Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've built a couple of vinyl kits before, mostly figures that were designed to hide or disguise seams. But recently I've acquired a few figure kits that will need some extra work to hide the seams. I don't think there will be any major gaps, just seams that shouldn't be as apparent as they would otherwise; anyone who has built the Screamin' Chewbacca or the Dark Horse King Kong and had to deal with the upper/lower torso joint will know exactly what I mean.

So here's my question: What products or techniques can you recommend that will make hiding the seams easier and produce better results? Also helpful would be products that will reinforce and maintain the integrity of the seams as the kit ages and begins to sag a bit. Now, I know nothing is foolproof because of the flexible nature of vinyl kits, but I'm hoping some of you have been building vinyl kits for a while and have discovered products that will withstand the test of time.

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
hey Zombie ,
i've always used vinyl spackling compound to do seam work on vinyl kits .
it's compatible and also has some give to it .
i think elmer's makes some that comes in fairly small containers , like a half pint or so .
apply it just as you would any other putty and you can texture it before it dries .
hope this helps man .
model on .
hb

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
One of the things I do to help the pieces meet better is I use a hair dryer on both pieces. While the are still hot I apply the "Super Jet" glue, be careful to not hover over the glued pieces b/c the heat make the glue fumes extra potent. Could cause your eyes to tear up badly. Press the two pieces together hard enough to cause some glue to seep, this will help to fill gaps.

Also, for the possible sagging you have to stuff your kit with so much material that the kit will not change too much over time.

Travis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts