Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK as I mentioned many times Im back from 1992... Right now I have a futaba Magnum FM radio... I want/need a new controller but am not 100% sold on what to get>>>

back in the day the best to get was a PCM radio but now I see a lot that are just FM HRS... what exactly is better PCM or FM HRS... I know that the FM HRS does digital servos but other than that are they better/worse than PCM..

Money is not an issue..so given no real budget constraint what radio setup would you buy for oval and why..

all input appreciated..

Kenwood

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
For oval most run the Futaba 3PK with the PCM reciever.
Some use the HRS for off-road and some oval mod racers use the HRS as well.
But for stock and 19T the PCM is the ticket.
The HRS just speeds up the frequency how I understand it, which for oval racing is not an issue.

Only bummer about the HRS is you have to run digital servo's with it.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the one I was looking at..3pk pcm... but since I did not know what the hrs was I wanted to check to make sure I was not buying something less desirable..

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree with erock! best investment I,ve ever made, Futaba Magnum 3PK-PCM. Solved a few problems I was having ( one of the tracks I race at has a cell phone tower within 100 feet of the back straight) it will help if you have a freind to help you learn this Transmitter cause its not simple.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
The best radio i ever owned was a JRXR3 FM.... i got it when it first came out,, i think i had it 5 years.. i never had a single problem with it ever.. i ran hitec dcx (dual conversion) reciever and crystals with it also... since i have upgraded to a ko mars... i like this radio because of the drop down wheel. its a comfort thing... but i have yet to have any issues with it either... the new ko helios seem to be a killer wheel also...

as for the 3pk. lots of guys i know love them... only problem i ever herad from 3 of them was some glitching... but what they found was the wire inside the radio that goes to the antenna came loose... the screw on it came loosend up ..a simple fix and back in business..

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have no reservations at all in recommending the Futaba 3PK and I too run it in the PCM mode. The radio is VERY user friendly while still having all of the adjustments you need and then some.

·
Registered
373 Posts
To me as of right now the KO Helios is it. I have used one several times(i dont own one) the balance is nice, lots of features. I do own an M8, I just got it about a month ago, I like it, but I wish I would have waited and got the Helois
Jimmy

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Go with the Futaba 3PK PCM -- it is awesome.

I've used mine now for about 6 months and it has been 100% flawless.

I had a Magnum FM before and had glitching problems -- since I got the 3PK PCM, zero glitches - nada, none, zip, zero. It's been PERFECT at every track.

I'm a happy camper with it -- I never have to worry about radio hits anywhere I go now.

:thumbsup:

J

·
0 Posts
I have been using FUTABA eversince I started R/C from stick type AM to pistol grip type FM to 3PB "brick" 1024 PCM to my 3PK HRS. I also use PCM receiver & Novak XXL aswell. Once they come out with synthesized RX/TX module combo for 3PK, that will probably the way to go. Will always stay with the same brand. So far 3PK Magnum not Megatech is the ticket. Futaba USA will not honor warranty on Megatech. Just a reminder 3PK have to be re-calibrated once a year and have to be done by FUTABA to keep it working in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i own both the 3pk hrs and a m8 i wont run my 3pk after driving a m8 there are definitely the smoothest radios there are. 3 pk is also a good radio it has alot of things you can do with three different levels of programming. i went for smooth i run oval concrete and carpet i choose the m8 hands down

1 - 11 of 11 Posts