Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie sort of. I had Aurora Tjets as a kid (that's 40 plus years ago). I have returned to the hobby and am having a great time with the little cars again. The question I have is how to break in the NOS Aurora chassis?? I have purchased many of them and now have a lot of cars that need some help to make them run better. I have siicone tires and such. Problem is I don't remember (comes with age i'm told) what to do with them other than oil them.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
A 9V battery works for me. I run it for 5-10 minutes, then reverse the battery and run it another 5-10 minutes. A little toothpaste in the gears helps a lot (baking soda brands works, too), but not too much.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yet another Washingtonian coming out of the woodwork, welcome!

Drop me an email and I will send you more than you ever wanted to know about getting T-Jets running.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would love to, the problem is, some of the stuff I have is Wrod docs and pdf's so it's hard to share on a board like this. I have found all of this stuff in various places on the web and by emailing some of the "big guys" in the fray world and they have been gracious enough to share their info with me. I am happy to give it out, just not sure how to do it.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Hi Jerry, I'm down in Shelton. Check out The Slot Fathers site for a really good check list of tech stuff. It's short and sweet and dead nuts on. For more advanced techniques go to HO World's site and ramble through the archives a bit. Like Marty said there is tons of info everywhere. I'd like to road trip to one of the events on the east side, when I finally get off my butt. If you would be interested we could hop the boat in Kingston, carpool and drop in from the north end.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Hi Jerry, I'm down in Shelton. Check out The Slot Fathers site for a really good check list of tech stuff. It's short and sweet and dead nuts on. For more advanced techniques go to HO World's site and ramble through the archives a bit. Like Marty said there is tons of info everywhere. I'd like to road trip to one of the events on the east side, when I finally get off my butt. If you would be interested we could hop the boat in Kingston, carpool and drop in from the north end.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Quick and dirty for breaking in a NOS Aurora TJET Chassis. Good for all chassis except slim-lines they need a little more TLC.

You need some good top plate oil. I like Break Free CLP It is s gun oil that is suppose to protect and bniot foul it also is suppose to bond to the metal at the molecule level. I also use Purple MAX. Lots of options in this department. You will also need a heavier oil for the bottom aramture hole. I use good old Thunder Oil. SOme people even use a grease in this area.

You will also need a dremel tool with a brass wire brush.

And a set of replacement Motor Brushes, Thunder Brushes, Wizzards, Tall Boys, HOWORLDS etc.

Remove the top gear plate then remove the ideler gear. Oil the rear cluster gear and the rear pinion also oil under the motor pinion gear. Now take the dremel tool and use it to drive the aramture pinion by pressing the wire brush against the pinion gear with the fremel running on high. You will hear the motor spin up. Run it up for about 20 - 30 sec. The use the dremel tool to drive the cluster gear then use it to drive the rear pinion.

Now oil the front and rear axels and the cluster gear hole at the rear of the chassis.

Install a new set of motor brushes. Reinstall the gear plate and drop a very small drop of thunder poil on the bottom armature hole.

Now I just go ahead and start running mine around the track at this point.

This will give you a decent runnning TJET. Good enough to see if it will be a decent runner. You can then do much much more to make it even better, but that another long write up.

Roger Corrie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts