Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a) like=states right on the package which release # the car is from.

b) like=states right on package when the casting is a new tool.

c) like=all this heavy plastic will protect the card and car for sure,great for the packages with cool card art.

d) dislike=this new design won't leave much room for any type of cool card art, so is the plastic overkill?

e) like=gold series muscle cars package states "limited edition 1 of 5000",tells how many in the release.

f) dislike=classic gold and muscle cars package states "limited edition collectible",why not state how many?

g) like=vehicle spec sheet and other facts on the back of the trading card.

anyone have any personal likes or dislikes you'd like to share?

thanks for listening :wave:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
triple20 said:
a) like=states right on the package which release # the car is from.

b) like=states right on package when the casting is a new tool.

c) like=all this heavy plastic will protect the card and car for sure,great for the packages with cool card art.

d) dislike=this new design won't leave much room for any type of cool card art, so is the plastic overkill?

e) like=gold series muscle cars package states "limited edition 1 of 5000",tells how many in the release.

f) dislike=classic gold and muscle cars package states "limited edition collectible",why not state how many?

g) like=vehicle spec sheet and other facts on the back of the trading card.

anyone have any personal likes or dislikes you'd like to share?

thanks for listening :wave:
i like all of your likes especially for how much better they protect the cars. this eliminates the need for a protecto and eliminates the worry of them ever getting wet and ruined. don't ask! :D
i open all but my whites so the only gripe i would have if i come across any whites would be the raised portion where the new JL logo is would make them more difficult for storage.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
likes;

Good physical work-out,while ripping open

uhmm,uhhh... that's it.

dislikes;

-way too much plastic -It was hard enough, storing cardboard cards without using a ton more plastic,in stacking tote boxes.

-a waste of global petroleum resources,etc (including recycling energy,if
applicable)
-weight and shape could have affect on costs of shipping and again, resources from larger/more cardboard boxes

-anti-biodegradable, will eventually create need for more landfills because it wont break down for decades.

*without being a total treehugger,I think there could be middle ground,where the packaging could be slimmed down.I wouldn't think less plastic would harm the integrety of the cars,or the package.
I mean does the Johnny Lightning logo REALLY need it's own diving platform?

Has any research been done on the effects of age on the plastic?
In time,will it yellow and crack like the blisters?

as you can plainly see...I'm definitely not a marketing engineer

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I just picked up my first new cars today, and so far, I agree with every point! So that must mean that I can't make up my mind! But the truth is that I really like it alot! I think the overall look is just great!

I open everything ( except Mustangs...don't ask!) so I don't really care, but I think the JL boys steped up the overall look! And that is importiant, because at $4 a pop, they needed to create a high scale package. And I think they did it.

I do like the neat specs on the back of the cards, but I do wish they had kept them full size. But overall, no real gripes. Well except for that $4 a car problem.

It's not a deal breaker for me, only because I collect castings, and not series. But I can truly say that my days of large bulk JL buying is GONE! I have several brands and scales of diecast I purchase, but I consider myself a COLLECTOR of only JL and GL. They will now help me keep my buying in check. But holding that 68' Olds 442 in my hand today says that I don't want them to cheapen the product. That's a great casting! So I seem to be stuck! I will still buy what I like, but I will be more picky about what I like!

I know that Diecast is a drain on RC2 right now ( read the industry notes in this months "Toy Cars & Models") but I hate that it has come to this pricing to make up for the soft sales!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

Dislikes:
its tacky looking
everything Rob said
yet another different shape to hang on the wall
and, it looks tacky.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Opening them is a fantastic pain in the umm-neck, storage will be a problem.
But the car/card will definitely be safe from anything short of say a workshop fire :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
One big dislike - the raised JL logo. This raised platform makes it hard to store the cards. The HW Holiday Rods or the Hall of Fame, for instance, are packaged in clamshells but store easy.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The package actually inspires me to open all of mine now.
And yeah it takes the Jaws of Life to open them. :roll:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Larger, thicker packaging means room on the pegs for fewer cars.

And diecast peg space is already at a premium now, with all of the new competition.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
My only comment is that I almost overlooked them when I was at W-M last week. Their packing looks like everyone else's now. Maybe once I get used to them I'll pick them out quicker.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Atencio said:
My only comment is that I almost overlooked them when I was at W-M last week. Their packing looks like everyone else's now. Maybe once I get used to them I'll pick them out quicker.
I agree. I think I passed up some of the coke cars because thew blended in so well. This may be a blessing. :confused:

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Don't like the new packaging.

Just made it cost more for us.

Put them on the "small red cards", $2.99 each and be done with it.

Pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I hate all the raised parts of the cards. Makes them almost impossible to display over laping the cards. Would have been better to do it like they did on the Pure Hell and the Pabst Blue Ribbon funny cars or even the Kiss funny cars.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think they should have just released everything in the smaller existing plastic Gold Series clamshell cards. They don't waste space, have a cleaner look, and they stack together better.

Then there would have been no reason for such a big price increase. (Package tooling already existed.)

Those card inserts can be updated easily with new art to differentiate between all of the series.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
BluntFronts said:
Larger, thicker packaging means room on the pegs for fewer cars.

And diecast peg space is already at a premium now, with all of the new competition.
the package at it's thickest point is still the same or possibly 1/8th of an inch thicker than the old ones. i really don't think these are going to take up any more peg space than the old ones did. ;)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The new package is too big and clunky and will be harder to display, hope they go back to one like the old one soon.

Probably gonna get JL a watesfull packaging award too. :(

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
FLAME SUIT ON!
no offense to some of you but i think you are just looking for reasons to complain because you don't like or cannot accept change. the new packaging isn't much bigger than the old packaging. the only difference where it would be more difficult to display is if you stack your cards on top of each other because of the raised portion where the new logo is. other than that, there really isn't much of a difference in thickness, no difference in width and a slight difference in height. i know some might argue so here are some pics.
here is the difference in thickness. at it's thickest point, it is only approx. 1/8th of an inch thicker than the old card while laying flat. it certainly isn't going to take up any more peg or wall space than the old packages!

here is the width difference. there is NONE! this certainly isn't going to take up any more peg or wall space width wise. this is a pic of an old card laying on top of a new one. you can see that there is no difference in width and only a slight difference in height. if you pin your cards to the wall, you will lose about 1/2 of an inch of height for each row of cars which would equal to losing 1 row every 8 or nine rows of the old cards.

the only factor i see for displaying or storing them would be is if you stack your cards on top of each other. this is where the raised logo comes into play and is a con for displaying them.

other than that, i really don't see what the big fuss is about the new packaging other than people are just used to the old packaging and are not open to changes. ;) why don't we put as much effort into worrying about what cars are in them and future releases instead of complaining about the package they come in? :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts