Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Veeerrry creapy yet facinating part of history, this unrestored car brings it all to life. I must admitt, I would LOVE to own this car!

One of 8 4dr 320 cabriolets ever made, all went to SS generals.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/hitler-drove-this-mercedes-or-did-he/

Curious to know what the other levers do.

A different article stated that the car will be left origonal an not restored...thank GOD someone has halfa brain!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
An Ebay find, that's ironic. They're leaving it original? Great! The car looks pretty darn good, who needs a total resto?

So how did a 1942 Mercedes that was used by the Nazis end up in New Jersey?“ The story is, an ex-Navy guy ended up with the car” after World War II, Mr. Daibes said. “The guy in the Navy smuggled it back on a ship, and it was in the basement of his house, where the garage was, when he died. We bought it from his grandson, who inherited it.”
How do you smuggle a ex-Nazi car onto a (US Navy?) ship, then stash it in your basement, that's what I'd like to know.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it said that he painted it black, I think that had something to do wit how he got away with it.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Oki, back to the car, why did they need a 4 door, as it because the generals always had drivers, or?
Possibly. Sometimes it might just be luxury. I drive a 4 door 2001 Volvo and I'm usually the only one in the car, no passengers. But when I saw it for sale, I was happy to get it even in that size. Is the original poster suggesting the car was a gift? Maybe it didn't matter then. A Benz needs to be big, never cared for the A class of today.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I know about spoils of war. My Grandfather brought back a German military issue Luger pistol, which apparently was a rather common item for GI's to bring back. But this is the first I've heard somebody claiming a whole car and bringing it back.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts

And Lummox, just because your ancestral people were Maineiacs should not reflect on you - well,maybe this is the exception to the rule. But we love you anyway, Brother Lum - youze the voice of reason...

Our ancestors are very important to each one of us. Whether our ancestral groups were wrong or were evil in history should not reflect on us in the present time. I view all you guys as my HT friends. Now let us all gather around the campfire for a chorus of Kumbaya. CraigO you take the first verse...

:wave:

Oh by the way, as a car that Benz is pretty cool...

:wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Politix.ocd.com

And Lummox, just because your ancestral people were Maineiacs should not reflect on you - well,maybe this is the exception to the rule...
:lol: HA! Your whole post was funny as ache-e-double honkey sticks!
A truly comedic mind with a Yankee bite...love it!

·
Administrator
28,785 Posts
Felt this one was worthy of a bone yard save as well.

GENTLE REMINDER - NO POLITICS! :cheers2:

Readers digest reminder - keep it about the car.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
It is lovely Lum and I'd love to have it as well. German engineering at it's peak, even a low-line 4 door cab has exceptional attention to detail. I think Horch (pre Audi) came close. Kept as found is how she should stay...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts