Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is MR's 31" Disney Nautilus with added LED's to the interior of the wheel house, aligator eyes and the side sopt lights, I even lit up the dive/depth tower with a blue led pushed in the floor.

There are two surface mount style amber led's on the wheelhouse cieling, installed a better rear wheelhouse window and a real wood finish on the map table.

The Iris on the other side is still open cuz pics are being sent to the EMP Sci-Fi museum in Seattle for Paul Allen's buyer to look at....then 'maybe' if they are interested we will discuss how it will be powered....or it will be an eebay thing to help with Wonderfest fundage $.

I normaly would not dream of selling an item like this but there are still a few kits of this same design out there and I plan on getting one....I just gotta build Nemo's salon.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen that one before....very cool.

Its amazing the 'depth' that some of the nautilus fans go to. These guys have serious cash to burn and plenty of time on thier hands.

I think that 1/72 / 1/69th (31") is a perfect scale for the Nautilus.

FACT: Did you'all know that Harper Goff who designed the Disney Nautilus also designed the Proteus from Fantastic Voyage? cool huh.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mr Goff was also a railroader fan. Many photos in model railroad mags. A very talented man.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Beautiful work, Fluke!

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pal!

I wish I can say that I built and painted her.. but.. oh well.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words gents! :)

This SHOULD be a model kit!

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Fantastic Voyage were both directed by the same man (Richard Fleischer,) hence the Harper Goff connection. Goff also designed the Jungle Cruise boats at Disneyland, as well as the Great Glass Wonkavater.

Great job, Fluke. I've got one of the old Icons subs, but I've never been able to bring myself to crack her open for lighting. Sure looks cool, though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The cover art for the 1955 Whitman Publishing book version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was done by John Steel, who was then doing art for Skin Diver magazine and who would go on to create great box art for Revell, Aurora, Lindberg, and Monogram.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you want to see two outstanding rendition of the Disney Nautilus go to www.fxmodels.com then click on Custom Work and go to 1/32 Nautilus Interior, from there click on pictures of finished model to see the completed model that the interior was built for. Once you've seen all that, go back to Custom Work and scroll on down and click on Disney Nautilus to see an earlier model that these guys built!

There are a few other goodies on that site including an 8ft 6 in Seaview WITH interior! and a 44 inch Eagle.
These guys do lots of real Submarine models - they really know Nuke subs! - Of course they're in Grotton CT! Puts them pretty close to the real items!

Dave

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This one's 1/48 scale:

Some people are just crazy. ;)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
fluke said:
FACT: Did you'all know that Harper Goff who designed the Disney Nautilus also designed the Proteus from Fantastic Voyage? cool huh.
He also created the early renderings of Walt Disney's ideas for a "Mickey Mouse Park" -- which evolved into Disneyland -- and he played a role in the design for several areas in Walt Disney World.

Qapla'

SSB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts