The real challange in making this model will be painting the overall green camouflage and still making it look interesting. I will be doing some careful work with the airbrush by adding some pre-shading and lightening a few select panels here and there to represent some subtle paint fading.
I have this bad luck thing going on with Japanese WWII aircraft. Half the ones I start building develop some problem, either small and annoying, or big and disasterous, that makes me give up the build. Maybe it's because Dad shot so many of them down .
I totally ruined Tamiya's Jack. I started Tamiya's old A6M5 about a month ago and ruined the canopy. I started Hasegawa's A6M5 figuring, how could THAT go wrong? Well it has horrible wing root gaps that I just did NOT feel like dealing with... I hope the curse doesn't continue with that big expensive 1/32 Shinden I have!
Thanks Cro-Magnon Man,
After painting the cockpit on this model I can see why the Japanese lost the production war against the U.S., there was quite a variation in paint colors used in the cockpits of Japanese airplanes and it gives the impression they did not have much planning or experience for mass producing warplanes with efficiency.
I stopped work on this model for a short time and built (and finished) another Tamiya kit but have returned to the Type 11, I might have another in-progress pic of this model posted later today. Right now I am masking the clear parts in preperation of painting to come.
The last look of the cockpit before the canopy has been glued on for good.
The model was just given a light coat of the base green color, after its dry I will start the fading of the uppersurface color by spraying on variations of green.
The lower surfaces will get slightly darker shades of green on a few random panels.
I started adding the paint fading to the uppersurfaces by spraying on some different shades of green in streaks and mottles on random panels.
The wing roots were given dense small mottling in a light tan color...this is the area where much of the paint chipping will be and I wanted the paint here to look more distressed than the rest of the airframe.
Hope you start using your airbrush, its the easy way to paint your models.
More in-progress pics...the messy looking paint fading effects have now been covered up by a thin coat of the base green color, I was careful to not cover up too much of the paint fading and want just enough of it to still be visable. After the flat coat is sprayed on some of this paint fading effect will be further muted so I can't tone it down much more than I already have.
The engine cowls have also been weathered but have no pics of them right now. Next up for this model I will mask off and paint the yellow ID markings on the leading edges of the wings.