Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A model a little bit out of my comfort zone is this 1/48 scale Tamiya Nakajima Type 11 Irving.

Some in-progress pics of the cockpit...

There are a few more parts I need to add inside the fuselage halves before I can close them up for good.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks philo426!

The real challange in making this model will be painting the overall green camouflage and still making it look interesting. I will be doing some careful work with the airbrush by adding some pre-shading and lightening a few select panels here and there to represent some subtle paint fading.

Agentsmith

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
I have this bad luck thing going on with Japanese WWII aircraft. Half the ones I start building develop some problem, either small and annoying, or big and disasterous, that makes me give up the build. Maybe it's because Dad shot so many of them down :).

I totally ruined Tamiya's Jack. I started Tamiya's old A6M5 about a month ago and ruined the canopy. I started Hasegawa's A6M5 figuring, how could THAT go wrong? Well it has horrible wing root gaps that I just did NOT feel like dealing with... I hope the curse doesn't continue with that big expensive 1/32 Shinden I have!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
BTW, in the NY/NJ area, we pronounce that "Oyving." :)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
philo426 and John,
Nice job on the Japanese aircraft models!

I have a handfull of kits of Japanese planes and the one that I like the most is the Tamiya Dinah, the Dinah is the best looking twin engined prop aircraft of the war.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Great work everybody - as ever agentsmith, philo426 and as always JohnP. The Japanese war effort is a curious subject: ruthless and clever in attacking objectives; steam-rollered in defending them.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Cro-Magnon Man,
After painting the cockpit on this model I can see why the Japanese lost the production war against the U.S., there was quite a variation in paint colors used in the cockpits of Japanese airplanes and it gives the impression they did not have much planning or experience for mass producing warplanes with efficiency.

More in-progress pics...

Agentsmith

·
Registered
531 Posts
Very nice work so far. I like the look of Japanese Aircraft as they came out with some interesting designs.....Cheers mark

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mark and giant monster!

I stopped work on this model for a short time and built (and finished) another Tamiya kit but have returned to the Type 11, I might have another in-progress pic of this model posted later today. Right now I am masking the clear parts in preperation of painting to come.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks iamweasel and Phillip!

The last look of the cockpit before the canopy has been glued on for good.

The model was just given a light coat of the base green color, after its dry I will start the fading of the uppersurface color by spraying on variations of green.
The lower surfaces will get slightly darker shades of green on a few random panels.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A base coat of Nakajima green has been sprayed on, after the paint is dry I will start the paint fading process.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started adding the paint fading to the uppersurfaces by spraying on some different shades of green in streaks and mottles on random panels.
The wing roots were given dense small mottling in a light tan color...this is the area where much of the paint chipping will be and I wanted the paint here to look more distressed than the rest of the airframe.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks John!
Hope you start using your airbrush, its the easy way to paint your models.

More in-progress pics...the messy looking paint fading effects have now been covered up by a thin coat of the base green color, I was careful to not cover up too much of the paint fading and want just enough of it to still be visable. After the flat coat is sprayed on some of this paint fading effect will be further muted so I can't tone it down much more than I already have.

The engine cowls have also been weathered but have no pics of them right now. Next up for this model I will mask off and paint the yellow ID markings on the leading edges of the wings.

Agentsmith

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More painting and some weathering...

The yellow ID markings have been masked and sprayed on the leading edges of the wings.
Also I started adding some paint chipping to the wing roots.

Agentsmith

1 - 20 of 37 Posts