Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang! In an effort to kick start my '07 kit building, I have been working on two Mystery Machines. One I had purchased when they first came out to build for one of my daughters. The oher I had bought for myself, the later issue with the prepainted figures.

I happened to finish the newer one first ( I had painted the kits at the same time.) Turning to the older version, OH MY GOD!! How did they expect a kid to put this together!?!? I am STRAINING to get some of the things snapped together, i.e.: the headlight rims into the body? Holy Crap! Sure, I know I could do some sanding on pieces to ease the fit, but, wasn't the purpose of the kit to be an easy to build kit for youngsters?

Did any of you find this to be true? Yes, I understand that OBVIOUSLY SOMEBODY realized it, since (Duh!?!?) the kit got changed! Man, what a difference between the two versions.

My point? Just another reason my hat is off, in retrospect, to Polar Lights, for being such a great company! Not every company would have said, "Hey, guys, there are some problems on this kit (after it's already in production). Let's fix 'em"!!

Thanks again for all you did for us!!

Wayne

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i babysat a friend's son a while back and thought it would be cool to kill a couple of hours building a model with him .
he's big Scooby fan so i brought home the MM for us to do . meaning to let him do most of the work , but as we progressed i had to help more and more .
and i have to agree , there are some steps that i just can't see a kid who's never built a model being able to do . heck it was even tough for me .
but we did have fun and it turned out okay .
hb

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I actually built the MM that PL/PM took around on their tours at hobby shows & conventions. It was the first run & one of the first kits to come in from China. From what I remember, I really didn't have problems with the kit in terms of fitting parts into place. The only problem I had was when removing one of the roof racks from the sprue- it snapped in two. If you look at the promotional fliers & brochures from PL, look at the rear rack. It's bowed a bit higher than the front one. :eek:

I do have one of the new ones in the stash waiting to be built. I'll have to see what the differences are, if I can recall from that long ago! :freak:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was some part.....I think it was the seat....that took me a heck of a long time to get inside the van because it was such a tight fit. I can't remember how I got it in, but I remember someone on this board told me later there had been a much easier way to do it. As for the headlight rims....I think I had indentations in my thumbs for awhile after I was done with them.

·
Curmudgeon
6,638 Posts
I built one of the early kits for a friend as a bit of a gag gift a few years ago. From what little I can remember ("Hi, the name's Al Zheimer; have we met?") part fit was okay for the most part, except for the rear doors; good luck gettin' those to stay on if you don't glue 'em.

However, it's absolutely impossible to glue Scooby's tail on as indicated on the instruction sheet and have him sit normally in the seat--there is simply no clearance for the tail (which, btw, is nothing more than a p.o.s. "s" shaped piece that looks nothing like the way Scooby's tail was ever drawn). I fabricated a new one from some of the kit's sprue that not only looked far better, but was shaped so that Scooby could sit properly on the seat. Since it doesn't really show anyway, you could probably just leave it on the sprue.

Also, if you put Shaggy's in the driver's seat before you assemble the body and chassis, his arms and the steering wheel obstruct one another. I left his arms off, assembled the body to the chassis, shoved Shaggy in through the window, glued his arms on (so they'd rest properly on the steering wheel), and touched up the paint on his shirt after he was positioned inside the van. With the rubber prepainted figures included in later versions of the kit, I would imagine this problem doesn't exist.

Don't even get me started on those dumb-ass stickers that came with the kit. What were they thinking? Not only didn't they fit well, but you have to have the manual dexterity of an astronaut to get 'em to line up properly. :freak: There is a replacement decal set available through Steve Iverson's Cult TV Man website, but it's only the orange "Mystery Machine" lettering and flowers--you'd have to paint the lime green pattern yourself.

Like almost ever kit Polar Lights produced, once it's finished it's a great looking kit, but it takes some work getting there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts