Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everybody

Here is my finished AMT Ent1701. It was given to me in an extremely sorry state, very poorly painted and finished. I had to strip and disassemble every part. I thought about going for grey, but my choice in end was to build and paint it as I remember doing it as a child. Decals are of course from JT Graphics - it was first time I have used 3rd party decals and I was amazed at their quality, they make regular kit decals look pretty crude in comparison.

Note that I made one glaring error with placing a whole block of hull windows about 1 cm too far to the rear! I should have looked at PL's pictures for the best reference, oh dear (!!!), well I guess it makes my Ent very unique.

I don't expect applause, it's very much 'out of the box' (although I am thinking about some pastel weathering), just to show you that I am still builiding...

Cheers
Fox

Attachments

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I've always held a special affection for those old kits. Especially the early ones. I've built many over the years, and rebuilt others that I was given. I still have quite a few.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support!
Yeah, there is something special about that AMT kit, it really goes to the heart when I think about watching StarTrek for the first time more than 30 years ago, so I couldn't stand seeing this great little kit go without some love and attention.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I like it, very retro. Yea I got 2 unopened and 2 unbuilt in pieces. I just found a box of old models and pieces. Found TOS 1701,STMP klingon, K-7, and original TOS BOP.
So I know the feeling of having the old ships. Always fun to work on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lloyd, yeah 'retro' is a good description, I remember it as white rather than light grey, given the limits of our TV and technology at the time.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
It does look really good. I have an old lighted version that I need to finish. Got the JT decals for mine too, but the battery deal, with the sides having to be left unglued is stressing me out. Yours sure brings back memories.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looks nice, a job well done. I've built a couple of these in my lifetime but the one I remember the most fondly was the one I built while staying at my Grandmother's house during a summer long ago. Testors glue in the air and Kiss on the 8-track.

In fact, yours looks so nice I tried to find the latest one I've started. I'm only far enough along to have drilled some of the viewports. Problem is I can't seem to find it! I did find four (different) others but not that one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Falcon, F91 and FMM for your generous comments. Considering I did nothing special for it, and a standard white, it does not neat IMHO - Testors Dullcoat does wondrous things for that final finish. I was also toying over the lights, but that horrid seam in the hull is something I don't think I could hide well at all. A solution would be to have the wires exit the hull bottom for external power supply I guess.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Kaos, I can't believe how I goofed so badly on the windows, the JT Graphics instructions were a little ambiguous in one spot, if I had only done my homework properly with PL's references! I know we are are hangin' out for the 1/350th...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very nice. I've got two of them. Both in varying stages of completion. I've added rhinestones as phasers to the saucer in similar spots as on the Refit/A.

If Ertl got permission to make a few tweaks to that kit and reissue it(perhaps a SOLID base, maybe?), I think it'd STILL sell.

(Just, PLEASE, ERTL...If you DO...Give us a NEW decal sheet...With accurate lettering...)

And while they're at it, maybe they can BURN the tooling for thier HORRIBLE refit....So we can be SURE we'll NEVER have to endure it again!

(P.S.: I like the ceramic stand! :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Capt A. Hmmm... interesting thought, although I wonder if the PL 1/1000th kit sort of makes an AMT re-issue a little risky, especially since the PL model is so accurate and excellent value for money.

I never had an AMT Ent Refir - I had no idea it was so dodgy!
Cheers
Fox

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
Great job on the kit!

Reminds me of long ago! Great model kit in many ways. It is canon since the model kit appeared on the show at least three times. Your choice of decals really enhanced it a great deal.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
Great job on the kit!

Reminds me of long ago! Great model kit in many ways. It is canon since the model kit appeared on the show at least three times. Your choice of decals really enhanced it a great deal.
I am a such a nonconformist, I like the AMT the way it is. I would say it would be canon,since if it was on screen it is official. So if you buy conversion kits, it is no longer canon.

Got to go as all aftermarket parts makers throw rocks,sticks and AMT kits at me(DUCK). :lol:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Strictly speaking. If you want a model kit canon to what was seen in the original series, you would have to acquire one of the early releases, prior to when they made the new molds in 1975, when they changed the parts for easier assembly and added the "balls" to the nacelle end caps. We're talking "large box" kit, here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts