Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local WM today after seeing everyone saying alot of em had JL's for a buck. Well i got there and looked in the clearance isle and the toy isle.

Not a single JL to be seen anywhere :cry: i figured what ever was there for a $1 i was buying it all but i guess not, well the old ones that is but there was 6 pegs full of the new ones. Pony power, caddys, gold collection ect. So if theres anyone looking for anything lemme know id be more then happy to check back and see if theres anything anyone needs.

i did grab the 2+2 from the pony power series. They were all under $4. But i noticed the gold series was priced at over $4. Is it because of the massive amount of packaging?

Which is where my question comes in why the need for the huge package on the gold collection cars? Ya sure cant very many of those on a peg.

any comments?

I will add i do like the new pacakgeing at least ya don need protectors and have to worry about the cards getting banged up over time.

I also picked up the foose 2 car set of the msutangs and a 1 badd ride 2005 mustan GT (BLOWN)

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
The gold series cars have better detail and they come in a box suitable for display thus demanding a far larger and more extravagant package.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah ok that makes sence i didnt look at em to close so thats why i was asking ,but thanks for the reply.

I would say on the other new packaging they could get rid og the big buldge at the top of the package wher it says JL on it.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Atencio said:
The gold series cars have better detail and they come in a box suitable for display thus demanding a far larger and more extravagant package.
The better detail is not an excuse or requirement for the extravagant package. This is Mattel thinking at it's worst. The better detail in the regular clamshell packaging would sell just as well at the lower price point, or a modest increase from it to justify the detail, but that is it.

I'm so sick of paying extra for packaging that is hitting the landfill or recycle bin. As for those that collect packaging and protectors, I gotta believe that they'd prefer a slightly lower investment. The packaging is heavier and larger, making storage problematic and taking up more valuable display space.

G

·
CTWLSMIKE said:
The better detail is not an excuse or requirement for the extravagant package. This is Mattel thinking at it's worst. The better detail in the regular clamshell packaging would sell just as well at the lower price point, or a modest increase from it to justify the detail, but that is it.

I'm so sick of paying extra for packaging that is hitting the landfill or recycle bin. As for those that collect packaging and protectors, I gotta believe that they'd prefer a slightly lower investment. The packaging is heavier and larger, making storage problematic and taking up more valuable display space.
Second that! You know it's getting bad when the packaging outweighs the diecast metal car.

From a collector's standpoint, I'd prefer simpler packaging. Recent MB Superfast releases are good examples. They store real easy. (Cool box art too.)

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
While I like the detail on the Gold Series cars, there is a problem with the packaging they now come in. Unlike the new clamshell packaging of regular JLs, the GS packaging is not entirely tamper-proof as evidenced by what I encountered at a TRU a few months ago. The 'security' tapes on the package can be carefully pulled aside, package opened, car removed from display case, cheaper car replaced in display, and tapes smoothed back into place. The sides should be heat-sealed like the other clamshells.

*tosses two pennies into the hat*

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The new packaging LOOKS great though and will definitely protect better, but I'm not crazy about it since I open most of mine to display. Anybody have a good method for getting into them?? My scissors don't seem to work so well with the heat sealed corners and the angles of the blister :(

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
The better detail is not an excuse or requirement for the extravagant package.
It was a tongue in check response about the package.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts