Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some think it's dumb collecting "little cars" :rolleyes: .. It's not dumb .. It's just a genetic defect.. Sure beats being creatively challenged..

Some pics of slight modifications for you other defects to enjoy ...

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
ECchopper was right! The black Merc Woody does need whitewalls. Gonna have to do that tire swap. :thumbsup:
That gold Mustang w/ gold rims looks great! :cool:

I'm sure glad my genes are defective! :freak:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Nice Pics.

I don't think that it is a defect, just more of a perception. The reason I collect these little cars is because I like cars and I know that I could not afford most of the ones in my collection if they were not toys.
Maybe I am still a "little kid", but if that were the case why haven't grown out of this "Stage" yet.
I have tried other Hobbies and I like this one the best. Considering the price of this one versus my Knife and Sword Collection or Book collection or My Dad's Coin collection. 3 dollars for a piece is cheaper than 50+ dollars for a piece.
I think this is better than collecting stamps or butterflys or having green toads or Elephants.
I can understand bells because one can play with those.
So this is not a Stupid Hobby!!!
just my opinion
Richard

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
summitdrinker said:
I have had few say it's crazy to me.......but there 40 years old and the only hobby they have is drinking beer and watching TV
That's why they think it's crazy, spending money that could go for more beer...lol!

Actually, when I was a kid, I used to draw Spiderman and buy comic book. Some relatives said I was crazy, wasting my money and time on something i couldn't eat or keep a roof over my head. No future for me. Those same people said they were proud of me, or always knew I would make it when I actually worked on comic books for a living. Back then, that made me angry. Now I know everyone just has to figure out their life and find their own way. All anyone can do is their best juggling life's burdens. Who knows what some of those people were dealing with back when I was a kid. But I also learned we need to listen to our own voice...and have faith in our dreams.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I hear the same thing !!! I always set up a display everyday at my work bench and boy the days i don't bring any cars in do i hear it ---- What no cars today?? Uhhh So i think others would like to collect also but afraid of what others might think --- I gave up smoking 5 years ago and decided I'm gonna start collecting diecast --- well one leads to two and it just gets addictive!!!! I think i spend way more then ever did smoking but i sure as heck have lots more fun!!!!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, some of my friends feel I'm nuttier than squirrel turds too...

...but it is my only vice, it makes me REALLY happy, and when they all come over to my house its funny how all at once they want to see and get their hands on my cars :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nothing amazes me more than somebody telling me I'm wasting my money, while they're smoking a cigarette!!
I couldn't care less what other people think of me or my hobby. The only people that matter are the three that I live with, and they seem just fine with me and my faults. Of course, my wife was around when my hobbies were drinking and smoking, so she certainly understands that there are worse things I could do with my time. Her only issue is that we are running out of space. She doesn't mind all of the toys I have on display, and I have a lot, it's just the ones that are in boxes that are starting to take over the house. ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think if did not have this as a hobby I would spend my money on something stupid.Yes my wife tells to stop because I am running out room for them.I have 4 big totes full of diecast cars in packages ,6 cases full ,a shelve that holds about 96 cars ,and 7 cardboard boxes full.Ilove them!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When I first started collecting JL's 10 years ago I got a lot of crap from my wife about "growing up" and "living a second childhood". She spent countless dollars buying and painting pottery, material for baskets, etc. Well, she and her kindergarten crafts are long gone so I don't have to qualify my hobby/addiction/obsession to anyone. My nieces and nephews love looking at my displays and I enjoy switching cars on them and seeing if they can identify new additions when they visit. I really don't give crap what anybody thinks. To me these cars are little works of art, not toys. I turned 43 years old yesterday and if this is as mature as I'm gonna get then so be it. :p :wave:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
As others have said , Id rather spend my money on the cars & have something , rather than beer or cigarettes , they just go away & need constant replenishing .. Ive never smoked & couldnt imagine wasting thousands of dollars every year on the smelly things !

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Hey SipperC, a late happy birthday to you!

I have a very obsessive / compulsive personality. If I drank, I would have been an alcoholic. But instead, I buy toy cars so I'm broke. Same basic principle!

I actually get very little flak from family and friends. Family loves me ( remember , love covers a multitude of sin!) and friends wrote me off as nuts long ago! So it's all good!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey Scrambler81, I have plenty of room at my place! want my addy?? :lol: . But seriously folks, If you didn't do the die cast thing like all have stated already, beer & cigs both of those are long gone from my want's or needs. I personaly moved on to bigger & better things COLLECTING DIE CAST!!! after all what do you have to show for your money that you spent on that stuff???? Atleast I and fellow collectors can show you where some of the money went!! :thumbsup: :wave: ZF PS Happy Birthday SkipperC :hat:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts