Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an awesome place and so glad I found it. Well, I posted these pictures of the Seaview I did a few days ago and I guess I should do a forum piece on it.
As a 43 year old I was born at a time when the great Aurora kits were released and by the time I was old enough to have watched all those great Sci-Fi shows of the 60's in reruns, the models had run their course and were gone. I did from time to time see the reissue of the Seaview in the 1975 box and along with the Godzilla Glow reissue managed to get my hands on both when I was 11 years old. Unfortunately, my artistic side did not kick in until I was much older and I did not have the proper tools like airbrushes and super glue to work with and those models ended up a mess.
With reissue by Polar Lights I was able to do them right and as an adult pick up extra kits to put away for any possible emergency...(Like my kid getting her hands on it! LOL) This kit was great to put together other than the windows which everyone talks about. I did a simple diorama and like the TV Show decided to just add things that would not really be seen for real.
There are alot of Seaviews on here and they all look great so here is mine.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Nice! I like the working lights! Great job! :thumbsup:

With mine the glass window part fit soo poorly that I had to fair it in with putty and by the time the gaps were filled I just ended up painting the windows on.:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I intend to do on the windows is use a thick flexible clear plastic like what is used in name badges. First, do a scale size rendering of a better window layout. Then print that onto a sticker sheet or bumper sticker sheet and apply it to the clear flexible plastic film.
Finally, lightly cut out the lines of the windows (but not remove them) trim around outside edge of design to fit snug in opening and cement down with non-hazing cement. small amount of putty if needed, paint window frames and surrounding area, and remove stickers from windows and there you have crisp windows with frames that look good.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Very , very cool looking!:cool::thumbsup:

Inspiring build!:)
-Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Another shot of the Seaview

The front nose of the submarine has not yet been finished due to more lighting and such which is why there is still a gap between the lower hull and upper hull around the searchlight nose. It will be filled and sanded once the lighting and new window plates are in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts