Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Will say who ever does the paint matching at Tamiya for the can tops needs to be fired. :) Not even close.
LOL, yeah.
From what I can tell (colours on monitors & phones are never very accurate either), as-32 is good, but still on the slightly dark side for me. Right colour though... makes me more sure that my formula above will work. Seven days until I get the rattler...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
LOL, yeah.
From what I can tell (colours on monitors & phones are never very accurate either), as-32 is good, but still on the slightly dark side for me. Right colour though... makes me more sure that my formula above will work. Seven days until I get the rattler...
Too bad you don't have an airbrush. I'd send you a bottle of ACE Shady Cove. It's enamel tractor paint.
Only comes in gloss, is thick as hell, and takes like a week to fully cure.
I had to buy a whole quart of it when I built my 1/1000 TOS E so I have a lot left in the can.
Paul Newitt said it was close to the right color for the classic TOS Enterprise when he did his analysis of various paint brands years ago. Grey with a very slight olive tone:

Shady Cove
by Steve J, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Here it is next to the model plastic colour in daylight
. When as- 32 comes I'll see if it's a good addition- if not, this is what I'll go with even though it's a bit low on the olive & blue levels.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I admire all the experimentation you’ve put into your color choices. I think you’ve arrived at your best solution.
Thanks. Patience is not my strong suit, but this is not something I'm likely to do more than once. I*need* to not look back & curse myself that I rushed it. Even if the lighting should fail at some future point in time (hopefully unlikely, but I have a backup plan for that too, just in case), this will still be MY 'perfect' Holy Grail of models. ;) When my time comes to join the Great Bird Of The Galaxy, I want my Son to look at this giant work of art, and pause to thoughtfully mutter, "Where TF am I gonna put this?" :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I've also decided that the faint deflector grid lines will be the very last thing I do when painting. If I do them in between hull colour & registration & marking masks, the lines & flat clear coat will just get pulled off in places.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My quest for hull colour from rattle cans has ended. Tamaya as-32 for the hue, a very light dusting of as-16 to lighten the value a bit.
Hi . New person here, i have been enjoying following your build. I am also working on the same kit, albeit a little more slowly. FWIW i noticed a Kreylon color the other day at Loewes Gloss Pewter Gray that actually looks pretty close to the hull color to my eyes.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts