Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
BANNED
7,904 Posts
not being well up on all the facts, .....
what is the "rust ring" ?
wouldn't star ships be constructed of something more exotic than steel.
perspiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
not being well up on all the facts, .....
what is the "rust ring" ?
wouldn't star ships be constructed of something more exotic than steel.
perspiring minds want to know.
It's a partial rust colored ring on the upper saucer located between the NCC-1701 ship's registry and the front rim.
Theories as to its origin abound but the most likely answer is... nicotine stains left by the fingertips of the stage hands from when they grabbed the saucer to move the model around. They all smoked heavily back in the 60's.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mach7,
I heard about that issue with those lighting kit strip connectors from others back when I was building my big E kit. I just soldered all the contacts from the git go. Didn’t want to experience the pain John Payne felt when half his saucer lights went out after he’d sealed his up.
Originally when I pulled the trigger on buying this kit I was intending not to light it up- but then I found that the PL lighting kit requited no soldering, and that's WHY I decided to go for it.
I lit up & made talk a Masudaya LIS Robot for a client once & I had to teach myself how to solder to do it with all the resistors & crap... my least favourite job ever, even though it came out nice in the end.
If I close this up and some set of lights stops working, I'll tear it open the port side, fix it, and turn it into an exact replica of the 11 footer with that side all no windows & big fake wires on it! LOL!

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just a personal note here: last time I made any kit bigger than the PL 1/1000 was the AMT kit in the 70's... more than once. My GOD this kit is brilliant! No plastic curved hook to anchor the pylon nonsense here! No endless scotch taping to align the nacelles!!! THIS is engineering.
Sorry, my inner 15 year old needed to express. ;)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Just a personal note here: last time I made any kit bigger than the PL 1/1000 was the AMT kit in the 70's... more than once. My GOD this kit is brilliant! No plastic curved hook to anchor the pylon nonsense here! No endless scotch taping to align the nacelles!!! THIS is engineering.
You mean you didn’t like the old clip and stirrup pylon attachment system? I’m SHOCKED! 😳The first time I built the 18 inch kit I was 10.
Of course I squirted a ton of styrene cement all over the clip hoping that would make it stronger when all it did was soften the plastic and make the nacelles droop even more! 🤬
I didn’t care too much though, I was just so happy!
I had the ENTERPRISE!!!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Yup, Jamie over at R2 did a great job on this kit and the new eagle kits. Overall they are VERY well engineered.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
So the appearance on TV from "The Trouble with Tribbles".

As luck would have it, the filming model was restored in 2017 to the condition/color/setup as seen during the filming of this show by the Smithsonian.

I used to get down to DC for work and have many photo's of the restored Enterprise on display. I would be happy to share them with you if you want.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So the appearance on TV from "The Trouble with Tribbles".

As luck would have it, the filming model was restored in 2017 to the condition/color/setup as seen during the filming of this show by the Smithsonian.

I used to get down to DC for work and have many photo's of the restored Enterprise on display. I would be happy to share them with you if you want.
Yes, PLEASE!

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can post them here, email them to you, or send you a flash drive. I have about 100.
They were all taken with my iPhone.
100! Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd find them fascinating- how about the best ones on here? Or I could message you my email...

21 - 40 of 68 Posts