Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I'd do this one, but in the middle of this pandemic I pulled the financial trigger and here I am.
Wasn't gonna light it, but then I stopped being stupid. Got the PL lighting kit too.
Been taking it slow.
My life has been building up to this... I was six when I started watching it, was almost a teen when I started making AMT models of it (so many- getting the struts & nacelles straight was all too challenging. It involved tons of Scotch tape... ).
Half a Century later I'm doing it again.
I want to do it with a tiny twist. It has to look like a mix of the Enterprise I grew up with on TV, the 11' filming miniature, and a realistic in-person spaceship.
I can do that.
Probably. We'll see.
Technical: no frost on windows to invite interesting hot spots at certain angles. Tamiya AS-11 as hull colour. Aztek Dummy window & registration masks (not a fan of decals).

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yahoo! Finally building your grail kit! Good man! I’m looking forward to watching you as you go on this great journey.
Tell me... will you be filling in the gridlines?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yahoo! Finally building your grail kit! Good man! I’m looking forward to watching you as you go on this great journey.
Tell me... will you be filling in the gridlines?
No grid lines in this version. If there were I might not have even thought about doing it. Painting this beast will be the biggest challenge though. That's where my fun begins.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent the rest of today sanding the unseemly strut & nacelle seams. When you switch from 150 to 400 sandpaper and aren't pressing that hard you know you're basically done. ;)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No, have you used them on yours?
Yes. I added them to the observation gallery above the back wall of the shuttlebay and behind a few of the external window ports. I think I have quite a few leftover if you think you want to give them a try. They truly add a sense of scale to the ship. I can mail some to you if you want them.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. I added them to the observation gallery above the back wall of the shuttlebay and behind a few of the external window ports. I think I have quite a few leftover if you think you want to give them a try. They truly add a sense of scale to the ship. I can mail some to you if you want them.
Yeah, if you could send me like 5 I'd use 'em!
Meanwhile I'm finding all sorts of little areas to do extra light blocking on, including along the seams. Perks of going slowly...

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK. I got your PM with your address and I’ll mail them to you Chris. Not sure if I need your last name or not though.

Steve
Chrisisall will do, Steve! LOL! Small town. Post lady will smile.
Gosh, this will take more time. I'm only doing this once. Doing tests on hull colour. Tamiya as-11 was my first choice, but it looks a little dark. Ordered as-16 to see if a light overspray will get it to where I want it (basically I want a fully well lit filming miniature with weathering). Hull colour is absolutely key for me...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Chrisisall will do, Steve! LOL! Small town. Post lady will smile.
Gosh, this will take more time. I'm only doing this once. Doing tests on hull colour. Tamiya as-11 was my first choice, but it looks a little dark. Ordered as-16 to see if a light overspray will get it to where I want it (basically I want a fully well lit filming miniature with weathering). Hull colour is absolutely key for me...
Are you only looking at spray cans? I mixed up a whack of tests using Tamiya acrylic paints and this one looks good to me (less green than the studio miniature; trying to get it like I see it on the screen)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have the shadow casters, and have used a few on mine.
The Paragrafix PE set has some figures also.

I used some on my bridge:

What lighting will you use?
I sprang for the R2 kit and have had issues with it. I've been slowly working on it for years and I'll be amazed if it all works in the end.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the shadow casters, and have used a few on mine.
The Paragrafix PE set has some figures also.

I used some on my bridge:

What lighting will you use?
I sprang for the R2 kit and have had issues with it. I've been slowly working on it for years and I'll be amazed if it all works in the end.
I have the Polar Lights lighting kit I got from a dude that lost interest in doing it. I'm working on this slowly as well- if this kit doesn't work there is always TenaControls. I was looking to get off lightly in terms of dollars. What were your issues with it, btw?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I could not get the connectors to be reliable. After many attempts I ended up scrapping all the quick connectors in the primary hull and the neck. I ended up soldering all of then. NOT fun! They all worked the last time I tested them 2 years ago. I'm almost done with the primary hull, I'm just working on a shim for the impulse engines.

For what it's worth, the consensus back a few years ago was Tamiya AS-2 IJN light gray was the closest spray can on the market. I think it was just missing a bit of green?

This is with the color:

Just note that the rust ring is in the wrong place in the 1st photo.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Mach7,

I heard about that issue with those lighting kit strip connectors from others back when I was building my big E kit. I just soldered all the contacts from the git go. Didn’t want to experience the pain John Payne felt when half his saucer lights went out after he’d sealed his up.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts