Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so some guys have been askin me to do a write up on how I swap wheels without drilling the base out on the new vehicle. I did a swap today to try and document it. If you have any questions let me know. Id be more than happy to fill in any gaps or answer any questions.

So first I start out buly cutting off one wheel on each side with a pair of cutters of the car to receive the swap.

Then clip off one of the ends so you can remove the axle and wheels as you will want to save the axle to possibly use later.

Next you will drill out the axle slot just to widen it enough for the 1/64 OD axle tubing. Use a 1/64 drill bit that matches the tubing OD

TBC

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next you will want to take the axle tube and insert it to get the length and cut to length. The best way Ive learned is to use a razor knife and roll it with medium pressure on a cutting board or surface you don't mind marring. (hint: don't use the kitchen table)

Drill out your donor vehicle and get the wheels you want to use and cut the axel as close to in half as you can so you can reuse the axels if long enough.

Now you have all your parts ready to go.
I use gorilla super glue

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you will want to put some glue on the axle tube and insert them into the holes you bored out

They should be flush with the base

Now use the axle halves to test fit the wheels and figure out what look you want. BW or stripes.

You want to make sure the axles for properly and go in all the way.

Now you will want to use a axle to put some of the glue inside the tube. Put a drop on the end and slide only in and out to get some glue in there. Make sure there is none on the end where the wheel hub would touch the axle tube or te wheel might get glued to it. It might take a little practice to get the best method that works for you to get it glue in but you will figure it out.

Now insert the half axle rods in and make sure they aren't too tight to keep it from freely rolling.

Rinse and repeat.

There you go.

Now you have a drill free custom

It may not be the best way but it is the best I have learned so far and works well and quickly for me. Some of you were asking him I did it so there ya go.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
That looks like a great way to do wheel swaps. What size is the tubing you use? I know it says 1/64 but if I were to look for it by diameter size, what would I look for?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake. It is actually 1/16 diameter tubing. You can use either the aluminum brass or copper. I started with the copper since they were out of Al but I got some scrap in a trade and that seems to cut the easiest.

·
Registered
622 Posts
First off...

This thread should be a STICKY!!!

I just got my 1/16" metal aluminum tubing..fiddled with the car like you said and BAM!!!

My only improvement I need to do is to watch how much glue I use...I think I used too much and few wheels are hard to spin...by the 3rd one, it was perfect!!

Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts