Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is in all it's glory. The Orion from 2001. It's a 3D printed model of the Orion from 2001. It's just under 2 inches. It was mastered by my friend George. O.K. it may not take that long to finish this! Picked it up from Modelnutz at Wonderfest last week. Actually, I told Ed I wanted one but when we left Sunday he wasn't in our room so I took one and left him $5 bucks in his bag with a note. Love ya Ed!

Hard to see in the pics, but the detail on this little piece is amazing!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,296 Posts
Ya know, the surface it's sitting on reminds me of the mesh that the Andromeda Strain was captured in.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You've got to be kidding!! I don't think I could even see that without a magnifying glass. That's too small for me to see, let alone build. I'm still curious to see this finished.

~ Chris​

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Oh, pshaw. Put an interior and lights in that, THEN I'll be impressed. :)

OK, come on, kidding! That looks really sweet. One may assume there may be a matching scale Station in the mind for later?

And seconded that the mat it's on looks like the interior of the Scoop from Andromeda Strain! Just needs a big 4-bit 'magnification number' in the corner. :)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Why would somebody ever build something that small?
Not so sure 'build' applies. Paint, decal and finish, yes. :)

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the look of that little tiny thing.

Good grief, how DO you paint something like that? I would think the wisps of paint clinging to a single hair brush would dry out before you could even start to transfer it!

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
...Good grief, how DO you paint something like that? ...
The same way you make an extra dry martini - just wave a closed bottle of vermouth over a glass of vodka. (Or in this case, wave the bottle of paint over the model.)

I have GOT to talk to Ed about getting a couple of these to fuel my 2001 obsession. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmmm... A Station in scale with that Orion.....Hmmmmm

Why, that would work out to something like 15 inches in Dia.
Perhaps cast/engineered for easy lighting....maybe with photo-etched ring parts.....what a great idea !

Do you think it would sell ????

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Hmmmm... A Station in scale with that Orion.....Hmmmmm

Why, that would work out to something like 15 inches in Dia.
Perhaps cast/engineered for easy lighting....maybe with photo-etched ring parts.....what a great idea !

Do you think it would sell ????

:rolleyes:
Nawwwww, nobody remembers that movie anymore, and who would build a model of a SPACE STATION for goodness sake? What a BORING subject! Just sittin' there. Dullsville, baby. :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts