Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my TV & movie die-cast car collection outgrew my 70-car mirrored display case, I began to look for a larger one. I was discouraged by the outrageous costs. In another thread, Hobby Talk members discussed the best sources for display cases. It was the kick in the pants I needed to begin a project I've been putting off. I went to Home Depot and picked up $40 worth of the supplies I needed. Here is the end result:

It's not PERFECT, but I love it. I think the cars display very nicely against the "stone" background, as opposed to the mirrored background I had previously. I'm thinking of building more, with different backgrounds. Let me know if you'd be interested in one.

Oh, and don't worry about that gap at the bottom, I have some things coming that'll fill that up quickly. How many of those cars do you recognize? They're all TV and movie cars.

- Joe J.
www.hollywood-diecast.com

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Looks great! Gotta love the Monkee Mobile. It is of course the GTO. A job well done!

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
It did turn out Great, Nice work! :thumbsup: you have me thinking and wanting to try my hand at it now. :lol: When you mentioned doing this before, I actually went down to Home Depot and took a look, the sheets of Plexiglass are there and in any thickness a person wants but I couldn't get them to cut or size the pieces for me. I'm just not sure about all that scoring and breaking/splitting of the small thin pieces. It takes time i know- Lol, I've tryed before cutting plastic with a jigsaw and even small saw but my luck with the plastic hasn't been good. It seems the thing either melts back together after you cut it or it just gunks ups the blade. It looks so good Jage1966 that man, I might try it again. There's a 3 day weekend coming up? hmmm...
Nice work!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
41-willys said:
Hey Joe
Very nice display.
What show or movie was the Barris Speed Coupe in?
Thanks everyone. The Barris Speed Coupe was used in The Many Loves of Dobie Gilllis.

I used 30" x 36" acrylic sheets from Home Depot. My father-in-law helped me cut them down using his table saw. (I live in an apartment.) They cut pretty nicely once we got going. One sheet I cut down to 24" x 36" and the rest I cut into 2" strips. Yeah, it looked like we stepped out of a snowstorm when we were done, but I was happy with the results.

- JJ

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looking at the current display, here's the breakdown:

Johnny Lightning: 32 cars
ERTL/RC2: 27
HW: 9 (including Speed Racer's Mach 5, K.I.T.T. and the BTTF Delorean)
Corgi Jr./Husky: 6
MB: 5 (if you count Fonzie & Gilligan on top, 7)
Revell: 3 (American Graffiti)
Hasbro: 3 (Star Wars Landspeeder and 2 Batmobiles)
Zylmex/Zee: 2 (SuperVan & M*A*S*H*)
Golden Wheels Die-Cast Co.: 2
Tomica: 1 (Lamborghini Countach unofficially from Cannonball Run)
LJN/Road Stars: 1 (S.W.A.T.)
Road Champs: 1 (B.J. & The Bear)
Tomy: 1 (Aliens APC)
Imperial Toys: 1 (CHiPs)

These cars represent TV shows and movies I grew up with and enjoy today. I'm curious as to what cars you would absolutely MUST HAVE in your display that's not in my display.

- JJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts