Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never posted any negative comments about a company before here or anywhere else. But then I never have had this kind of terrible service with a company before.

On March 7 I placed an order with them because they have a decent site and they are near Toledo, Oh which will mean less postal time. There site states orders will be shipped within 24 - 48 hours.

By the time March 12 mail came I have not even received an email stating the item shipped. So I thought maybe some items may be on back order. I sent them an email and left a message on there phone.

No response

Next day another message left, no response. Same with march 14

On March 15 I sent them a last email telling them since they will not respond to me, Just cancel the order.

the only response from them was on march 15 after I canceled the order.

Good Morning,
Your order has been shipped, it was being held for the J B Brushes, we have been out of them for a couple weeks and they were due in, but never showed up, so order now processed with out the brushes, if you wish to stay on the backorder list for the brushes do nothing, if you wish to cancel them just respond to this email for cancellation.

Thanks for your orders and have a great weekend!!!!!!!

ncphobbies.com

check our clearance section often
I immediately responded

I am sorry I just placed the order with another vendor. I no longer need this order. In my last email I stated I wanted the whole order canceled. I did the same with the voice mail.
I have tried to get a hold of you for 4 days. All I wanted was a status on the order. But you would never reply. Do not charge my card. If this has not gone to the post office please do not ship. If it has then I will return it unopened.
If there would have been the smallest amount of communication this would not have been a problem.
I did receive the package but it was post marked on March 16 the day after they said it shipped. I sent it back to them that day unopened and opened a investigation with my credit card company.

Well to day in the mail I received an envelope from them with a partial refund minus the 22% restocking fee.

I may have just let this go if it was not for the note at the bottom.

We really don't have time to play ( practice an order ) We can't keep up as it is. So go practice ordering from some where else. No further orders will be processed for you.
Not only are they a poor company to deal with and a bunch of jack asses but apparently they are witty Seinfeld fans. --- Slot car Nazis

point of my post was to share my experiences so others won't have to deal with them. It could all have been avoided with a simple email saying Items are on back order.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to agree with this one, they weren't rude to me, but the communication was non-existent and they don't seem to have what they post on their site in stock much. Needless to say they don't get my business.

If you need recommendations for places to order, I would go with Lucky Bobs, Jag Hobbies, Slot Pro Speedway, and Bat-Jet as really good starting points.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should of added that the other vendor I ordered from was Lucky Bobs and it arrived the same day as the other package. I will order from them again.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
breaume said:
I should of added that the other vendor I ordered from was Lucky Bobs and it arrived the same day as the other package. I will order from them again.
Lucky Bob's is literally about a three or four minute drive from where I work, and about 10 minutes from home -- Bob is great to deal with and carries a nice selection of replacement parts.

I am very lucky to live in Milwaukee as this is truly a slot car town. The weather still sucks a$$ most of the year, but hey, it's always nice in the basement.

'doba

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another great guy to deal with is Joe @ N.J. Nostalgia hobbies (908-322-2676). Ordered from him last fri. 03/16/07 and pkg. came in on wed. 03/21/07 only because I called him around dinner time and it was to late for it to go out that same day. Super nice and very helpful.
Andy :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
You know, I have been spoiled by my fleabay experiences and with limited trades on this forum. Maybe one in a hundred have I wondered where my package was, and most times times they have been shipped within 48 hours of payment, with notice the majority of the time. The last 2 were in my hands less than 72 hours after payment.

With commercial sellers? have only ordered from RRR a few times, they told me they'd ship in 3-4 days and they did. MEV answers emails, ships quickly. However, I ordered from model motoring a couple of weeks before the train show I displayed at. I wanted box art posters so I wouldn't have to haul my old boxes, and something to show the people who asked who made replacement parts, new chassis, locks and joiners, replacement track....and new t jet cars that suit what most layout guys are interested in. A one stop solution, as if it's not in the Walthers catalog to the train guys then it must not exist. I can't tell you how many guys came up to me and said "Hey, Walthers is making ho slot cars" like there haven't been any available since the 70's until now.
Did the online order, as the 800 number got a generic microsoft answering machine "no one is available to take your call." Yeah, I'm going to leave a credit card number on that.... I assume something was backordered, as I haven't heard or received anything a week after the show. And I now I got people asking me to sell them locks and joiners and tires, etc., and thinking all t jets are antiques and not to be fooled with unless you want that hassle. And they don't want Nascar or oversized-for-ho snap on. Well, I tried.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I'm not laughin' at you Brian, but for you. Good riddance to bad apples!

As is the usual with rotten eggs and Richard Craniums, they seem to be able to find the time to be curt, nasty and condescending. Yet they are unable to elicit the slightest common and decent courtisies when regarding a simple business transaction.

It actually sounds like they do need some practice orders cuz they dont seem to have it figured out yet.

Sendem' a few pizzas, and put a neg in with their local BBB. You'll feel better!

Bill

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
It strikes me kind of funny in the sense that if, as stated in their reply " we don't have time to play ( practice an order ) We can't keep up as it is.", this is the kind of problem any business would like to have. Stop being greedy and hire some employees to provide good customer service and support. If you don't, the problem of not being able to keep up will surely go away. :freak: rr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not laughin' at you Brian, but for you.
Don't worry I am laughing too. I'm a little vengeful at times.

There is a saying in customer service something like this. ‘A customer with a good experience will tell one person, a customer with a bad experience will tell 10 people.’ That was before the internet. Between this board and another I posted on in 6 hours over 170 people have viewed these posts. That is 170 people that will think twice about ordering from them. I guess they don’t understand that or care.

I ran a web store for nearly 10 years. If we were out of stock we would contact the customer immediately and give them choices. They may have not been happy but at least we communicated. What a lot of people don’t know is that credit card companies are very consumer conscious when it comes to internet orders. We had a customer use one of our products for nearly 2 weeks and send it back in a state that was not resalable. There were no defects or malfunctions to the product she just did not want it anymore. Our policy clearly stated full refund of defective products only and must contact us first.

She initiated a credit card charge back. I could not fight it the credit card company was heavily weighted to the customer. I had to eat the cost of the shipping, product and the Credit card Company charged me a $25 fee to process the charge back. We bent over backwards to make the customer happy to avoid this.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
aelancaster said:
Another great guy to deal with is Joe @ N.J. Nostalgia hobbies (908-322-2676). Ordered from him last fri. 03/16/07 and pkg. came in on wed. 03/21/07 only because I called him around dinner time and it was to late for it to go out that same day. Super nice and very helpful.
Andy :thumbsup:
Thats because you were on the phone with him, if you ever shopped his store he will literally walk away from you with a finger to your face if the phone rings, then will try to answer your questions while on the phone and it makes you feel like your holding him up. I may just be sour because when I was fresh into slot cars he traded me and basically robbed me totally blind. I wasn't someone off the street trading cars in for a buck, he knew I loved cars and traded me common cars for some very nice, rare cars. I lost my brown nomad for a #3 dino ferrari, a blue/silver nomad for a green porshe, and seven others.........live and learn. :(

When release 5 johnny lightning tjets came out I just happened to walk into the store while the ups guy was still there. opened one case and saw the white thunder nova and asked "how much", he said "you know the going price, fifty bucks"...........back then whites went for 25-35 dollars, not like the craziness now. I said no thanks and hours later same day, nother dealer, sold me all 3 whites for 60.00............AHHHHH JUSTICE, well, kinda for me.

·
Registered
749 Posts
sethndaddy said:
Thats because you were on the phone with him, if you ever shopped his store he will literally walk away from you with a finger to your face if the phone rings, then will try to answer your questions while on the phone and it makes you feel like your holding him up. I may just be sour because when I was fresh into slot cars he traded me and basically robbed me totally blind. I wasn't someone off the street trading cars in for a buck, he knew I loved cars and traded me common cars for some very nice, rare cars. I lost my brown nomad for a #3 dino ferrari, a blue/silver nomad for a green porshe, and seven others.........live and learn. :(

When release 5 johnny lightning tjets came out I just happened to walk into the store while the ups guy was still there. opened one case and saw the white thunder nova and asked "how much", he said "you know the going price, fifty bucks"...........back then whites went for 25-35 dollars, not like the craziness now. I said no thanks and hours later same day, nother dealer, sold me all 3 whites for 60.00............AHHHHH JUSTICE, well, kinda for me.

Ahh, someone else who got stung by this guy.
I went to a show with a guy probably 15 years ago and he told a very similar story. Only he got burned worse.
He traded a #40 Dark Blue Patrick Indy for 3 common Tyco
cars in the blister.

He, like you, had just come in to look around and get some parts. He had some of his cars in his tackle box, not to trade mind you. Just brought them to get parts on them.

Anyway, to this day, I will not buy from him. Spent a lot of money at shows over the years, but not one dollar to him.
Ripping people off like that is bad kharma.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I've spent thousands of dollars with NCP over the years, they used to be my main supplier for parts, and I know they can be slow to ship. I've also had problems having orders held up waiting for out of stock parts. After a while, I would ask them to email me if anything I ordered was out of stock, please just let me know... but they never did. They would just ship the order without the out of stock stuff... which was fine by me.

I've waited up to 3 weeks to get things from them, but every once in awhile they would throw me a freebee to make up for the past problems. Once they gave me one of their 70 dollar Wizzards, which was a very nice thing to do. On more than one occasion they've given me a MINT Tyco car. Usually, it takes 10-14 days to get your stuff, which according to your timeline, seems to be what was happeneing in your case.

You cancelled the order after 8 days and they replied saying they shipped it?
Sorry, but I don't see the problem there.

Overall, I would have to say I'm happy with them. They never send out emails telling you the item was shipped, but then again, most vendors don't. They also give you free shipping on orders over 75 bucks, most vendors don't do that either. I just ordered about 150 bucks worth of stuff from RRR and there was no free shipping.
I ordered another 115 bucks of stuff from JAG, and there was no free shipping there either. That's probably the reaosn for their response, they have to eat the shipping charges, twice... if they already shipped it out.

Let's be honest here, is 5 - 8 days really enough time to expect to have an order packed, shipped and delivered? After all, they are just a mom and pop hobby shop and even major hobby shops require more time than 5-8 days.

No offense, but I think you should have waited another few days before getting so angry with them... but that's just my worthless opinon.

I've waited MUCH longer than a week to get stuff from places like Neil's Wheels. Several times, I had to wait more than a month to get parts I bought on eBay with "buy it now" and then paid on the spot with paypal. TWO months in one instance.

So, again... a week to two weeks seems reasonable to me.
What they should do is list "please give us two weeks for delivery" on their checkout page, this way no one could get pissed off.

As for the trading thing, that's common everywhere. We've all made bad trades in the past, we've also made some good trades too. Are you guys implying that every trade you ever made was fair and even to all parties involved?

I wish I could say that.

I've GREATLY overpaid for some cars on ebay, but I didn't blame the seller.
No one forces you into a bad deal, you make them willingly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VJ

Please read the post again they shipped the order the day after I canceled it with them.

Until last year I was a mom and pop ecommerce site for nearly ten years. If you expect people to give you there money and you are faceless you better communicate with them.

I would have waited for the back order or asked to just leave of the one item. If they would have sent me one email. I don’t know these people and I have never ordered from them before. I could not get a status of the order. What would be my recourse if there were items damaged or missing in shipment? They ignored me when there was not a problem, how would I get a hold of them if there was. that was my reason for canceling.

I would probably just chalked it up to them being asses and never ordered from them again even with the 22% restock fee. But the Bull Shit comments on the receipt were total uncalled for. That was when I decided to post my experiences.

I am glad you had a good experience with them, but for me if they were the last person selling HO parts I would find a new hobby.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We at Rose City Motorplex used to order from NCP too,

to the tune of at least $1000 per season. No requests for what was and what was not in stock were ever answered and orders were always late and short. When we called we were spoken to rudely and that resulted in our ordering strictly from Scale Auto and Lucky Bob's. Their loss turned into our gain. We will never order anything from them again. Rick

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
A week to 10 days is reasonable, 2 weeks is not....

For what it's worth, I just put in an order with Lucky Bob on Tuesday for slightly over $60, free shipping. I got an email yesterday from him saying it had shipped. If I put in an order with Jim at Slot Pro Speedway or with Jag Hobbies they ALWAYS tell me if they have it in stock.

Bat-Jet has a shopping cart setup and they always list what they have in and out of stock.

Two weeks is about my limit on waiting for an order, if it takes longer and there is no clear reason why and no communication, they don't get my money again.

NCP must be doing well enough that they can tell customers to p!ss off, good for them I guess....

The other guys I mention sell pretty much the same type of stuff, and communicate, which means they get my business.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I, like 'Doba live near Lucky Bob's, My travel time is more like 35 minutes though. Bob is a great guy to deal with and has lots of good deals on stuf. He calls me when he knows there is something new to come in that I'd be interested in. Great customer service, That is what we all should get for our money!
That is also why I asked in another thread about a on-line dealer in another thread and it is good to hear from others good and bad expieriances to help spend money wisely!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same bad experience with NCP

I had a similar bad experience with NCP Hobbies. I ordered a 100 pair lot of pickup shoes. After weeks, I finally received the order. However, they were the wrong pickup shoes!
I sent them back to NCP Hobbies. Not only did I have to pay shipping charges to return the items, they charged me the 22% re-stocking fee. Then, they re-sent the wrong pickup shoes again, re-charged my credit card (I now have paid for the wrong item twice!), and wouldn't refund the previous shipping charges.
It took a complaint with the credit card company to get one of the charges taken off.
Of course, I also have 100 pair of Tyco pickup shoes which I do not need.

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
I had same problem here. I ordered from them at least 3 times and all messed up big time plus restocking fees, shipping etc. I stopped buying from them since 2003.. I would warned people not to shop there. I hope they go out of business asap cuz they ripped off so many people.

Wes

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.