Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides from my main-collection of pre-SF Matchbox, I collect Morestone/Budgie small scale.
Generally speaking those models never reached the high standards of the early Matchbox, but there are a few exeptions; The # 8 VW is in my oppinion better than the Matchbox version, mainly due to the bumpers that are cast with the baseplate wich makes all the difference, a very delicate casting :thumbsup:
In the other end of the spectrum is the # 10 GPO Repair Van this is truely a hiddious model :freak:
Anyway; All the models have the charm that I connect with the 50s toycars In my oppinion; These are all awsome in their own right :woohoo:
Judge for yourselves and enjoy!

Karl-E. Denmark

#3 "AA" Land Rover and #4 "AA" Bedford Van

#5 Wolseley Six-Eighty Police Car and #7 Mercedes Benz Racing Car

#6 Cooper-Bristol Racing Car and #8 Volkswagen 1200

#9 Maudslay Horsebox and Karrier GPO Telephone Repair Van

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96gsfan said:
Too cool. I did not realize Esso even had anything like those. Thanks for sharing.
Actually Esso had nothing to do with the series (other than providing the name)
The boxes was made to look like an Esso petrol pump (see 1st pic.) the funny thing was that the pumps was way oversized for the actual cars :freak:

As a way to increase sales, a note was in the boxes advertising for an "Esso Display Garage" you got the garage, if ten box-bottoms was collected and send to Morris & Stone (Morestone) (see 2nd pic.)

Karl-E. Denmark

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have never seen that Bedford AA van before -it looks very similar to the Lesney Evening news van casting, I wonder how they compare side by side?

The Morestone VW may lack an opening engine compartment but it captures the shape of a real 1950s Bug more successfully than the Lesney IMHO. Interesting to see that both Lesney and Morestone chose light metallic blue for their Bugs - co-incidence or competition???

·
Registered
1 Posts
BUDGIE no. 5 Police Car

Hello All,
Has anybody ever seen a Budgie #5 Police Car without the six-eighty marking on the bottom? The only markings on my "green" police car are BUDGIE MODELS POLICE CAR made in England. No 5
I'll try to attach a picture of the bottom.
Thanks All!
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoa! This is an ancient thread you guys have found :p almost two years since I posted it! :tongue:

Nice Dinky Paul!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice Budgies!

As near as I can tell, both bikes are the same, different sidecars for different automotive roadside assistance clubs available back then. First one I found was the #2 RAC with the blue sidecar, shown next to an Ertl Am Mus 1/64 Chevy Camaro for scale, it looks mighty close to 1/64 to me. Did a little research, I think the bike is a BSA from around 1954-55, not particularly big displacement...if I recall something like 200cc.

The yellow sidecar appears to be the same bike done for AA, listed as #1.

I forget which comes next, the Landy or the delivery, but the Landy has been tough for me to find without mangled paint. I think I have a better one now but no pics at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Like the other Morestone/Budgie thread this one rates a lot of drool on the keyboard. I have always like the Budgie models - they are a nice compliment to the Matchbox regular wheels models. Still remember being able to buy some of the Budgie models in their little blister cards on the toy rack at a supermarket in Spokane, WA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts