Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had not built a model kit in over 40 years. But when the Moebius Jupiter 2 kit came out, my fondness of Lost in Space as a kid compelled me to again try my hand at model building. This build took a while, with all of the lighting and custom mods, but I think it turned out rather nice.

I did not like the stock kit with the cut off ceiling beams, so I scratch built ceiling beams and a ceiling. I'm not sure how one would install lights in the top dome and hide the wires without doing this.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING !!!! are those decals on the flight controls /radar screens or did you paint all of the details ? Also next to the hatch, did you paint each square or is that a decal ? ( the part with all the little glass squares, can't think what the part is called ) you did a superb job !
Bert

·
High Priest of the NCC-1701-E
5,098 Posts
This is exceptionally fine work. 40 years eh? Imagine what you'll be able to do once all the rust is off! Congratulations!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank-you Bert. The yellow square thingy, (I think it's called the computer wall) was done by painting the clear part with clear yellow and clear red paint. I then applied a decal of the little tick marks over that. For the radars and controls, I used the stock clear pieces, left the radar circles open and applied decals to the backside and backlit them with leds. some of the knobs and buttons are decals, but most are just dabs of red, green, blue, and silver paint applied with a very fine brush...excruciatingly tedious to do.

Trekkriffic - Well, I hadn't built a model kit in 40 years, but I have done lots of other things that require similar skills...and I am a bit of a detail freak.

I would like to thank the Moebius company for producing such a fantastic model kit. I have wanted a model of the Jupiter 2 since I was 7 years old in 1965 and was mesmerized by Lost in Space. Back then no such models existed, at least not in my part of the country. Then one day about 2 years ago, just on a lark I googled "Jupiter 2 model kits" and up popped this Moebius kit. I bought it and saw that it had the potential to be something really special. I decided I would go all out on the detailing and lighting. It would be the closest thing I would ever have to a real Jupiter 2, or seeing the J2 set in person. My goal was to be able to look through the viewport and actually step into that other world of fantasy that I remember from my childhood. Since completion I have had a blast taking pictures of it, inside and out. I even made a video and posted it on Youtube:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
OUTSTANDING ! On the "computer wall, what brand of clear yellow/red did you use & how many coats did you need to get the "just right" look you did ? Did you paint the front, or back of the clear part or both sides ? You have the perfect depth of the clear yellow color. Your 2 tone fllor circle looks Great as well, what did you use to mask the center circle in order to get the circle as sharp as you did ? lastly, where did you get the fusion core lights, TSDS ?
thanks,
Bert:thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On the computer wall I used "turn signal amber" Testors Acryl #4624, the same stuff they list on the instruction sheet. But after re-watching a few episodes, I noticed that a couple of rows look darker, like they are burned out. So I used clear red #4630 on them. I think it took 2 or 3 coats, but I don't remember exactly. I just kept painting until it looked good to me, and I did the painting and applied the decals to the front side

I pretty much used the suggested colors on everything, except in a few cases. I did not like the green they suggested for the control panel, RAF interior green...it was too green. I experimented with several greens before I got one I liked. I ended up using one that I mixed up myself...a little more of this, then a little more of that until it was just right.

The flooR...OH THE PAIN!!! That floor was a BEAR. Maybe you noticed that I modified the floor to extend to the full circumference of the ship...that was an ordeal in itself. But I did not want all of the wiring in the "basement" to be exposed when I took the top off. Also, I imagined that the floor on the "real" ship was like that. I made some additional partions for the "behind the scenes" areas and put leftover decals on them. I even thought about making other "stuff" like tanks and gadetry to put in these spaces, but it would have been overkill. I rarely take the top off and only see these areas when I look at pictures.

The decal kit I bought came with a center circle, but I did not like the color, and also thought it was too small. After the floor modifications and sanding, the scribed line and tool marks that were on the part when it came disappeared, which was a good thing. So....I used a compass to scribe a line and just masked it off with tape. I used Krylon glossy spray paint I bought at Walmart for both the light and dark colors and topped it with clear glossy sealer. But it took many coats to get it right. For some reason the paint would bubble just in certain areas, I would fix it, repaint, then another area would bubble. This drove me nuts. I finally got a good result, but I bet there is an inch of paint on that floor! I wanted the floor shiny and glossy, like she just rolled out of the showroom!

I bought the "fusion Core" lights from Monsters in Motion. Don't know who manufactured them. But I don't like the fact that there are only two speeds, fast and slow. I would have preferred one with variable speed. There is a toggle switch to change speeds that I mounted in the rear landing gear well...but I rarely change the speed anyway.

I also made another major modification in the area of the control panel. Did you spot it?

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
For a kit builder who took a 40 year break, you did an awesome job! For you, it was clearly a "labor of love", considering that you've obviously wanted for this very kit since 1965!
:thumbsup:CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB VERY WELL DONE!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For a kit builder who took a 40 year break, you did an awesome job! For you, it was clearly a "labor of love", considering that you've obviously wanted for this very kit since 1965!
:thumbsup:CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB VERY WELL DONE!:thumbsup:
Thanks Seaview. It was a labor of love, and I didn't think I would want to tackle another build this complex any time soon, but I just ordered the 1/350 Enterprise, so here we go again I suppose. Funny how building one model leads to another and another and....

Sometimes things are worth waiting for. If I had been given this model kit back when I was seven, first I would have probably pee'd my pants. Then most likely made a mess out of it putting it together. I would have played with it like all seven-year-olds do and in a little while it would have been destroyed and lost forever. (I know because I had models back then and that is exactly what happened to them.) Even if this kit had come out only 10 years ago or so, cheap leds were not available to use for the lighting. Now, some 47 years later this model is something I could not even imagine owning just a few years ago. I only wish there was some way to go back in time and show it to my seven-year-old self...but I wouldn't let him touch it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Cap'n Solo. I've seen your work as well, and you are certainly no slouch. I was a little intimidated by posting my work here, knowing there are guys here who do this professionally for clients. It means alot to get such nice compliments from you guys. I couldn't build stuff for clients, too much pressure, deadlines, etc. For me it would take the fun out of it. I only do it to please myself, relax, and unwind a little.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I am still looking for your control panel modification & I know i am probably looking at the wrong spot or i may be looking too hard and missing it. i see the computer panels on the inside wall of the hatch area, am i getting close ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am still looking for your control panel modification & I know i am probably looking at the wrong spot or i may be looking too hard and missing it. i see the computer panels on the inside wall of the hatch area, am i getting close ?
Wow, I can't believe you didn't notice it. It was alot of work to do, but once completed it's not supposed to be obvious. Which is as it should be. I'll let you dangle a little longer, but here's another clue. No, it's not in the area of the hatch. It is not on the control panel itself but AROUND the control panel. I understand why Moebius made the kit the way they did, but my version is closer to the actual set configuration and allows more of the interior to be seen through the viewport (that should be a giveaway;))

1 - 20 of 101 Posts