Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided I wanted the Backgrond of My Moebius Bride of Frankenstein kit to be more in line with the Movie. Here is what I have completed on the journey so Far.(see below photos) First, of course I need more detailed information of what the heck all of the Items behind the Bride and Frank really were. so I took a lot of screen grabs from the movie, and must have watched the end of the movie about a hundred times. I thought at first, the two largest glass objects behind them were some kind of Giant Vacume Tubes, but upon closer examination I realized they were very Large Bottles. After doing some research on the internet, I found out that the name for these large bottles, are known as demijohns or Carboys. I was unable with an image search to find these exact ones with round bottoms, but did locate a couple of very small bottles made this way, but not any demijohnns of Carboys of this size. So I guess they must have been made for the movie? The bottles sit upsidedown in what I think in lab terms is called a drying rack, it has of course holes cut in top so the stems can protrude downward so the bottles can drain and dry. The other two large bottles, with round bodies and long stems to me look just like some really large regular glass labware, (I could not locate any Images of these Either.) So far I have built the drying Rack and and have sculpted out of aves epoxy sculpt the medium sized bottle and the large one, and the large round labware bottle with the long stems (With the Help of a small round lab becker that came with an action figure). These then will be cast in Clear resin. Forgive the bad Photography as all I have is my Iphone right now to take photos and also my rambling as I'am not the best at explaining my self in the written word, so if you have any questions about the constuction of any of the Items just ask. I Have been a member of this board since the Polar Lights Days and mostly a lurker, but thanks to Frank and this Kit I'am Now getting back into Modeling, and hope to be more active here. Any suggestions or Ideas are appreciated. Thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I'll be lurking for your build! Whahahah!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great job so far. Can't wait to see how this progresses. I don't have a problem with the photography. Thanks for the lesson about the beakers and bottles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished up extending the Wall today, Had to do this to make it match the length of the Drying Table. I used Balsa foam for the extention and attached it with ave epoxy sculpt. After that had set up overnight went back and sculpted the stones on the extention. I should have made the extention end look more like the other end, but sometimes I get in a hurrry and after Im finished with something then it dawns on me. But Im going to leave it as is for now, and if it bugs me later there is always my handy dremmel tool lol.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Very nice job on that wall extension. Once it's painted you won't be able to tell it was extended it matches so perfectly. I believe there is an aftermarket add from Moebius on that includes a larger wall and something else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the nice comments. I was aware of the Moebius base and wall it's very nice. Im going to make my own stone base as it will have to be a lot wider to fit my alterations to the kit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well here's an update. Step One build a box embed Clay around Bottle add air vents, this went well.

Step two ,Pour silicone Rubber side one let set. Dig out clay. Spary Mold release, Pour silicone Rubber side two let set, Open mold take out Bottle. Mold Complete. Yeah.

Put Mold together with Rubber Bands and hard plexiglass sheets so mold will not deform. Mix Easy Cast Clear Resin, Pour in Mold. Well this is where it got sort of ugly, When mixing up the easy cast one of the two parts which is the Hardner seemd a bit yellow, But I thought in One Video I had watched she said that this was normal and it would clear up as it set. Well of course that was not the case, seems I ran into some stock that had set on the store shelf way too long. So after about 7 hours I demolded to see what I had.

Looks like not only did I have a Yellow Bottle, but when all of the bubbles came to the top it left me with a short pour, Even though I had filled the mold to the top, and resin overfowed a bit. I will have to check around the internet to see what I did Wrong, because I let it degas for 5 minutes like it said, and poured slow and high to reduce bubbles. They were quit a few very minute bubbles near the top. I do have another box of easy cast and the Hardner is not as yellow as the other. So it I assume is ok color wise. I bought one from Michaels and one from Hobbly Lobbey, looks like the one from michales was the bad one. And of course I threw the recipt away. This is getting quit expensive so my project is now going on a budget it may be weeks before I can get this completed and all of the kinks worked out. And for the Yellow Bottle Its of course unuseable, unless I use it and just say, that oh, Dr. Frankenstein asked for a Specimen from the Monster. Well onward and upward, more later guys.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think you're putting as much work into this as Frankenstein did when building his creatures....

You've created a monster, and it will destroy you!

·
Registered
546 Posts
...so far.

Like many of us in the figure model hobby, I like to customize/add bases/make "corrections" to models. Sometimes I feel it takes so much time doing so. I look at the MANY kits yet to build on my shelves (like many of us have) and get into the mood to just "build out of the box". It's nice to see more "built" kits appear on my display shelves, but the ones I "charish" (and others admire the most) are the ones that I've added my own personal touch to.
Guys (and gals), keep on buildin'! and keep on posting all that hard work that you do...making the kits "your own"!

Phil K

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tim you are right it may destroy me lol. I found out my problem with the short casting is that my air vents are too small. So that is easy to fix. Thanks for the ecouragement Rinooctopus, to all of us modelers it helps.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well here's an update. Step One build a box embed Clay around Bottle add air vents, this went well.

Step two ,Pour silicone Rubber side one let set. Dig out clay. Spary Mold release, Pour silicone Rubber side two let set, Open mold take out Bottle. Mold Complete. Yeah.

Put Mold together with Rubber Bands and hard plexiglass sheets so mold will not deform. Mix Easy Cast Clear Resin, Pour in Mold. Well this is where it got sort of ugly, When mixing up the easy cast one of the two parts which is the Hardner seemd a bit yellow, But I thought in One Video I had watched she said that this was normal and it would clear up as it set. Well of course that was not the case, seems I ran into some stock that had set on the store shelf way too long. So after about 7 hours I demolded to see what I had.

Looks like not only did I have a Yellow Bottle, but when all of the bubbles came to the top it left me with a short pour, Even though I had filled the mold to the top, and resin overfowed a bit. I will have to check around the internet to see what I did Wrong, because I let it degas for 5 minutes like it said, and poured slow and high to reduce bubbles. They were quit a few very minute bubbles near the top. I do have another box of easy cast and the Hardner is not as yellow as the other. So it I assume is ok color wise. I bought one from Michaels and one from Hobbly Lobbey, looks like the one from michales was the bad one. And of course I threw the recipt away. This is getting quit expensive so my project is now going on a budget it may be weeks before I can get this completed and all of the kinks worked out. And for the Yellow Bottle Its of course unuseable, unless I use it and just say, that oh, Dr. Frankenstein asked for a Specimen from the Monster. Well onward and upward, more later guys.
Might a tinted clearcoat (blue, green, something) knock the yellow down enough to make it less pee-like?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunatly no. I finally was able to get a cast that is 98% useable. Im still having bubble problems. This one had a bubble at the very end of the spout, which is ok since it looks like a slight opening to the bottle. Also Had very small bubbles and one large one on the side. But when displayed you will not be able to see it. I think on my next casting im going to try polyester clear resin. From the videos on you tube it seems to come out a bit more water clear with no yellow tinge. Im beginning to think that the easy cast resin is more for small jewlery projects, as small amounts are much more water clear, but the larger casts still have a slight yellow tinge. The photo below looks whiter on camera than it doe's in person. Beside it is the Bad casting that was too yellow so you can see the difference. So when my funds get back up to par. Im going to get some clear polyester resin and try that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys, just a quick update. Just one more round flask to cast and Im finished with the bottles. Clean up left small scatches even with the finest sandpaper, but Future Floor wax to the rescue. I still have to clean up a couple of the bottles and give them a coat of Future. But Im mostly finished and think for a first time effort I have gotten a pretty good result. More later

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Looks great so far!

I'd love to see a screen grab of what you are trying to replicate from the film. The boxart is kind of dark and doesn't show much!

I guess you could watch this...starting from about 00:45 into it...
(SPOILER ALERT) End of Movie sequence...

This looks to be a fun build! Nice work!:thumbsup:

MMM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well there is not just one screen grab I used. You just have to watch, take screen grabs and pause a lot and explore the back table behind frank and the Bride to see whats there. And this is what you will find.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts