Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Elder Statesman
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the classic Seinfeld episode, in which Elaine found out that the "sponges" she used was going to be discontinued, she then went on on a frantic search to find and hoard them. Choosing men if the they were "sponge worthy".

I now feel this way about Testors Model Master paints. Yikes, I went to my LHS last Saturday, and what I found shocked me, empty racks of paint I need to use, the new Revell paints are very few, no laquer at all. What about those of us who build cars and military kits? I hate the fact the Rustolum is involved with this. I was going to start work work this winter on some new figure kits, I guess I will have to pay high prices on the interweb.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Two takeaways:

Apls STILL HAS a local hobby shop(pe)!

And,

Said local hobby shop(pe) has the newly imported into the US Revell paints! Still haven't seen those myself...

Apls, maybe you can start decanting regular spray enamels and lacquers from the hardware store...if you airbrush that is. Or just use those cans...works out fine for many modelers like HPIGuy on Youtube...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Try these guys for enamels:

They are enamel paints almost identical to the Model Masters paints. The selection is improving.

I have a few bottles and so far I like them. I have not tried airbrushing them yet, but I imagine they will be the same as MM.

Nice, high quality hobby paint.

·
Elder Statesman
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have very little on the shelves, Tamiya is still there, but the speciality paints for cars, I want to build my Batmobile kits, are completely gone. The Revell paints are very small in numbers. My LHS is AAA Hobbies in South Jersey, a massive store with a great staff. There are still Model Master at Hobby Lobby.

·
Elder Statesman
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again my trip to my local hobby shoppe more surprises. The store now has their display for the new Revell paints, these will take some getting used to, 1) the price small expensive acrylic paints, and smallish spray paints even more so. Maybe eventually I will get to try some, I do have some of the spray paints. 2) they will have to get better , if I was a car/ truck or military modeler, I would be very upset. I will work with what I can.

·
Elder Statesman
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first spray I bought was 5.99, these paints now go for 8.99. I don't buy kits that often because I am building ones I bought years ago, and restoring older kits, much fun. I don't feel bad not buying them for my LHS, since I spend more money through out the year on supplies. Walmart is a great economical place to by primer and other paints to get around these prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts