Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well besides working hard on my Moebius Bride I've also been spending a goodly portion of my time on my latest contract job for my customer in Oregon. This time it was a real Aurora Odd Job and here are some pictures as received and completed. I'm enjoying doing these and while I didn't care much for building one of these for my shelf (the Polar Lights repop), after seeing this done it might be tempting someday.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Great resto job Bob!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I can tell by the quality of your work you're really enjoying these.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Great work again. That gloss-looking original paint looks like it might have been stubborn - did you strip the paint or just use it as an undercoat?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great work again. That gloss-looking original paint looks like it might have been stubborn - did you strip the paint or just use it as an undercoat?
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. The paint looked like old Testors enamels and I used Easy Off to strip it. It took two or three soakings and scrubbings but I got most of it off. I also had to fix all the seams. All these models I have done for the customer looked like they were put together by a 10 year old. Once I had it stripped and prepared I primed it with Rustoleum gray primer.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Great restore. I've always wondered, when you guys do restorations or straight builds, do you ask for or get customer input on what colors they want for this part or that? Or do they just give you a free hand within bounds of the kit?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great restore. I've always wondered, when you guys do restorations or straight builds, do you ask for or get customer input on what colors they want for this part or that? Or do they just give you a free hand within bounds of the kit?
My client seems to want for me to try to match the original Aurora box art as closely as possible. I also looked at some movie stills for this one and fairly well matched how Odd Job looked in Goldfinger. The pants in the movie had a light pin striping but I was not going to try to duplicate that, at least not for the amount I am usually paid.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Dirt, yours looks great too. You could still put some kind of matte clear coat on the jacket without changing anything else on the model. As I said before, I would never have bought this kit for my shelves but now that I have seen it done I might someday pick one up off eBay for myself. I believe the next model I am getting from him in a week or so is Bond.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts