Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spent about an hour a day for the last week scanning these and joining the two part scans together, trying to make the seams down the middle invisible, and trying to make the pages relatively clear. The attachments below are about as large as I could make them for posting here. As with my upper deck drawings, I'll leave them posted here for a while. If you find them missing someday, it's beacause I needed the space for other attachments somewhere else. PM me with your e mail address and I will send you copies. The seem to average about 60k a page. Or if you'd the larger scale 11 x 17" 150 dpi scans (now or later), I can also send those you as well. Each file is about 10 times larger.

I've moved all my attachments to:
http://s1004.photobucket.com/home/jkirkphotos/allalbums

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The overall plan comes from a Fox blueprint I have of the lower deck. As much as possible, the floor plans are tracings of the Fox blueprint. All dimensions are from various Fox blueprints. If there's a number, it's not made up. Over this I have added all the set decorations. Unlike the upper deck drawings, which I posted here first a year or two ago, I haven't looked at the lower deck since I drew them in the 80s. So this was a real trip down memory lane. Except that I really didn't remember a lot of the details.

In the attachments above, note that the lower deck was plotted in an anti-clockwise direction starting at cabin 1 and ending at cabin 3. Cabin 2 and 3, while identical in the floor plan, have different details inside. Note that the sliding cage on the elevator has a point at the end of its top ring that fits into a cup on the fixed matching ring. I have no idea where the engine room door control is.
The cabin drawings below are pretty self explanatory.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On to the galley. The wall inserts on the galley sides are the same size as the wall inserts on the upper deck. In fact, two of the were from the upper deck of the Gemini 12. The three tall tube units on the counter of the laboratory were called Algae Processing Units on a Fox blueprint of an earlier (and completely different) version of the lower deck, so that's what I labelled them as here.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The escape hatch (as I call it) or the lower deck door and passage to the landing gear on the early Fox blueprint was positioned almost exactly over the landing gear. The blueprint even marked the landing gear position (which proves that Robert Kinoshita and friends were thinking about everything) so I thought I'd mark it on the newer version.
Photos on the Net will give those so inclined much better details of the instrumentation than I had back then.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm still missing a couple of details. I hadn't finished the page with the reclining, foot rest extending acceleration couch, and I think with new material I've found I can add some dimensions to my Robot drawing. So I may try to add those over the next week or two. Or I could just go back to cutting plastic. Or in this case, pouring plaster.

Hope these are useful.
As always, any comments or especially corrections are most welcome.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Starseeker
I've just downloaded every atachment. They are simply great!!
Man, you have no idea how those drawings will be helpfull for me.
Thank you very much.:thumbsup:
Fernando

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As I said, Fernando, and anyone else, if you want the large file versions of these, let me know.
For reasons I'd rather not discuss, but inspired by Fernando, for a project that will probably never get off the ground, I just scanned and fused the original Fox lower deck floor plan at the original 1/24 scale. To illustrate the difference between the Fox original and my drawings (to show off how much more readable my drawings are - well, they're not that much more readable, I guess), I'll see if I can post a somewhat reduced version of the original here. There's the tiny hitch on the ledge in the upper right corner of the cabin where I couldn't quite get everything to line up. If anyone wants the full sized version, again let me know. As a jpg, it's 7 Mb. As a psd it's 22 Mb.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wanted to take a break from everything else and finish up the lower deck drawings this weekend. When I say, "finish" I mean add a couple more sheets, primarily of the Robot's magnetic lock. There have been lots of good photos of the actual instrument panels with rulers and tape measures show up the Net in the last few years so over the winter, as I get started on my 1/24 lower deck model again I'll revisit these drawings and update the panels as needed.
The first few revisions hardly seem worth the time but I'll do this anyway. I back-searched a couple of seconds too long while searching for the magnetic lock in Blast Off Into Space and accidentally spotted the hatch buttons for the engine room and reactor hatches. They are on the outside side wall of Cabin 1. Using the raised detail on the girder, it's easy to place them. So the two attachments below do nothing more than add the hatch buttons.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I started modeling the 1/24 lower deck with the soffits. It seemed as good a place as any to me. That's where my drawings let me down. For whatever reason twenty some years ago when I drew these, I mistakenly assumed that a concentric line on the Fox blues meant that the soffit was narrower where the lights were narrower. Not so, I discovered as I cut and fitted plastic trying to make sense of this in three dimensions. I went back to the blues and my mistake was obvious. So on sheet L03 attached above and on the two attached below, I have corrected that. L03 above also shows how the soffit curves around the glide tube and stays back from the ladder, something that also took me forever to finally figure out in plastic, going back to freeze frames over and over again.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And finally the reason I did all this: finishing up the magnetic lock.
Trek may have been the heir to Forbidden Planet story-wise for its first season (heir to Another World for the rest of its various runs), but even the first time around it always looked to me that, apart from the bridge, the sets and props could have been made out of flat sheets of cardboard taped together.
It was LIS that inherited the amazing sets and props and effects from Forbidden Planet. To my mind, the upper deck, the pilot lasers, the force field projector, and the Chariot are all among the very best of anything ever designed for any SF movie or program. But that magnetic lock...
It was only incompletely shown for a few seconds in a couple of episodes but it is the most incredible bit of set design ever. The Trek people never even came close, not until Andrew Probert and especially the hangar bay in STTMP. The thought and care and craftsmanship that Kinoshita and crew put into these things was (and possibly still is) without precedent. With the possible exception of Forbidden Planet. How much work did they invest in this little throwaway? Amazing.
The Robot: also amazing (but in a different way) is the fact that the Robot still exists. Actually, two of them exist. But what's amazing about that is, no matter where I look, there are still no dimensions for the thing available. There are whole B9 Builders groups and people flogging home made fittings for building your own full scale Robot, but nobody has come to a consensus on the dimensions. The widest shoulder diameter still varies ay an inch and a half or two. True, in 1/24 scale, this doesn't matter a whole lot. But not one, but both original Robots still exist. You'd think somebody would take a tape measure, put it around the Robot in various places, take a picture of where the numbers overlap and that would be the end of the discussion. But, no.
At least the full scale builders have got the shape of the legs (either pair) right, something that hasn't happened in plastic yet.
The physical dimensions of the solid bits Robot are one thing. At least they can't change if they were ever measured. The height of the Robot is something else. The head was designed to extend and retract a couple of inches. And the legs were flexible, at least in the first season, and could expand and contract considerably.
The dimensions on the Fox blues of the Robot from the waist down are considered by the full scale builders to be pretty accurate so I've kept them. All the rest of the dimensions are approximate. Since the lowest soffits in the lower deck were 6' 6" from the floor, it makes sense that the Robot was no more than 6' 6" tall near its tallest, a figure which the addition of all the solid and approximate dimensions supports. That he was approximately 6' 1 1/2" tall typically seems a fair estimate both from adding all the dimensions and from watching the show.
The Robot's diameter is different in my two views of the Robot, to reflect the various estimates of the Robot's different diameters.
I also had a notation on this sheet about the colors and placements of the 12 flashing lights on the Robot's instrument panel. But not only did they change from 1st season to 2nd season to 3d season, I started finding photos of other color combinations within the seasons, so I gave up. You can make those lights any arrangement of blue, orange, yellow, red, green and clear (white) and no one can prove you wrong.
Also a lot of various Robot details, just because I was interested in them. They should be overkill for any 1/24 to 1/6 scale model. Beyond that, check out the full scale builders. But even there, they're missing details that are clear on DVD. Ah, but don't get a rivet counter started...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And one more: it's an overall view looking UP at the lower deck lights and soffits from floor level. I didn't post the similar view in my upper deck thread because the upper deck's lights and girders are so straight-forward. But as I said, the lower deck can be confusing, so I finally finished my (with luck) clear map of it, something that I should have had before I cut plastic.
As always, comments and especially corrections welcome. And if anybody wants the large resolution copies of these, pm me with your e mail address (high speed needed). I think I've had to nuke all my other attachments except for my upper and lower deck drawings to make room for these, but I will leave these up until I'm desperate for space. Given the rate that I'm progressing on anything, these could be here for a while.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hold you thanks till I finally get this right. Sigh. In L34, posted immediately above, I forgot an entire layer of color. I thought something didn't look right. It's reposted correctly (I hope) now. The galley soffits, inside the small dividers that separate the sides of the galley from the rest of the lower deck, are an intermediate 6'10" (because they reused the Gemini 12's upper deck walls in the galley) and the ceilings all around were blueprinted to be 7'6". Not counting the higher center openings above all the bays for the stage lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
starseeker you are doning a great job here please keep it up i`am very impressed with your work. we must see if we can get this laser cut in to a kit . jeff

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's the next to last missing sheet. This is not quite conjecture on my part, but pretty close. This couch is seen in Stowaway and then never again, I don't think. The frame looks awfully familiar, like it was used to hold another piece of equipment in another episode ???
There is a Fox blue for an early version of an acceleration couch that folded up and out, out of the upper deck main control panel. Part of it became the regular fold out chair that we all know from the first season. Possibly the long sliding track and folding mechanism of the early version became the rigid framework that surrounds the couch in Stowaway. Anyway, I deleted the sections that obviously (?) weren't there and tried to map out that framework, matching the holes in the frame where they overlapped the holes in the sides of the chair, and eventually came up with this. It looks like it might be right. ???
Not happy with the scan quality, so it will definitely be on my clean up list when I start editing the lower deck drawings.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks!
One reason for posting these was because it suddenly seemed important to me to get these out there. I've had these sheets closed in a binder for 20 some years now and it seemed a shame for them not to finish up the last details or to just let all those millions (it seemed) of hours of collecting and scouring and measuring and drawing just stay forgotten inside that binder.
Another reason is that I always loved the Jupiter 2 and always thought it deserved the same consideration as Star Trek or 2001 subjects are getting. I mean, look at this very forum's discussions of Refit inaccuracies or Refit painting or the 2001 Moonbus or 2001 Pan Am Clipper. There are great debates going on there, lots of fine information being shared. Maybe it's the nature of Irwin Allen stuff: no respect; nobody takes it seriously. (True, the shows can't be watched. But neither can most of Trek TOS past the first season [Spock's Brain?], or any of its committee scripted reincarnations [TNG? Voyager?].)
I hoped to get similar thread to the Refit Inaccuracies going when the big Moebius Seaview came out but turned out I was the only one interested and instead of a discussion of Seaview details and variations and it became my build thread instead. There wasn't a bit of that model that couldn't use detailing or correcting or that could have been modified to represent other season or miniature variations. But everyone seemed happy with the kit as it was, despite the nose and tail cone and prop tubes and FS bay and...
When the LIS movie tie-in book came out, it had a couple great color pictures from the 1st season that I had never seen before (and I've seen all the pictures ever published or webbed. When the 40th anniversary 2 disk soundtrack album came out, it had great color pictures from the 1st season I hadn't seen before. Where are these people getting all these great color 1st (and 2nd and 3d) season photos? How come we never see them?
What's Chris Tietz done with his Chariot restoration in the last 10 years???
Frustrating.
All this stuff out there, much of it that possibly we'll never see.
But I'm happy to have finally finished these drawings to this point. They're complete enough that anything else I add now (finer detail for the instruments, or color) I'd consider icing on the cake. Except for fixing any mistakes anyone might point out, or adding new info from new blueprints or photos that anyone might post.
Back to cutting plastic now.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts