Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jerseyfest 2012 was AMAZING!

Major kudos go to Dave Tomarchio and his team to put all of this together!

I attended the airbrush class taught by Steve Parke, Rick Cantu, Jim Capone, and Saul Alvarez!

A 55" LCD TV was used to show everyone the close-up steps that were being discussed. Top notch planning was done to not miss a thing!

The morning started out with two demos/lectures by Steve and Rick. The techniques they both used were incredible. Steve worked with a 1:1 bust of Christopher Lee Dracula and Rick worked with a 1:1 wallhanger bust of the Alien creature. Things got started just after 10:00am and by the time they both finished up...it was already after 1:00pm. Time flew by really fast. Lots of note taking and learning.

By 1:30pm, we started the hands-on airbrushing class with Saul Alvarez assisted by Jim Capone. Saul would give us step by step instructions starting out by getting airbrush set-up / air pressure/ paints/ cleaner...etc.
Then he would walk us through the process. There were about 35 attendees doing the same kit at the same time.

Here are a few pics of my Curse of the Werewolf "wallhanger" kit by Black Heart Enterprises http://www.blackheartmodels.com/ in order of steps...

This was what we started with...already primered in black.

Then we began to apply the pale flesh base coat:

Then some depth was added by airbrushing brown into the recesses of the skin, eyes, mouth areas:

Then some red was added to the eyes and gum line in the mouth with pastels, oil washes, and hand painting ...

Then we worked on the eyes...absolutely incredible techniques were learned...

Here is a quick shot of the kit about 90% done (flash washed out the pic. The fleshtones are more like the pic above...lighting was poor in the hotel room) ...shirt not finished, hair still needs some details and blood not applied yet to the mouth...we ran out of time in the class to finish:

All comments and constructive critisizms are welcome!

MMM

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bob again amazing job on the eyes. Great to finally meet you in person. We'll get together soon. I put a thread on too with my pics. My eyes suck compared to yours. Great Job

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Awesome job. As this was your first airbrush job, what were you thinking going into it? Were you one of those people who thought airbrushing was something you just couldn't do?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Great job on that werewolf. So while most of it was airbrushed you did some detail work by hand? The eyes really turned out great, I still don't know how to do eyes right. Coloring and everything is really nice, particularly for a beginner although you did have expert teachers.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks Jim...yours turned out great also!

djnick66 - Going into it...at first thought was...wow this class is expensive...but then I researched and saw just how much this stuff goes for and quickly realized what a GREAT price this was...
Option 3 – Full Package = $390 Per Person, which covers

• A new Badger Sotar 20/20 (Model 2020-2) Airbrush!
  • A new Badger Airbrush TC909 Aspire Elite Compressor !
  • Fee for the full day event, including the seminars and “hands on” class
  • Life-sized, resin Curse of the Werewolf kit – wall hanger bust.
  • Lifetone Paint Set from Garage Kits US.
  • Miscellaneous supplies needed for painting.
  • A 50% off discount coupon for the purchase of any available “Black Heart Enterprises” kit purchased between August 3rd 2012 and August 4th, 2013. This excludes any new Black Heart kits released after March of 2012. Note that the regular prices of their kits vary between $170 to $225.
  • A 50% off discount coupon for the purchase of one order of a Garage Kits Paint Set ($50 maximum discount) from Garage Kits US purchased between August 3rd , 2012 to August 4th, 2013.
Werewolf kit you will receive in class retails for $180

If you were to buy a Black Heart Enterprises Curse of the Werewolf kit, the cost of the kit alone is normally $180 plus shipping. The SRP of the new Badger Sotar 20/20airbrush is over $200 and the SRP for the Badger Airbrush TC909 Aspire Elite Compressor is $270 plus shipping. So, as you can see, the cost for the Jerseyfest painting seminars/class is an incredible bargain

This didn't include what it would cost to have 4 professional painters/instructors talk/teach/show you how it gets done...(priceless).

I was always hesitant about airbrushes as they seemed complicated as far as always keeping them clean, being noisy (this one is real quiet) and then worrying about breathing fumes which turns out is not bad when using acrylics...and saw how very easy it was to achieve these results.

I am so glad I took this class! It was very much worth it as I came away from it with much more knowledge and skills learned!

For those who missed out...I highly recommend doing this next year!

Bob - Besides learning how to use an airbrush, we covered many techniques, some I had never tried ...

-yes we also painted some stuff with a brush
- using oil washes
- drybrushing
- using pastels
- using soft lead pencils
- using gloss to get wet effect
- sealing kits

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I saw one of those Werewolf busts in person yesterday its HUGE... you got an awesome deal.
I guess you were over at the IPMS Nats then DJ. We went over yesterday too but only for about 3 hours in the afternoon. I guess not all the entries were on display yet. That was one big contest room and dealers room as well. We spent a bit of time talking with Cult/Steve and I bought a couple of SciFi/Fantasy Modelers from him. Then I splurged and picked up a couple of Fine Molds Star Wars kits including that big Millenium Falcon. I'm not sure if I'll build it or what yet. The Disney con center was actually quite nice and it wasn't hard finding a parking place which I was afraid might be bad. Anyone staying in the motel would have an easy walk to the con each day.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Yeah I was in the vendors room before it opened to the public and then again from 2 to about 4:30. I didn't look at the entries (apparently there were not many yet). Will go back tomorrow to look for deals. Prices were interesting. HLJ was there selling a Hobby Boss Saurer armored car for $72 !?!?!?! while you can get the same kit from Squadron or $41 and Tower for $38. So it pays to watch out. Oddly HLJ had some very fair prices on some other kits.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The eyes weren't really that hard to paint if you take your time and seal your work as you go.

I'll try to sum it up per the steps we took if I can remember them correctly (sorry if I miss a detail or two):

- Airbrushed Transparent Paynes Gray lightly across bottom edges and corners of the eyes (seal)
- start with white on eyes (acrylic) hand painted. (seal with airbrush sealer)
- brush paint acrylic red veins from edges to end of iris area (seal with airbrush sealer)
- use red pastel on corners of eyes (seal)
- apply a red oil wash to eyes (seal)
- mark with a pencil where iris should go
- paint True Blue acrylic iris by brush
- mix slightly lighter blue by adding white to paint and create a wagonwheel pattern around the iris (seal)
- paint yellow oxide color in a wagonwheel pattern allowing blue to show but alternating area of blue and yellow oxide (seal)
- mix even lighter blue by adding more white and getting a sky blue mix and apply in a wagonwheel pattern around iris trying to let other colors show through as best as you can. (let dry and seal)
- paint the pupil by brush with black acrylic (seal)
- take black pastel chalk and lightly dab the edges of the iris and pupil to feather out the black ever so slightly. (seal)
-apply with brush a gloss coat over the eyes

I think that was about it. You have to remember to seal your work especially if using pastels so your work doesn't get messed up.

Here are a few more pictures with better lighting:

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Thanks for the run down on how you did the eyes. Those new pictures really show this bust off even better and if this was your first major airbrush project you get a 110% grade, fantastic. I wouldn't want one of these full size busts myself but I do like to look at them when they are done so nicely. I'd say the class was well worth it for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wish my first time with an airbrush looked so good. Very well done.

The class originated at wonderfest with kitbuilders university which i have sponsored 2x (creature bust and frankenstein bust)
I have taken the class 3x and can't tell beginners and experienced modelers alike how much fun it is.
To have hands on from great painters takes all the intimadation and doubt away from painting solo with an airbrush.

These classes are great now matter what show you take them at and are a great value for your money.

I highly recommend them.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.
I look forward to your next buildup.:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts