Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of you guys know I am a die-hard 1/10th Scale Nitro Pan guy. What can I say, I really get a kick out of those mosquitoes on speed. :D

I have several fellow racers that have been bugging me to get one of these cars so I can come race with them, but I am a little too deeply involved to make the plunge. Jerry Evans has purchased two Lightning cars of late and offered one to me for this event seeing as there were going to be no Nitro Cars there. So I figured what the heck.

I show up Friday to practice and we work our tails off to get it where I can get the thing around the track and be competitive and on the last run of the evening it was and I was having a BLAST!

Then... I have no idea what happened but the car started swapping ends and I never really got the car back under me the entire day, but that is not what this post is about.

This post is about something much more important.

SPORTSMANSHIP.

I have had the good fortune of being able to race these toy cars all over the country and met tons of people. I must say that the bunch that was at the Boyd Hughes Memorial All Star Race this weekend at Lagoon Park in Montgomery, Alabama ranks right up at the top of my list. And I am picky on who goes there. There was not one person that did anything but wish me to enjoy my race, be fast and have a great time. Just like the racers in Nitro, you guys pitched in and helped me all day. So please bear with me while I point out just a few guys that really deserve to be mentioned.

Jerry Evans. THANK YOU! for without your generosity I would not have had a car to race this weekend. Not only did Jerry lend me a car, the radio to go with it. But he left me tires and tools to work on it with. I just wish I could have figured the problem out with the car and got it into the show.

Wayne Rogers and Mike Clark. My BRP buds! Thank you Mike for the vittles Friday, the burgers were great. Wayne and Mike, thank you both for putting up with my griping and lending me a hand and tools to work on the car.

Ray Johnson. My crew chief for the day. This guy is not only a NCS National Champion, a great racer but a stand up guy. This man went out of his way to make sure that I had a good time. I know for a fact he worked harder on my car than he did on his. Of course, his was on rails so his needed little work. Ray not only helped work on the car and lent springs to me to try to get it better, we did but just ran out of time to get it dialed in, but he was constantly encouraging me and giving me pointers. Ray, I cannot tell you how much it meant to me for you to spend that time on that car. I wish my results would have equalled the work.

Jim D. I dare not try to spell your name. :) Thanks for helping me today as well. I think between Ray and Jim my shocks were turned about 2 and half miles.

To all of the guys in my heats. Thanks for the clean runs, the good racing and most of all the FUN. Next time, YOU will be moving over for ME!

Ask Wayne, Mike or Jerry. I will NOT be out-worked.

The crew at LPR. Thanks for the show and doing the thankless job of running a race.

Hughes family. Lunch today was great! Thank you again for doing that for all of us racers.

You guys better watch out for JR, that kid is a wheel-man I tell you and if you guys let your guard down that kid is going to clean your clocks.

Here in you guys' world of 1/4 Scale R/C racing, you have something good. Leave it alone, if you must make changes make baby steps. All of you guys help out one another, lend out parts, advise and even sometimes a good cussing. :D You guys have, what we in Nitro have , only on a MUCH LARGER SCALE, pun intended.

I guess I have gone on here long enough. In short, I had a great time with some great guys and that is not the last time you will see me in a 1/4 pounder. Who knows, there may be a really big Coyote at the track one day.

Until the next race. :wave:

THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey scott,it was good meeting you.I had alot of fun as well and you are right,those guys are a class act when it comes down to helping out.I almost just put it ll bck in the truck friday after mike made me gain 10lbs from that burger-LOL.My cr was not acting at all good.we had alot of problems with it but,alot of people were helping me and Will came over and found the problems.we put a carb on it and he tuned it and we shared the car sat(it was the 21 car).I cant drive to good yet and learning still.I hope to see ya back out there.kenny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Scott,you are a class act,and I have no doubt that you will do GREAT in QS. I'm convinced that you can drive anything and make it fast.We've had a blast at Lakeland Speedway over the years and you will make it fast. Look forward racing you in both QS and BRP. Wish you could race with us at Lakeland Sat. nite but I think your in Gulf Shores. Have a great time.

Wayne #28

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lookin' at the beach as we speak.

Also lookin' for a car. Might be real soon!

Tim is looking for one too, so you guys will have two of us "tenth scale" guys to tend with.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Scott , This is Steve "J.R.'s" dad , It was nice to meet you and we hope you will travel back to LPR to race with us some this summer. We had a blast and as you said the people in 1/4 scale racing are very helpful as it was J.R.'s first time behind the wheel of 1/4 scales. We couldn't have done it with out the good advice we got from the other drivers including you. Thanks a bunch for taking time to talk to us.:thumbsup: We will see you soon.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve -- It was real nice meeting you two at the race.

You can count on seeing more of me and Tim next year. With the shrinking numbers of Nitro Pan I will have to get my fix somewhere. Seeing as LPR is only 2hours from me, it is not too hard to decide.

As soon as I get the car, I will be making several trips to the track to do some testing. Looks like I will be joining the club for next year as well.

See you at the track!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts