Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, new to the pan car racing!! have been running offroad nitro for a while now, and just got my first pan car, its a hyperdrive pro 2, i also just bought a lrp sphere 07 and a 17.5 for it. pretty excited to run it!!! always watched them and thought they were pretty crazy fast!!! and thats all me!!!! lol. does anybody have any helpful hints on weather i got the right motor and what batteries i need, would like to stick to 2cell lipos if there is a class for that anymore, i hear the rules change everyday and thats the only thing bad about the carpet oval racing. any helpful hint would be great! thanks, mike

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Hey there Mike. the best advice anyone can give you as for classes is, to check with your local track once they start up for the season what the guys wanna run. 2cell 17.5 is a very fast class but guys do still run it places! depending on the track my guess on the biggest pan car classes this year are, 21.5 2cell, 13.5 1cell, and 10.5 1cell. all 3 of these classes are slower then 2cell 17.5. hope that helps a bit. oh and good luck and welcome to PAN CAR!

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bud, did you get your email?? would like to race at snowbirds this year and wondered what would be best for a beginner, looks like the 1 cell deal. thanks

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
yes got it. depending on how comfortable you feel by then but i would say 13.5 1cell. or 17.5 1cell. both will be fun and full classes im sure

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
lol well i must of missed that one :) but actually 17.5 1cell is meant for guys like you. meaning for guys first getting into pan car or guys with less experience. that being said im not sure how many guys at your local track are new to pan car so that limits the class some. hey i emailed yah!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
hey inferno down in bay city and mt. pleasant we run a spec class for guys just getting started and we run 17.5 one cell in that class along with spec tires. our next class up this yr. would be 13.5 one cell with the same tires. go to oval track discussion and check out bay city or mt pleasants forum and they have a set of rules for the different classes.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still need help!!! what do i need for pan car???? i have seen about 5 sites, and they all say somthing differnt, i have a hd pro 2 and bought a lrp 07 and a 17.5 motor!!! what batteries do i need to look for???? please be specific...lol, want to run many classes. what other motors should i look for??? thanks, mike

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Whoa, hold on, there, Skippy...I wouldn't go jumpin' in with both feet just yet. You say you want "run many classes", but let's get ya goin' in the right direction first. Oval pan cars are whole a different aminule from that beast of a offroad nitro car. Pan cars are very specialized and take a lot of chassis work to get fast. If I were you, stick with whatever the "stock" class is at your local track. I've been running these things for 20+ years and still am only marginal (as a driver) at best. (I don't have the time to spend working on my cars all week; I just load up and head to the track.)

Get to know the fast guys at your track. Make friends and get some chassis tuning and motor/battery advice. Much simpler these days with LiPo and brushless. Get to know these guys on HobbyTalk.

My advice. Take it easy and learn first. THEN go fast and turn left :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa, hold on, there, Skippy...I wouldn't go jumpin' in with both feet just yet. You say you want "run many classes", but let's get ya goin' in the right direction first. Oval pan cars are whole a different aminule from that beast of a offroad nitro car. Pan cars are very specialized and take a lot of chassis work to get fast. If I were you, stick with whatever the "stock" class is at your local track. I've been running these things for 20+ years and still am only marginal (as a driver) at best. (I don't have the time to spend working on my cars all week; I just load up and head to the track.)

Get to know the fast guys at your track. Make friends and get some chassis tuning and motor/battery advice. Much simpler these days with LiPo and brushless. Get to know these guys on HobbyTalk.

My advice. Take it easy and learn first. THEN go fast and turn left :thumbsup:
lol..., none of the guys at my our track run pancar, so there is no class here. i am reading and reading and well everybody has there opinion, but they are so differnt i dont know what to go by and what to ignore, i hear the rules change every day in this pancar thing and just want to race!!! thats all i want, dont want to show up somewhere and have them tell me oh....you cant race that, i know alot of people here but not to many pancar racers. what to do... what to do??

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
If you are going to run the BRL or tour, you will most likely need a 1 cell lipo pack. The official approval list should be out in about a month, but if you want to run the 17.5 class on 1 cell at the big races, you will have to use the smc 4000 mah/25C pack. All other classes can use any approved pack.

Now the local track I run, there are only 2 racers running 1 cell. Myself and one other. Biggest class is "stock" which has most guys running 17.5 with a 4 cell Nimh. I have been running that class with a 13.5 and 1 cell. Good close racing, but the 1 Cell has a big advantage over the long run 6 to 10 min, it just doesnt drop off as fast as the 4 cells. The next biggest class is 21.5 2S, then 17.5 2S. I think there will be more running 1 cell in stock after seeing how my car runs. They fast guys are not sold on the 1 cell 7.5 vs the 17.5 2S. They think the 17.5 is a better setup.

John

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are going to run the BRL or tour, you will most likely need a 1 cell lipo pack. The official approval list should be out in about a month, but if you want to run the 17.5 class on 1 cell at the big races, you will have to use the smc 4000 mah/25C pack. All other classes can use any approved pack.

Now the local track I run, there are only 2 racers running 1 cell. Myself and one other. Biggest class is "stock" which has most guys running 17.5 with a 4 cell Nimh. I have been running that class with a 13.5 and 1 cell. Good close racing, but the 1 Cell has a big advantage over the long run 6 to 10 min, it just doesnt drop off as fast as the 4 cells. The next biggest class is 21.5 2S, then 17.5 2S. I think there will be more running 1 cell in stock after seeing how my car runs. They fast guys are not sold on the 1 cell 7.5 vs the 17.5 2S. They think the 17.5 is a better setup.

John
so..... i have a 17.5 and a lrp speedo, i should look for 4 cell nimh packs or a 1c lipo, what mah on both nimh and 1c lipo??

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
if you run 17.5 one cell you will need the smc 4000mah 3.7 25c pack and with the lrp you will either need a rx pack or novak booster to power the servo and RX if you run the BRL rules you need to find out what the track is going to run where you will race.

Check Lefthander for these things

My vote for a 1st chassis would be a Gen1 KSG .

Jake

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if you run 17.5 one cell you will need the smc 4000mah 3.7 25c pack and with the lrp you will either need a rx pack or novak booster to power the servo and RX if you run the BRL rules you need to find out what the track is going to run where you will race.

Check Lefthander for these things

My vote for a 1st chassis would be a Gen1 KSG .

Jake
do you consider a hd pro2 shortie to be good??

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
so..... i have a 17.5 and a lrp speedo, i should look for 4 cell nimh packs or a 1c lipo, what mah on both nimh and 1c lipo??
go for the lipo we don't run any nimhs in michigans northern area carpet tracks. we are pretty much using the tour rules for our classes in bay city and mt pleasant.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts