Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclosure: I sell this kit and need money, so the opinions expressed herein may be tainted. Please take that into account.

My case of Moebius Frankenstein's Monster kits arrived today. I was pleased to note that, despite a hole in the side of the shipping box, my kits are in good shape, as opposed to the beating UPS gave my case of Spider-Man kits. There was a little bit of a muddy spot on the shrink wrap of one kit, so that's the one I kept for myself and opened up this afternoon.

Let's not bury the lead. Plenty of people have objected to the look of this monster and I agree that it's not the out-of-the-ballpark home run of the Mummy. This kit looks less like Karloff and is overall a bit stiff, even for the Monster. However, I still like it, and I was pleased to see how detailed the kit's facial features are.

At first, I thought it might help to use some Aves to lengthen the face a bit. Now that I see the kit in person, though, I might instead suggest chopping a couple of millimeters off the neck to give the creature a somewhat tougher, more bull-necked look. Of course, Karloff himself was thin, but the costume's padding hid that.

I wanted to show how this new Moebius Monster looks next to the Aurora classic. Unfortunately, the only version of that kit I have handy is a Luminators, but I did the best I could.

Here's one where I turned the Luminators Frankie black and white to try to better highlight the facial features.

The two heads in profile:

And with the Luminators kit in B&W:

The kit's head went together nicely and the seam line isn't intimidating. If the rest of it is as easy to assemble, it won't take long to get it ready to paint. Some additional photos of the kit follow.

I really appreciate how Moebius pays attention to some details I don't even consider. For example, on the Spider-Man kit, the seam line on the head follows the web pattern on the character's costume. On the new Frankie's base, there are a couple of delicate connection pins that are nicely protected by a clear plastic shield.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Frankie's box is nice. It's about the same height as a classic Aurora long box, but substantially wider and deeper. It also has a little more heft than the Moebius Spider-Man and Green Goblin boxes.

Overall, I'm pleased with this latest Moebius Universal Studios Monster and look forward to seeing the recently announced Lugosi Dracula.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, Todd. I will definitely have to pick up at least one of those :cool:

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Frankie looks better in profile than head on. I hate to say this but from the front he looks somewhat oriental like Karloff looked in FuManchu only without the mustache! Still looks like a cool kit and I cant wait for mine to arrive from Culttvman!:thumbsup:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,278 Posts
It's too neutral an expression. He needs to look just a little meaner. More frowny.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I dunno, he looks a little like when he was playing with the little girl right before he chucks her in the lake.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I'm thinking with a good ghoulish paint job and shadowing this could be a very good looking Monster... I can't wait for my two kits to hit the front door:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Mcdee

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
I'm thinking with a good ghoulish paint job and shadowing this could be a very good looking Monster... I can't wait for my two kits to hit the front door:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Mcdee
I totally agree! First I can't wait to get my hands on this new Frankenstein and second, I think with a good paint this is going to look VERY COOL!!!:thumbsup:

- Denis

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
The box alone makes it a must have! I agree with McD, with some paint, the head and face will look great. Thanks for posting the pics, Todd!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I think it looks good. This is THE monster kit I have been waiting on (passed on the Mummy). There are resin replacement heads for most plastic figure kits anyway... so if you really want one thats probably not going to be a big issue. But as is, I think it looks really pretty nice. I will build this kit next.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guess I'm one of the few that is disappointed in this kit. To me, the head looks like a caricature of Karloff, not an exact likeness. Compare the pictures posted to pictures of Karlof from the movie, big difference. Would have been fine if it was just a "generic" Frankenstein kit, but since Moebius is selling it as the Karlof monster, they should have made sure it looked like Karloff. Was looking forward to this kit, but I'll pass on it for now. Hopefully someone will offer a good replacement resin head in the future.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Would have been fine if it was just a "generic" Frankenstein kit, but since Moebius is selling it as the Karlof monster, they should have made sure it looked like Karloff.
Remember, since this is fully licensed then any sculpt had to be approved by the people controling the license.
For all we know, they could have had an exact likeness but had to change it.
Remember the head for Captain America that PL had to use because that is what Marvel wanted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know, it's not an exact likeness, but I think a good and proper paint job will make him look much less benevolent and he will look pretty cool. I think it's hard to tell too much with just a blank unpainted head.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Todd,

Thanks for posting those pics!

I think it is a GREAT kit for styrene! When was the last "styrene" Frankenstein kit done? A huge improvement over the Aurora Frankenstein kits!

I think a lot of folks here are being WAY TOO CRITICAL of this kit!

The box, the base, and yes the figure are WONDERFUL. If you don't like the head, buy a resin replacement to take it up a notch but I will definately be buying at least 2 or 3 of this one for starters!:thumbsup:

MOEBIUS....you guys ROCK!:thumbsup:

MMM

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Remember, since this is fully licensed then any sculpt had to be approved by the people controling the license.
For all we know, they could have had an exact likeness but had to change it.
Remember the head for Captain America that PL had to use because that is what Marvel wanted?
Could be, but it doesn't make sense for the license holders to want the sculpt not to look like Karloff, does it? When you compare photos of Karloff as Frankenstein to the Moebius sculpt it is quite a bit off. The kit's nice overall, but I still would like to see a better rendering of Karloff's face. Would make a good kit into a great kit. Hopefully, the Dracula kit is better.

As for being critical, aren't we as the consumer's allowed to be? Since Moebius does pay attention to what is being said on this board, I assume they like to hear input on their kits, good or bad. Like I said before, if it was a "generic" Frankenstein, the kit would be fine. But once you put a photo from the Karloff movie on the box, people expect the kit to look the same. This kit's head doesn't (although the rest came out pretty good). I'm curious to know why this sculpt was chosen. Was Moebius forced to use it by the people holding the license? Or was it deemed "close enough" and that was that? Sorry for sounding sour, but I was looking forward to this kit, especially after seeing how well The Mummy kit came out. In my opinion, the sculpt of the face in the Frankenstein kit falls short and to me the face goes a long way into making or breaking a kit.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
If the licence holders approval of the sculpt produced this result one has to wonder what the priority was. Logicaly speaking the more that the sculpt looks like Karloff the more units they would sell. Don't get me wrong. I like this kit alot and am thankfull to have a new Moebius Frankenstein. But even in plastic a more faithfull representation should have been possible. If they used an in house sculptor at the company in China that Moebius has contracted this may have been the best that he/she could do. Not everyone can sculpt a dead on likeness. I am suprised that the licence holder would approve such a weak likeness of Karloff however. The reason approval is needed from the licence holder is to protect thier property and present it in the best light possible. This sculpt could have been better. This is water under the bridge however. I am building one strait out of the box and will build another when a suitable replacement head is offered. I guess in this instance Moebius doubled thier money from me with my now buying two kits.
I cant wait for Dracula!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts