Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Spider-Man and Green Goblin kits arrived today. My verdict: possibly the best comic model kits ever made in styrene. They have all the terrific energy of the old Toy Biz Marvel Comics kits, but without the intimidation of poor-fitting parts. Plus, the Moebius kits are bigger. I spent a little while this evening poking through the boxes, test-assembling some parts, and was pleased.

These latest releases from Moebius Models, hot on the heels of the Universal Studios Karloff Mummy figure, help establish the company as one of the top producers of fantasy figure kits ever. Amazing. Thanks in large part to Moebius, hobbyists have available to them a steady flow of new kits of this kind, whereas only a few years ago it seemed that plastic fantasy figure kits were a thing of the past.

For the most part, I’m going to let my admittedly substandard photography do the talking here, because I think these kits speak for themselves. Without further ado:

The boxes of the new Moebius Models Spider-Man and Green Goblin next to the first Moebius figure kit, a repop of Aurora's Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde.

The kits are billed as 1/8 scale, but they're a BIG 1/8 scale. Look at the size of Spidey next to a Monogram repop of the Aurora Phantom.

Look at the clever way the seam on Spidey's head follows the inscribed web lines.

Spider-Man is cast in blue plastic, the Green Goblin in green. The gargoyles are sort of a tanned flesh color.

Here's how the Green Goblin's head compares with the Aurora Phantom.

The Goblin is happy to be a bad guy.

The Goblin's glider.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Boy, those do look like super kits. The boxes are much bigger than I thought they would be, as are the figures themselves. Another pair of great kits from Moebius. Thanks for posting the pics!

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
FINALLY somebody came up with a proper break line for Spidey's mask! :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
These look like they would fit right along side of the PL Spiderman kit in size.

Todd, you wouldn't happen to have the PL Spiderman to compare the size of the spidey heads together...would ya?

Thanks for posting...can't wait to get my hands on BOTH of these kits!

MMM

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Very nice. I was really pleased with the Moebius rendition of Dr. Jekyll. It was one of the best fitting plastic figures I have ever built. Likewise, the Invisible Man was very well done and despite a couple odd engineering ideas (the way it had you build the coat around the body makes painting hard), it built up very well also. Plastic quality and molding were top notch.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Todd - I've been soooo excited to get a hold of these kits since seeing them at the IPMS show. It's great that you found them already!! I was really impressed with the great detail to both figures and they are good sized!! Moebius has come thru again with more AWESOME models!!! The box art is very, very cool also!!! Can't wait!!!!!

Thanks for posting the pics!

- Denis

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wasn't excited at all by these when announced- then I saw the prototypes at the Nats in person....I was floored! Impressive in size and sculpts, now I am even more impressed by your photos! Now they are must haves! Thanks again, Frank for releasing product that really caters to builders of these types of models. It's only going to get better!
Gary:thumbsup:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, folks. Fifteen hours later, I still think they're great kits. I hope Moebius sells tons of them.

Todd, you wouldn't happen to have the PL Spiderman to compare the size of the spidey heads together...would ya?
Hmmm ... I have an open PL Spidey around somewhere, but I don't know if I can uncover it easily. I'll keep an eye out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You know, I wasn't going to get these kits (I'm more monster and sci-fi) but after seeing Todd's pics, I'm ordering 2 pair. Moebius oh Moebius!

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Thanks for the info Todd. I want to get a handfull of these. I did not realize the boxes were that much larger than the typical longbox. Thanks also for pointing out the head seam detail. That is a nice touch!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you all like the preview. I hope you're starting to rip the shrink wrap off the boxes yourselves.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Just freakin' cool!!

LOVE THE MATHCING BOX ART!

LOVE THE SPIDEY SEAM!

LOVE THE SIZE!

Admitidly I'm not a big figure person, but I really do want these two kits!! Nice to know they're finally out!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well,I'm convinced they will sell well.They are apparently great scupts in an impressive size.So watch out,Doc Oc,the Rhino,Scorpion and Mysterio,they might not be far behind if all goes well.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts