Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in Big Lots last weekend to see if there was anything good. Found this. The base is plastic but, has good detail.

JP2

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Thanks for contributing to the 1/43 scale forum JP-NC-JL-CRAZY! :wave:

Were there any other 1/43 scale diecast vehicles at Big Lots?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the only one I saw. Was hoping they would have some different trucks in this series, but this was the only one. They had about 8 or 10 of these.

JP2

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
That is a nice casting for $6.00.

Its pretty much an exception to everything I said about 1/43 in answer to a previous question today.

It is available in the USA
Its reasonably priced
And there is something that can be done to it to improve its appearance. What I was saying about most of the 1/43's I get is they've got so much detail built in there is little where else to do with them. Its just me...I like messin with stuff. This one would be one I could afford to mess with and would stand a 97% chance of improving how realistic it could look.

The grill, door handles, mirror back could be painted silver. The black recesses would look good against a silver grill. A piece of aluminum foil shiny side out works good for a mirror and would be a nice suttle contrast to the silver mirror back or maybe even JD Green. The foil would also do good for the gas cap. I'd also paint the hinges JD Green or the interior of the hood flat black.

If you wanted to get into taking it apart you could really get into some fine detailing by outlining the windshield in silver, painting the hub caps and head lamp rims. The underside could get some nice detailing and I assume there is an engine that could be wired and such.

If the interior is molded well it to could be nicely detailed.

Finishing a project like this is the kind of thing that makes me appreciate a "nice" 1/43 casting as much as a Franklin Mint. Might check out my Big Lots tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts