Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this started as my characters car in Diecast City. So I give credit to Dragnet_Supporter for getting me to try my hand at this. Pic #1 shows the stance I want when all is said and done :). I need to carve more out of the front to lower the frame more. I'm carving a oil tank out of plastic to attach to the JL motor. I'm hoping by grinding out a piece of the frame I can get the motor to sit low enough. So the headers stick out from under the fenders :). I'm going for a straight axle front end and was thinking about using a washer cut it hafe. Then grinding it to look like leaf springs. For the final effect I'm gonna try to remove all the silver molding from the car. Also a first for me. All I now is use acetone free nail polish remover :).

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
looks great...but the curve of the exhaust will never come out of those fenders even if you drop the motor. i had the same problem with midtowns dart and had to find the gasser cars that hot wheel made the exhaust is perfect for this. i will post pic if i can find it. later gunn :wave:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
gunn said:
looks great...but the curve of the exhaust will never come out of those fenders even if you drop the motor. i had the same problem with midtowns dart and had to find the gasser cars that hot wheel made the exhaust is perfect for this. i will post pic if i can find it. later gunn :wave:
First off I want to thank everyone for there comments. :thumbsup:

Hey Gunn, Did you try to straighten the pipes? I was thinking about heating a metal plate then laying the pipes on it until they are plyable. Then bending the plastic out. Let me know if this won't work. It's the only motor I have and would hate to melt the pipes off it. :)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
boston matt i cant find pics can you help us out thanks.
heating will probably destroy them.

·
Premium Member
14,344 Posts
Can't wait to see the completed custom GTO!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Not trying to make more work for you, and I have not yet tried it, but some guys will drill holes into the sides and then use either solder or a white wire the same diameter as the original headers. I can't remember what gets used for a collector, but with the flexibility you can shape them to fit.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dadvball said:
Not trying to make more work for you, and I have not yet tried it, but some guys will drill holes into the sides and then use either solder or a white wire the same diameter as the original headers. I can't remember what gets used for a collector, but with the flexibility you can shape them to fit.
I will try that Dadvball but not on this one. :) I wan't to keep this one as simple as possible. So far that's not working out for me. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts