Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first Pete McKay's AMG F1 cut mounted and painted. I still have to do some decaling. I'm not sure why I painted it like a Christmas ornament, but its pretty cool. This car is a real blast to run. I am very happy so far. It is nice to have a Magna-Traction F1.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Interesting color. I have some pastel colored Tomy Pavement Modifieds with fresh wax drying and four Eagles on the paint rack. I'm doing a new Waste Management Eagle car in neon green and yellow, a Pepto colored as yet unsponsored car, a turquoise Featherlite Trailers Eagle and I'm replacing my AMG sponsored white and blue Eagle. The Tomy modifies will be Washington State bound to Mike King as payment for his sponsorship of me on this forum early this week. They have McDonalds and Waste Management sponsoring (waits for the obvious irony) and are sequentially numbered.

Next month I'm going to order some decals from Patto's down under, depending on their quality I'll try to offer some painted cars for sale again but since the decals are $8 a sheet plus shipping they won't be cheap. I'm quickly running out of old model car decals none-the-less.

Here are my personal Eagles..

The White with French Blue Eagle will join them as soon as I finish building the chassis and will be #16, my number when I raced so many years ago. I was a HUGE Bobby Allison fan and loved the #16 Matadore Coke Machine. When I begin collecting again that will be my first purchase.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It's coming along very well Mike- :thumbsup:

Pete- your #40 & #59 cars are beautiful! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You've shown me enough now, that I would like to puchase a couple of (Ford) bods' from you- when the time is right, and you are caught up with your other molding priorities.

I still need to show you the box of old bubble bods' I've saved over the years.
(And discuss lexan painting for the wifes' Duster)

A question on these type of bods':
Several of the ones I have don't show a design mark or a molders stamp-
How would one know if they are infringing on someone elses product if they were to be reproduced?

No- I have absolutely no interest in making bubble-bods', Pete--although your pics and primer on the process were very enlightening- I was just curious about how these old bodys protected their copyrights?

Sorry for the hijack on your thread, Mike. This stuff just came to me whilst admiring your work- ;)
Show us your updates as you progress-

Cheers..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Boss, it's hard to manage the copyrights on the older bodies, especially when someone is set on making copies. When it's a small run of a product like my cars are it makes it even harder because they won't be readily recognized. Those who have been racing for a long time can recognize a particular body style they liked.

I have pictures of all my original concept molds now notarized and submitted to my attorney. That's all I can do as far as securing the copyright on my designs. There is no such thing as registering this type of sculpture for a copyright; the changes in the laws have made it really unnecessary. I have sued one 15 year old for making unauthorized duplications and won about $2500. I also had to get information on another that was attempting to get my bodies that had also made copies of another mfg.'s cars as a precaution. I don't sell that many cars to make suing people over this worth my time, but my ex-wife works for an attorney’s office and they do a lot of stuff for me pro bono.

I guess you could ask why would someone want to make a copy of something they can buy for $2.00 each anyway...if it's for their own use it's one thing, I lose a customer if they copy my stuff. If they're making it to sell, I'm losing my business. In March I made $126 on my stuff, that's not even close to what I gave away. Since "going public" with my website I've made $20 outside of my area. It's a start at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts