Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:tongue: sorry, couldnt resist using that title.

So, after attending a few car shows this season with some of my friends
it was suggested that I try and build a rat-rod.
I dont know why as I'm pretty much a Musclecar nut.
after some time to think it over, I decided to take a run over to the in-laws ranch to look through the junk pile.
Found the perfect victim, A 1932 Ford Two Door Sedan:

cant argue about the price......Free.

even found a cool steering wheel + hickey knob!:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Nice starting point! But please build a traditional hot rod and not a rat rod or a street rod. (I think) The world already has enough of those.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Cool! Can't wait to see it. Really hope you don't plan on doing any body work to it or painting it. The world has enough over-restored trailer queens and garage warmers. My advice is build something that's really loud and really fast :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Rat Style
That is a very common misconception. This picture you posted above is not a "Rat style" hot rod. It is a traditional hot rod of the kind you would have seen being built in the late 40's, 50's, or early 60's, just like the bottom picture of the Ford roadster. Just because it has flat or semi-gloss paint does not make it a rat rod.

Rat rods are (usually) poorly engineered, loose accumulations of barely related auto, truck, tractor, and household parts thrown together without concern for safety of the driver or other motorists. They are known for their use of rust, spider webbed rebar, chain, truck tires, and mailboxes as design elements. They are not generally featured in Rod and Custom magazine, from where that picture was linked.

Spend some time lurking on the HAMB if you want a complete education about traditional hot rods (and customs).

Sorry to sound grouchy but sloppy automotive doctrine is a pet peeve of mine. :hat:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
You're right, the red primer car isn't a rat.

A big congrats on your find!
Any body style '32 is usually impossible to find and usually is big bucks in any condition from what I understand. The frame alone is a big score I believe.

My vote would be for mid to late '60s style straight-up hot rod.
Which way are you leaning towards?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You're right, the red primer car isn't a rat.

A big congrats on your find!
Any body style '32 is usually impossible to find and usually is big bucks in any condition from what I understand. The frame alone is a big score I believe.

My vote would be for mid to late '60s style straight-up hot rod.
Which way are you leaning towards?
right now I'm leaning towards selling the thing.
went to pick it up yesterday and had some real fun.
moved it from the antique trailer it was sitting on, onto my dovetail car hauler.
do you see the curved piece of iron sitting in front of that '32?
well, I decided to use it as a ramp to run my floor jack onto my trailer while it supported this wheel-less wonder.
that piece of iron weighs several hundred pounds. and in the process of picking it up to position it I fell through the decking of the older trailer, dropping that crusher blade on my left hand, crushing several fingers.
anyway, the thing is loaded onto my trailer.
scored several other cool pieces of automobilia, including this '34 Chevy Grill/radiator surround/radiator and headlights:

and my wife decided she wants a '36 Oldsmobile that is sitting over there for a new flower planter for the front pasture of my place :)drunk:) so I'm going to have to go back over and figure out how I'm going to get that gem home.
Oh, and I found a '33 Ford two door frame complete with bumpers attached (it helped me identify the frame) and I have to drag that home just on general principle. While I was talking to my father in law about that cool steering wheel I found, he suddenly drove off in his pick up, and came back with a mint Banjo style steering wheel from a '40 Ford coupe that was in one of his barns for the last sixty years or so, hidden from the elements.

oh, and the '34 Chevy frame?
my friend wants it because its all boxed in from the factory, and he will use it for his '31 Chevy coupe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rat rods are (usually) poorly engineered, loose accumulations of barely related auto, truck, tractor, and household parts thrown together without concern for safety of the driver or other motorists.
i wonder if that's where we got the term "mickey mouse"
he was part of the rat family right?
and when you mickey mouse something it's not the best solution right?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Man, what a treasure trove indeed!
The '33 frame and the Chevy grill and headlights are all desirable pieces that deserve good homes for sure!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts