Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

It's the new MPC kit that came out last year. As for the cockpit PE parts, you have to buy them from Paragrafix. They aren't included in the kit.

I started working on the landing gears compartments.... I will add detailing later on...... more to come....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vABDR1aFrSiszj2C9

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys... thanks your comments...

I've finally decided to drop the idea of installing an elevator to the Hawk. It would make no sense, the fuselage is way to small. An astronaut would have to move inside on his knees....

I've primed all the cockpit parts and main Hawk parts. I've just added some putty that will need to be sanded and reprimed..... I will start painting the cockpit parts pretty soon.....

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I've finally decided to drop the idea of installing an elevator to the Hawk.....
It could be the normal tube with an adapter, but where would it even attach? The crew would have to get in 'inside the hanger', or do a walk in full space suits.
Maybe that's why it's a prototype.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Since we never see any sort of door that a docking tube would connect to (like on the Eagle passenger pod), I always figure there was a hatch door on the bottom in the main body where a ladder would drop down and the pilots would climb up and into a small airlock where they would walk forward into the command module/cockpit. That's where you placed the forward landing gear. I don't know what kind of head room would be inside though in the main body so I don't know if that would work or not.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Excellent job on this! This particular Space:1999 vehicle never really grew on me that much, but I can appreciate fine work when I see it! Love the detail, keep at it!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

Well after doing some testing, this Hawk isn't a 1/72 or maybe the Eagle isn't 1/72, I JUST DON'T KNOW...... I tooked several pictures, one with a figurine from the Moonbase Alpha kit, figurines that are used for the Main Mission season 1 diorama. This figurine fits perfectly for the 1/72 Eagle. But if I take the same figurine and put it in the Hawk, it's so tiny....... I even took a picture with a 1/72 Apollo astronaut and put it right beside the Eagle. The pecfect size pilot for the cockpit would be 1/48, I also tooked a picture of the pilot in the PE seat..... my head is starting to spin..... Back to my built, I've painted the instrument panels, both seats. I've also painted the cockpit interior and seat belts. Here's the link for all those pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UDKnULUrT1ARnwSy6

In the comic ''Space 1999 Aftershock'' (BTW, it's a fun story to read, they show what happed on Earth after the Moon left the Earth orbit), we can see the Hawks suspended, not on landing gears.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xJo4edpohF3J5Jb9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3egg2jwPXb4eTE5R9

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The Eagle definitely isn't 1/72. I rate that kit at 1/96 scale. Which fits nicely between others' determinations of somewhere between 1/87 to 1/100.

Round 2 claimed a while back that they were planning a release of a "true" 1/72 scale Eagle that would be about 14 inches in size.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know the size of the Moonbase Alpha Main Mission dio that can be built with the Moonbase Alpha, the figurines that goes in this dio are the perfect size for the Eagle. May this dio is somewhere between 1/87 and 1/100 like you mention..... It's too bad we can't get those figurines anywhere else.... maybe I'll try to clone a couple in resin...... but they are so small, it's gonna be pretty hard.....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent job on this! This particular Space:1999 vehicle never really grew on me that much, but I can appreciate fine work when I see it! Love the detail, keep at it!

Thanks...... I'm not a super fan of the design but since it's a rare Space 1999 ship, I wanted to built it. There's a lot more rare ships in this series (Super Swift, Ultra Probe, Tanks) that would be nice to have.... without having to spent and arm and a leg.... maybe one day, Round2 will produce more Spacee 1999 ... let's cross our fingers.....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank Richard. I will add more details to the landing gears later one...

The PE parts from Paragrafix aren't for an open cockpit like the one I'M building. The cokcpit looks so empty....

So, back to square one for the cockpit.

I'll scratchbuilt the entire cockpit, except for the seats. I modified the interior by adding a floor, added some putty to level the sides, paintend the first parts for the intruments panels, glued in place what will be the forward section of teh cockpit, right in front of the pilots. I'm refering to the Eagle cockpit's, it will look a lot like it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UDKnULUrT1ARnwSy6

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Thanks...... I'm not a super fan of the design but since it's a rare Space 1999 ship, I wanted to built it. There's a lot more rare ships in this series (Super Swift, Ultra Probe, Tanks)...
For quicky designs created and built in a week or so they have certainly stood the test of time. Martin Bower was on a roll.

Found a documentary;

1 - 20 of 46 Posts