Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the big X-wing models Rel and Cougar posted, I had to grab this ol' Hasbro X-wing at a garage sale. It's not as accurate as their kits, but with some filling, re-surfacing, and new paint I think it can be greatly improved, and with a 18" wingspan and 21" length it certainly meets the "big" requirement. Plus the sound effects, light-up R2, and targeting computer appeal to the geek in me. Best of all the price, $5. I already removed the big "handle" from the bottom:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pyxl said:
We'll be Klaatuned in to see more!
Good eye, I've been sanding on that POS garage kit for about three weeks now trying to get him smooth.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I have that toy, so I know the size it is. Of course I bought it at full price new. I think it is a great idea, like I have seen alot of now, to convert toys into, more of a finished model.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I heated it with a hair dryer last night, and carefully peeled off the stickers, and then stuck them all neatly on a piece of glossy photo paper. I can scan that sheet now, and use it to make waterslide decals. I'll probably scan my Fine Molds decal sheet and resize it for more markings, unless JT or Jbot make decals for an X-wing this big!

I still haven't worked out the best way to deal with the fold down landing gear though.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what it looks like sans stickers, I'm curious what the rest of your guys used as a basecoat. I did a test with some scrap of Testor's Light Aircraft Grey, but it didn't look right at this scale, at least to my eyes.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Scott, try using white as your base coat and apply occassional grey washes here and there to darken it a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts