Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this one in the mail. By far my best steal yet. It is perfect in every way. Not a scratch on her, not even tire wear with even th original rubber band, ramp and plane. I was fully expecting repro ramp for what I got I for but it is all original. What a beauty.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Eric, You sure that is the original paint ??? Reason I am asking, is because not many Redlines look that way without paint toning (Dark Blotches) all over the body. You will even see paint blotches on the cars inside the original blister packs from the 60s 70s sealed up. I'm sure the rubber band has been replaced as it would of broke sitting for 40+ yrs.

Just me, but I think its been repainted

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
very nice original piece! i like it and im not one for those styles of cars not to say iwould not accept that into my collection but! i need to find me a redline! i dont have any yet oldest casting i have is the 1912 benz limo from lesney. i honestly dont think its been repainted...from the pictures of redlines i have seen the color is correct(hard to get correct color and depth with a repaint even if you had the factory paint) and to my eyes i do see some darker splotches which is caused from oxidation under the color correct? heck that rubber band could be original(doubt it but thats a minor thing imo). but that band looks so stiff that it appears to be an orignal(ive had a few non diecast items with old rubber bands and most time they become stiff and only break if stretched.) just my observations...nice casting though do you mind saying how much you paid for it? i do wish it was easier to rechrome plastic but its not...and even the reproduction redline wheels dont look right to my eyes for some reason..something about em..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric, You sure that is the original paint ??? Reason I am asking, is because not many Redlines look that way without paint toning (Dark Blotches) all over the body. You will even see paint blotches on the cars inside the original blister packs from the 60s 70s sealed up. I'm sure the rubber band has been replaced as it would of broke sitting for 40+ yrs.

Just me, but I think its been repainted
It may just be that picture but it does have a bit of toning to the metal underneath. Ill take a closer pic when I get back from the bus stop picking up my daughter. It is def original I have no doubts about that. Ill post a closer pic an see what you think in a few.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose it is possible that the rubber band is different than came from the box but it is def really old. It is very brittle and dry rotted. It would break if I stretched it. I moved it about a mm and noticed it was all cracked and brittle. That does t really matter either way anyway since all that does is make it impossible to use in that config. Ill have to find a band that size and try it out. I think I may have to pull a Typhoid Mary like Blane did to me and spread the sickness to opie. I have a few dupes I'd be willing to send you to start ya out. Send me your address opie. You'll neve be the same. Lol. There are some really cool cars and will give you a whole new focus to chase since many of the ones you will want can get expensive but you can keep searching and eventually find them for a steal. Then when you get one you love there are so many different colors, then reissues in enamel, and the. The ultimate score of mint or blistered although I'm not to the blistered point yet cause redlines are one that I like being loose so you can enjoy and display them more than the newer mainlines etc. something a bit more special about them in my eyes anyway.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My daughter and I tried it out. It is the coolest thing ever. We were playing catch with the plane. Sooo cool. She loves it.

Here is a few pics showing te toning. I did just notice a tiny spot of corrosion on front r fender corner.
I'm def not an expert yet and don't claim to be. I just seems pretty original to me and shows none of the signs I know that it's been tampered with.

Ill let you more experienced guys give your input and wisdom. I will learn from it either way. Either way though it is awesome and well worth te cost even if restored.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Restored, destored..whatever, if it's real, awesome, if not, it looks cool and you got a good deal..but the fact that you and your daughter can spend time together playing with it is worth more than if Larry Woods gave you that car.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My personal opinion is, if you are happy with the car and you are happy with the price you paid, then who cares whether its original, restored or otherwise.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I do not have a Redline Price Guide in front of me to see prices or pictures, but if memory serves me right .... Shouldn't the roof be painted a matte black .... This is why I said it is a Custom as it looks too good to be true.

I am stoked to see its all there with all the parts :thumbsup: ... Playing with it w/ your daughter is pricelessssssssss

Someone will chime in with a stock original pic

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The black roof came on the reg Fleetside released in 1968. The Sky Show Fleetside released in 1970 did not have a painted roof. Also, while not he hardest to find color green is on the harder side to find. I would say in today's market value would be in the $150-$180 range for one that clean.

It looks real to me. Very clean with little wear. I think you done good. :thumbsup: Would you mind sharing what you paid? Either here or in a PM. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked the ultimate redline guide and it appears just te opposite

Says all custom fleetside a have a black roof but none of te sky's how ones have it.

Now I am curious if the repro parts have the Mattel pat date and copyright info molded into them. This one has all the original hallmarks molded into it and does not look to be brand new at all. It has the bend stress marks at the Bend places you would expect.

I can't find anything that says repro or touched up at all. Mind out I didn't buy it for its value but the fact it is valuable is a nice plus. It's not like its going back on eBay. I try not to knowingly buy restored cars cause there is something cool about an original car with the toning and minor chips. It shows it is truly old. Something just looks off on the fully restored cars. If I wanted a car with modern paint and methods I'd just buy the RLC version.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While the value in te book is nowhere near reality, I usually put values on anything at half of what any guide says. And then set my limit at no more than half of that price if it is a must have car. I paid just under $50 shipped for it. Most I've ever paid for any car but well worth it to me on this one. I knew it wasn't a rare color or anything but that wasn't my target anyway. Heck. Me and my daughter have gotten that much worth out of it in the first games we played with it.

I alter my searches to catch the typos and people who aren't collectors or going by any type of book value. Usually if it doesn't say redline in the title I can get a super deal on them.

I just took a challenge from a buddy to see what I can get him for $20.

Picked up 11 redlines including a couple very good ones in enamel one being pink.
So the deals are out there if you know how to look and snipe em.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Eric, Its all in what makes you happy and that Car has done its job.... Congrats in your find and hope you find more in the future. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts