Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna go ahead and separate these two builds from my other thread, since I will be taking more detailed pics as I go.

For starters, here are a lot of the pieces in fresh primer, black for the batmobile, grey for the Caddy:

You'll note a few pieces painted aluminum. We'll be assembling the batmobile engine shortly (but probably not tonight).

The Ghostbusters car is interesting. There is no engine to assemble. I don't recall ever building a car model like that. I'm sure they are out there, I just never ran into it. The lower body pan has all the necessary details molded in already. However, I'll need to hand-paint a lot of bits under there to make them look like they are separate components.

Looking ahead at the instruction sheets, the batmobile is currently just a typical old car build. Pretty straightforward. My plan is to use Panther Pink* for the pinstriping, and as such, the next step for the body is to be totally covered in that color so I can tape off the pinstriping before a black coat.

Inside Ecto-1, there is an antique car phone. You know the kind. From back in the 80's when they weighted a couple of pounds... Too cool. And their computer monitor is to be painted light green. I just happen to have some glow in the dark medium to use there.

* I was looking at the real-world specs for the batmobile, and the color they used is called "Flourescent Cerise". A little bit of googling and I turn up a sample of the color, which to my mind looks so much like Panther Pink that it makes no difference to me. See here. It is lighter than Panther Pink, but it should work once the black goes on next to it.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
The Ghostbusters car is interesting. There is no engine to assemble. I don't recall ever building a car model like that. I'm sure they are out there, I just never ran into it. The lower body pan has all the necessary details molded in already. However, I'll need to hand-paint a lot of bits under there to make them look like they are separate components.
I look forward to your Batmobile build, is it the PL's Deluxe kit?
I also was surprised when I ran across kits without engines and that they cost
more then the far more detailed kit from Revell, go figure......:freak: The two
Hasegawa VW type II's have only bottom detail, so I bought two extra Revell Samba's just for the engine,transaxle and deck lids to make them the way they should have been designed. I think this type of kit is called a "Curbside kit", can anyone confirm that.

·
Curmudgeon
6,649 Posts
I think this type of kit is called a "Curbside kit", can anyone confirm that.
Yep. A "curbside kit" is a vehicle kit that does not contain proper engine parts other than what may or may not be molded into the floorpan. Allegedly the etymology of the term comes from the concept that "It's not going anywhere without an engine, so it's just going to sit at the curb."

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, got some progress made tonight.

Managed to convince my son that if he was going to buy a model kit, open it up and gush about how much he was looking forward to having it finished, it would require that he actually build the thing. So we got most of the engine ready:

Further, I got the interior floor pan of Ecto-1a mostly done. I still have a few items to work on (radar detector, computer monitor, things like that). I followed the instructions as best I could, but they aren't as detailed as I would like. So a lot of this is best guess and compromise with pictures I found online. I admit that some of this was done strictly because I thought the detail would look better (such as the tan jumpseats). I still need to touch up a few things here and there.

In addition, this is actually the second attempt. Initially, I worked from the primer, since much of the pan was to be grey. I hand brushed in the black parts, and then started trying to brush in white everywhere it was needed. The results were less than spectacular. So I took it back out, and resprayed with flat white, then put the grey and black in, and then began major details. Looks better, even if the details aren't completely accurate.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two things occur to me as I work on these projects:
1) I enjoy kits where I have to try and model an actual car or airplane. In this case, Ecto-1a. It's less stressful than making things up and designing the finished look myself. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the custom aspect, but it can take a lot out of you.
2) I'm really thinking of grabbing another copy of this kit, just to see how tough it would be to make an old ambulance. I'm really digging this body style.

Ok, so where are we after today's work?
A little bit of trim on the hood, a set of emergency lights, and the antenna:

The antenna has to be the worst designed piece in this kit, if only for the two places where it joins the sprue. The joins are very wide, very tough to cut (I was afraid it was going to break), and took a lot of filing to get into shape. Of course, it's also a chrome piece, so there's lots of white showing. Thankfully it's all at an angle where it will be very hard to see.

Now if you think that this all I accomplished over the last couple of days, you would be wrong. I finished the interior, too:

I do really wish this kit came with a rack full of proton packs. That would just be so cool! I think that's the only thing missing.

But wait! How about some unlicensed electronic equipment of an unknown nature?

Obviously, this is incomplete. Tomorrow I plan to finish the roof rack, which involves a few decals, another equipment pod, and some radar-dish widgets. The signboards come later.

This one is a lot of fun so far.

the batmobile...well, as I mentioned before, my son likes the idea of modelling, but never wants to do any of the work. And since he just started High School today, his time is going to be tight. I imagine it will become a weekend thing.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nearly there, a few details to add, some touching up to correct mistakes, and then decals.

Unfortunately, I managed to get some marks on the windshield. Fortunately, I have already dosed it with Future, so I'm hoping to give it another coat and maybe fill in the rough spots, making them harder to see. It works with a spit polish, at any rate.

The interior gets glued to the floorpan, which still needs painted and detailed, then the axles go on, and the floorpan is glued to the body.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A little late with the info; but, you could've used the chassis and engine compartment parts from the Monogram #2957 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. The Ecto-1 is also a '59 model; so, there wouldn't be any major mods you would need to make.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that's one more project finished.

It comes with removable panels so that the flashing signs on the roof can be changed out periodically. Of course, they could have used a brighter red and green on those signs to make them easier to see...

In the end, I just didn't bother much with the undercarriage.A coat of flat black and some silver along the exhaust system was all I did. I'm not in the habit of tipping my cars over anyway, and knowing this one was pre-molded, it just didn't seem worth it to me to go the whole nine yards on it.

It'll be a few days before I start a new project, gotta wait for the ole payday to get here.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Batgirls Mobile?

Yes, it's pink. If you do a little research you'll find that the 'red' on the batmobile is actually called 'flourescent cerise'. It's another of Barris' custom colors. Further, do a little searching, and you can come up with color samples, and those samples are pretty bright pink, with maybe a tinge of red to them. At any rate, put pink next to black, and the red in it tends to show better. I think I posted links to color samples further up the thread. (Either that, or it'll look completely stupid, I'll remove the paint, and just start over using red.)

Anyway, now I can mask off all the striped area on the batmobile in preparation for the final coats of black.

I'm doing this even though my son is currently at school because he is more of a builder and less of a painter. He enjoys the assembly, he just wishes he didn't have to wait for the paint to dry. So I'll do the painting while he's at school and in the evenings we can work on the assembly steps. (After homework, of course.)

·
Curmudgeon
6,649 Posts
Y'know, like most people I believed the stripes on the original Barris Batmobile were red. After reading this thread again I took a closer look at some photos and, sure enough, the stripes have a pinkish hue. I guess you do learn something new every day. Thank you for the education!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And now it isn't pink.

The masking job didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I hesitate to blame my son, but it was his first mask job. For a first attempt, it isn't half bad. Now for some touching up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man you did a great job on the Ecto-1A build, it's looks great, and man the details are awesome, i just got one of these kits, and i will soon be building it, hope mine turns out as good as yours, and i can't wait to see how the batmobile comes out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.