Hobbyist Forums banner

My Aurora Monsters

3K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  djnick66 
#1 ·
Well some of them... alive and well in their new home. I am in the process of moving and so far everyone has fared pretty well. The Phantom's cape has popped loose but I can fix that.

I have another box with more of them (somewhere)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks - its taking me forever to arrange stuff. Most of it all is boxed up in the garage in no real order so its kind of pot luck as to what is where for now. And moving some of the furniture is tough. Those big glass Ikea display cases weigh about 100 lbs (based on what the box said when I bought it). I had to man handle it by myself down two long hallways. I wasn't sure where I had wanted it when I moved so I had the movers just dump it off in my dining room.

#6 ·
Definitely a great display and great models DJ. Now you've got all that room too but I am sure you can fill it up! Are you still in the Lakeland area? We are on our way to Tampa tomorrow to give our son and DIL their long haired dachshunds back. I'll wave as I pass through!

#11 ·
Thanks !

Yup still in Lakeland...

The lettering on Nosferatu was pretty simple... I painted the letters white, and added a red "blood" wash over them. Then i went back over the white again to pick it out more and to sharpen it up. Its hard to see in the pic but there is a bit of red and purple in the stone areas.

#13 ·
Very cool setup mate! How many of those showcases do you have?
I nearly bought on of them from Ikea but went with the one with the black frame- slightly bigger shelves.
Great work on the figures too!

Chris.:)

#14 ·
I have two of the Ikea cases (I have not built one yet). They are great! The price went up in the last year from $55 to $60 but still... They come in two options. This is the light wood and silver metal framework. I have one in dark wood with black metal. They are the exact same size. The light is optional. I don't use it much but got one just to see how it works. It does get HOT so you shouldn't leave it on a long time or have tall models that get close to it. Ikea does have a somewhat similar case with a black wrought iron frame thats marginally bigger but also costs twice as much. I have one more case thats more traditional with a wood framework, mirrored back, etc. It's not from Ikea but is roughly the same size but with one less shelf. I have also 5 large Ikea book cases and 9 half width cases, all with glass doors on the top shelf and half with glass doors over the front.

I need to get the Dark Shadows Werewolf kit... thats the one I had as a kid. Its just a really crappy model... I may resculpt the head a bit myself (since you get two in the box).

I did this Aurora Wolfman is a black/grey base since I had a prior build in brown. There is a hint of brown to him but the overall color is a warm grey, I was never happy with the Lil Abner hillbilly pants Aurora chose to stick him into.

So far most of my models survived the move just fine ! The Phantom's cape is loose, One figure popped off my Lost in Space Cyclops kit, one piece popped off one of the Aurora knights, and a wheel hub came loose from a Tiger tank.

#16 ·
Yeah they are $60 USD in store. I had bought ONE and got it in my car and took it home. The box is quite heavy (around 100 lbs). I wanted more cases but didn't feel like the hassle as I have to fold the back seats down, empty out the trunk, etc. and then man handle the box into the car.

When I moved I wanted a bunch of Ikea book cases. They will pick your order for you and deliver it. In my case it was $149 to pull and deliver nearly 50 boxes that weighed over half a ton. Can't beat that. I'd have spent more to rent a truck. I had them toss another display case into my order.

#17 ·
Those shelves are apparently currently listed in the Idea catalog. We are going to Orlando on Wednesday and were planning on visiting Ikea so maybe I'll take a look at them. They are currently $65 per unit. They are basically totally enclosed aren't they? That would help to keep the dust off. I bought a close out on a nice big book shelf earlier this year for $100 that I have been very happy with. You do have to dust all my models on my book shelves as none have doors. Here's the Detolf link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

#26 ·
Thanks for posting the link Bob.:wave:
The one I have is the Klingsbo. I can't believe the incredible difference in the price of US v Australia!! I'd expect a little difference in price but....???

Chris.:)

#18 ·
Thats the one. The price might vary a couple bucks. They were $10 - $15 cheaper a year and a half ago. But then they have things on sale, etc. Its still a deal. The case is not airtight, so it is not entirely dust proof. On the other hand, it does pretty well. The back two corners are sealed but around the door there is a natural gap. The light pictured in your link is not included. You can get one of a number of the Ikea bulb or LED lights and fit it if you want. There is a hole in the top (with plastic plugs) if you do want to add a light. The light I bought is supposed to be screwed into place but I used Velcro and it works fine and is removable.

#27 ·
Thanks for the great pics, all. I love the museum quality displays. As for safely moving kits, I had a pristine Creature pro built which I carefully wrapped for shipping when I heard "SNAP!"
Yup... One of the claws. (Mr Murph has a tale of woe for every occasion. I am, after all, Irish).

#28 ·
I didn't really "pack" most of my kits. I just stood them up in big, deep, fruit packing boxes. They can't tip over... and then I added balls of tissue paper and wadded up plastic grocery bags in between them to keep them from rubbing/jiggling around. I put my knights flat on their backs on a folded towel, with another folded cloth on top. My Monster Scenes kits got stacked up on top of them since they are small and light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.