Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

I hope it's OK to post this.. But I thought it would be fun to post pics of my Aurora creature restoration!!

Im not a pro builder like some of you guys, but I would like to htink that I am on my way ;)

Here is the kit pic from ebay... Looked good to me...

I won him for $18.. Seemed fair even though he is missing a few pieces, which a very generous boardie sent me for free :) Thanks again!!!

When he got to me, he literally fell apart. It was held together using that old glue that smells like orange citrus...

After more disassembly, stripping of old paint via degreaser, and regluing and a lot of putty ( these pieces dont seem to fit well, which I have deduced through my other thread is a common issue with this kit) I got it to a point where I felt OK putting on a basecoat...

Here is where it stands now.. Ill update more and work progresses!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You've basecoated the glow parts!!?! The Creature kit is one of the few for which glow parts are quite appropriate, seeing as they follow the subsections of the body, especially the chest. I would have kept it as a glow kit, but you've probably got an idea in your mind's eye as to how you want it to turn out.

Well done on securing the missing parts, by the way. The Monogram photo-box 1994 version might be the best place to acquire any more spare parts should you need them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Yeah Im not a big fan of the Glow... I have an idea in my head and the kit, glow or not, was just a means to get to that end result ... Hope that isnt some sort of Aurora kit blasphemy or something.. eek!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Well...you did what you did, and that's ok.

Funny...I have a Creature (Non-Glow) in the same stage...painted in a green basecoat and then I stopped. Maybe I'll get inspired to finish mine.

Be careful of the finger tips/finger nails. Mine fell over and I broke a few off.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Looks good so far!
[I can deal with you painting over the glow parts, but removing that Bette Davis lipstick? Blasphemous!] :p.

Have some fun. I'm looking forward to your wip!

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
So far...so good...I noticed the snake was not in the pictures...is it Missing?
Mcdee

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my latest update.. Creature paint is done.. The photo wasnt great lighting so the paint color range isnt showing up too well (Its not as contrasty in person.. Probably the sun position when I took it).. Ill make sure to fix that for the next pic!!

The snake was missing, but a friendly boardie sent me a replacement :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!! The paintjob looks WAY better in person.. the photo makes it look really contrasty! Ill have to play with it for when I take the final pics :)

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
It might just be your lighting. Have you tried using the "Enhance" feature on your photo editing software? It brightens things up for my pictures.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt take the time I should have with the shoot.. haha :)

So are you inspired to finish yours yet?? :)

Once Its all together Ill take good, well lit photos with proper camera settings... this one just didnt work :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, he is finished! I feel like I painted him a bit darker than usual... I just wanted to change it up a bit.. I compensated for that with the large lizard in the back :)

Im not too pumped on the snake.. Tried going for a green tree python pain scheme but I dont really like it as an accessory anyways... Might just remove it!

Fun kit to build and restore! I have the lizard tongue, but I didnt like it much so its just taped on the bottom of the model so I dont lose it :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
WELL CRAP!

love the paint job on the lizard!!!!!!

and the base, i took the lame a$$ approach of water, like the box art.

i wont repaint it now, although i screwed my gillman trying to mist a pearl effect, mistakenly used metallic pearl and covered all my detail work.

but i might take a page from your book when i bash the other one i have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts