Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here was my Alien 3 model from Halcyon back from the 90's. The paint job was airbrushed Testor Tan enamel then washed rubbed with Minwax Mahogany stain. Sealed with clear gloss Krylon.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
looks good! Better than mine.

how did you do the drool?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alien 3

The drool was done by heating up a stick of Hot Melt Glue. I used to be so good at it I could create the little drop bubble just before it would fall effect. It has since chiped off the drool line on this model. Hold it till it starts to show signs of solidifing and then an up down motion to seprerate.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Man, that's awesome! (I recently watched the original movie again, and it still scares the poo out of me!)

Good drool can be made from Devcon 3 minute epoxy too. I use it on my Rat Fink models! Wait until about the 2 minute mark, then lovingly apply it to the area you want for disgustingly real results!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
So dang scary! I love the reproduced teeth color. That stainless steel look. Scared me from the very first film.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dome on the creature was a clear plastic and when I airbrushed the model tan, I didn't airbrush the upper crest so when I applied the Minwax mahagony stain, it did what I thought it would do on bare unfinished plastic and started to seperate into tiny droplets of color. Here was the trick, it wasn't rubbed on like the body. It was airbrushed thinly over the head. This caused seperation and not pooling leaving the motted effect you see. Then I airbrushed the darker color build up of color after I had sealed the head in clear Krylon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts