Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started building the movie Seaview from Moebius. As with every other Moebius kit, the detail and look is awesome. Here is the interior pics. Decals are Henry's from TSDS. I havent totally glued one wall, because im waitng on the light kit from Gil at Just an Illusion. Dont know whats entailed for the interior lighting. In some of the pics , you can make out the backlit panels in the upper and lower hallway. These were supplied with the TSDS decals. More pics as I get more done.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost completed Seaview

Here are some more pics from my build. Added lighting to the fins , sail, and missile launch. Just need to finish installing the interior, which also is lighted and fill the seams , and paint the bottom white.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few lighted pics

Here are a couple of light shots. some pics are fuzzy. im not quite sure how to capture the lighting without flashing it out

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
FYI: Submarine Missiles when launched are NOT powered by rocket motors at the time of launch! Missiles are BLOWN OUT of the tubes by high pressure air while still submerged. The two stage solid rocket motors ignite when the missile clears the surface of the water. The Polaris A-1 missiles range was just under 1000 nautical miles. Just a technical tidbit for those who need to know such things.:wave:

Allthough the effect looks cool !

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
^Yes, but inaccurate, as Duct noted.

But no matter, the rest is freakin' gorgeous!

Excellent job all round!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Qick question fo anyone that can help , or has any tips. I am finished building the Seaview. I have it lit , but I dont know how to incorporate the pedestals into a base so that i can put the switch and hide the 9 v battery. What can I mount the pedestals into to give me enough depth to hide the battery and mount the switch. Id like to mount it on wood, but I dont have any woodworking tools to work with wood. What can be any easy fix for this, or an easy base to make. Ill post pics when everything is mounted up. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
A quick thought (assuming you have a friend with some woodworking tools since you said you don't have any):
  • Cut the piece of wood to size (I'd suggest oak, maple, or poplar) and route the edges to give it a bit of visual appeal
  • Route a channel down the bottom-center, lengthwise
  • Drill holes centered on the pedestal locations AND at the center.
  • Mount a battery holding box over the center hole ... "hiding" it with some sort of name placard (you can also add the switch(es) on the box
  • Run the wires down through the pedestal(s), though the channel, then up into the battery box

To be able to remove the model from the stand, you could add phono jacks on the top of the pedestal(s) and sockets inside the model.

If you don't have a friend with woodworking tools, you could use a pre-cut wooden shelf available at any home improvement store. To route the channel, put a bit into your Dremel and cut a small channel for the wires.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a decal for the tracking markings on the Polaris missile included in the kit? If not has any of the aftermarket folks thought of this missing detail?
The black tracking decals come with the aftermarket kit fromTSDS' The kit supplies the red stripe decal and a map

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a video and some pics of my completed 8 window movie USOS Seaview. I think it came out pretty good. I didnt paint the ballasts black. I still might , but I think it looks pretty good as it is. I got the $10 recording speaker from Radio shack. The decals are from TSDS, and the lighting kit was from Just an Illusion. The base is wood from AC Moore as well as the letters. All comments are welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
:thumbsup: You did a fine job, Jaws62666, and very smooth,too! The only thing I'd really recommend is for you to do the admittedly tedious, repetitive, and utterly soul-sucking task of painting those ballast tank vents either flat black or charcoal grey; you'll find that they really bring this model to life.
Maybe this winter if your not working on anything else at the time. :hat:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumbsup: You did a fine job, Jaws62666, and very smooth,too! The only thing I'd really recommend is for you to do the admittedly tedious, repetitive, and utterly soul-sucking task of painting those ballast tank vents either flat black or charcoal grey; you'll find that they really bring this model to life.
Maybe this winter if your not working on anything else at the time. :hat:
Ya I was going to do it. i got caught up with trying to get a nice base done , and forgot about it. i might do it later.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
jaws62666 thanks so much for this thread! Any last touches like Seaview suggested? Any final pictures you've not posted? Any final thoughts on this kit now that you can look back on it? I love this build, and I'll be doing one myself after Jan. 1 when I get the kit. I don't know how mine will turn out, but this thread will be referenced often I guarantee.
-Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts