Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a recent convert to collecting Johnny Lightning I constantly hear people complaining about the recent price increase. Some have actually threatened to start collecting Hotwheels again because they sell for $1.00. The sad thing is these people will still spend the same amount, instead of one nice casting they will now own 5 mediocre ones. Collecting has gone from quality to quantity. It's better to have thousands of cars packed away than a few really nice ones that you can display. Oh well to each his own. Me, I am hear to stay. I will glady pay the price. I've been to the other side and I'm not going back again.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Collect what you love then you will love your collection. Its simple, but if you stay focused then an extra buck here and there is OK!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I believe in collect what you like but the price increase has affected how many models I will buy. It makes me much more selective.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Nice post Geman57, welcome aboard. Were glad your here. Hey MBTom, I hear what your saying. Due to the overall increase of all diecast brands and scales ( with the exception of HW, which I just don't pick up very often) my selections have become far more selective as well.

But I have to admit, I REALLY like the ones I am buying more! I have been more careful in the choosing, and therefor wound up with cars I likes better.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
matchboxtom said:
The price increase has affected how many models I will buy. It makes me much more selective.
Bingo! I'm buying alot less HWs too. Not because of price, because of quality and too many crap offerings.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
It's my hobby, my collection. I love what I collect and I'm really liking a lot of the new JLs coming out. I am being selective - not picking up everything that's coming out. Sometimes I am surprised to see a piece live that I wasn't originally planning to buy. Most recently, the gold '70 Camaro from MuscleCars1970. I had no intention of getting that one until I saw it on the pegs. GREAT paint job - great rims for that car! I couldn't pass it up! :thumbsup:
There is a price to pay for realism and realism is the reason why I have so few HW in my collection.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Geman57 :wave: I like your train of thought and I'd like to add a boxcar to it. I find many people these days who are very impatient. They want everything NOW so they can move right along and get the next thing NOW and on and on....for the people who operate like this the price increase meant that they couldn't get every car or set RIGHT NOW anymore. It's going to take a little LONGER to, on the same budget, come up with the green to buy them all. So, what to do??? Buy cheaper junk just so they can get them all NOW!!!!! So it's not really about the cost of a single car. It's about how much more time it's going to take to get them all NOW at that price.....

Was I ranting????? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The increase just means having to shop with more self-control (not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination!) I would never sacrifice decent quality for quantity.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Like lemmings over a cliff...

geman57 said:
As a recent convert to collecting Johnny Lightning I constantly hear people complaining about the recent price increase. Some have actually threatened to start collecting Hotwheels again because they sell for $1.00. The sad thing is these people will still spend the same amount, instead of one nice casting they will now own 5 mediocre ones. Collecting has gone from quality to quantity. It's better to have thousands of cars packed away than a few really nice ones that you can display. Oh well to each his own. Me, I am hear to stay. I will glady pay the price. I've been to the other side and I'm not going back again.
Some folks simply have limits/have met limits and don't care to be fleeced.

For what you actually are getting for your buck do some folks (like me) look a bit harder on, and if they conclude as I have, then indeed they will pass on being taken to the cleaners.

So spend the sky's limit geman57. And be sure to put on a convincing face and may you be just as chipper to spend more, more and more (and get less) on the next price increase as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With your attitude you probably did not give up your car because the oil company's would never "fleece" you. Me I bike. Don't even own a car. I have more money to devote to my hobbies. Which is collecting cars. Strange isn't it.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
geman57 said:
Excellent Post geman. :thumbsup:

Russ
Milezone's
http://milezone.com

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Who exactly named you the Grand Poobah of collecting? What puts you in position to pass judgement on other peoples' spending and collecting habits? So you'll "gladly" spend whatever they want to charge - I'm proud of you. Some folks don't have unlimited funds to spend on their hobbies. Others may want to question why prices have risen so rapidly, and they have every right to. I didn't just start collecting Lightning, I've been buying them for 10 or 11 years. When I started they cost $1.99, now they are $4 or $5.00. The only other things I buy that have seen that type of increase are gasoline and healthcare, and those are things I can't do without.
I still buy my cars, and I'm not switching brands, but don't dare tell me I should be "glad" to see over 100% in price increases. I don't spend time on here complaining, it's not in my nature. But if other guys want to vent, then more power to 'em. They've been spending their hard earned money on these products, they've got every right to voice their opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been collecting since the 60's. Nobody wants to criticize anyones collecting habits. We're all in this together. If you look at how much raw materials have increased you might understand the price increases. Also not all of it can be blamed on RC2. Each store sets it's own prices. I can understand it's hard to accept when other companies try and keep the same prices year to year. No I don't buy everything I see, I also have limited resources. I just get tired of people thinking the prices of hobby items should always stay around the same. That 79 cents I paid back in the late 60's for a Hotwheel probably translates to $10.00 or more in todays dollars. How does Mattel do it. Take my word for it. The cars they are selling are not the same and when they are they charge around $5.00. Same price as a Johnny Lightning.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
carnut2256 said:
That was a bit harsh, don't you think?
Deffinitly some harsh posting. I agree that the good quality HW's are (and always have) gone for more money tha JL's. Maybe that started the trend, since people were paying Mattel's prices. On the other hand, people will argue just as hard that mattel keeps their mainline down to a buck or less and still gives us some good castings interspersed with the less than realistic.

I think this particular board is made up of people who mostly prefer the realism that JL has above the other brands. That's why we're here. And we're all paying the new prices whether we like it or not. Material costs aside, I think from a business standpoint, the price increase should've probably been more gradual. I won't stop buying Jl's becaus I like them best. My collection isn't that large, and I've always bout what I like. But I think the cold fact is, if I go out to buy some cars with say $20 in my pocket...I used to be able to come home with about 6 JL's, compared to the current 4. So unless I increase my spending (which I can't except at rare times), I get less while the manufacturer gets the same amount I've always spent on the product at an average clip. I have never rantd about this. In fact, I believe this might be the most I've said on the subject. But I understand why some folks might want to rant. Call it less for more, or less for the same...it still equals less for the consumer. And in these times we live in, some folks (not just those who want it all now), feel the pinch because we're getting gouged on a lot of pricing these days.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, JL's are cheaper than HW Real Wheels which IMO are overpriced and definitly aren't selling. JL needs to keep prices competitive with JADA-some of the Jada cars are quite sharp.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
DadsCoronet said it best. "It's my hobby, my collection, and I love what I collect"
That sums it up for me.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
geman57 said:
I have been collecting since the 60's. Nobody wants to criticize anyones collecting habits. We're all in this together. If you look at how much raw materials have increased you might understand the price increases. Also not all of it can be blamed on RC2. Each store sets it's own prices. I can understand it's hard to accept when other companies try and keep the same prices year to year. No I don't buy everything I see, I also have limited resources. I just get tired of people thinking the prices of hobby items should always stay around the same. That 79 cents I paid back in the late 60's for a Hotwheel probably translates to $10.00 or more in todays dollars. How does Mattel do it. Take my word for it. The cars they are selling are not the same and when they are they charge around $5.00. Same price as a Johnny Lightning.
I too am a since the 60's collector as well with over 37,000 cars in my A-Z all brands collection. 95% of my collection I aquired buying my cars cheap instead of believing hype. I am the type that does not have to have it now; buy it on clearance is fine with me. I can wait.

I can vividly remember saving my allowances and buying my cars: Topper Johnny Lightning cars at Zody's for .29c, Hot Wheels at Gemco for 39c, Matchbox at Toy City for .39c, Huskies at Woolworths for .43c and Mini Dinky's at Hobby City for over a dollar. Odd though I just can't recall the price of these diecast cars jumping over 200% in a given eleven year span.

No, I would not say we are not in this together as I won't get in the Kool Aid line or bend over and pay whatever the price as easy as you and others here gladly might. I'll call a sham like I see it and I believe this recent RC2 increase (seemingly more than many other brands are charging) over RC2's ALREADY WAY OVERPRICED PRODUCT THAT I HAVE BEEN ARGUEING HERE ON HOBBYTALK FOR YEARS) is exactly that.

Show me RC2's pie chart (price per car to produce, packaging, licensing, profit etc), then you can ask me to understand why they cost what they do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts