Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fantastic build. I've seen a couple of kits here and there but have been hoping to find a good one to build with my limited skills....don't suppose anyone here has a suggestion for one?
Hi, Tiberious. Like Mark/Cap. Solo I'm a long time Nautilus fanatic who's spent way too much time at the nautilussubmarine.com forum. While you might find some other odd items around, the general consensus of what is the best kits are those created by Scott Brodeen. Scott's designs are available from two original sources at the moment, Bob Martin at Nautilus Drydocks (www.rc-submarine.com) and Masterpiece Models (masterpiecemodels.com). The 31" kit is sold by both and they both seem to sell them for about the same price. However, I understand that Masterpiece has replaced the metal detail parts with plastic or resin cast parts. I'm not sure how much that would matter for display use, though. I'm acquainted with Bob and he seems to be a pretty good guy. He also sells kits to adapt his sub models for R/C use. Bob seems to just have the 1/77 scale 31"er right now, but is planning to release a 1/48 scale version soon. Masterpiece has the 31" and a 16" version. That smaller one might be a good way to go for a beginner without much shelf space.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks very much for the info! Yes a smaller one would be ideal! Hopefully he comes out with it soon (and I notice it!). I love this design and think that it’s a crime that there has been so little opportunity to get one in the regular market!

Tib

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hoped to help. I may have confused you by speaking in scales, though. Bob's upcoming 1/48 scale Naut should actually be about 3 1/2 feet long-- bigger than the 31" models. The only smaller would be the 16" Masterpiece has on their site now. I haven't built a Masterpiece kit, but I hear they use plastic detail parts rather than white metal there, so assembly may be a bit fiddly. I like that size, though, which would easily fit into a normal model ship collection.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's on me Wade, I wasn't paying attention and took the scale as the size, my bad! Has anyone out there built the Masterpiece kit? Is it any good? I'll have to do some shopping, depending on the price I can probably go a bit larger if it's that much better a kit. I'm not up to your level of skill (darned shaky hands!) so I won't be going to the extreme as you did, but I'd love for it to look good on a shelf!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know anybody who has built the Masterpiece 16", but one my favorite YouTube model vloggers just built their 31". You can check Lou Dalmaso's 4 weeks of vlog entries on it here: Lou Dalmaso . He gives tons of ideas for assembly and has opinions on the kit quality.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Go to Nautilus Dry-docks.
There are a number of How to Videos by someone who really knows the Nautilus. Bob Martin walks novices through several builds with assembly ideas that work.
Here's the link...

Here are several YOU TUBE videos of my build seen here.

This kit goes together like a plastic injected molded kit. Of course you have to come up with your own lighting(As I did), There are plenty of references on line.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts