Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my all time favorite submarines, Harper Goff's design for Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Nautilus.:smile2:

Being the boring type, I built the 31" Model to reflect(as best I can), The 11' Hero Miniature.

The lighting was based on the film, therefore NO overblown way too bright lights. I also elected to use soft yellow lighting. The Wheelhouse lights and the salon outside lights are independent of each other. NOTE... the wheelhouse lights are not green. They never were...ever.Neither were the alligator lights...never. I elected to not light the alligator lights because 99% of the time in the film...they aren't lit:wink2:

I also didn't pre shade the boat because...it looks like Pre Shading!

All the hatches work. the closed breathers are removable to access the salon lights switch .

The boat is weathered...but not overly weathered.The lighting rig is my own. The upper and lower hull separate to allow access to the electronics and are held tightly in place via the front spear and the rear screw.

These last two shots are "in camera" shots of the model.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Beautiful work as always! I guess this is one of the last of the SF 'holy grail' kits, the "kits Aurora should have made" list for a mass produced injection plastic company. There's been quite a good number of those kits released in the last few years so maybe this will move up the list. :)

Huh. maybe we should actually make that list sometime. I think of "kits that Aurora should have made" are a different class of 'holy grail' model than "this is a thing that needs to be made :)please thank you" .

I guess that list could also cover "kits that any company should have made because it was a notable omission at the time" huh? For me there's a simplicity and purity to just think of Aurora 'should have been' phantom kits. After all, they WERE the main, king, go-to company for sci-fi and horror and fantastic subjects :)

(I mean, they made a kit for Doctor Doolittle for gosh sakes!)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have added a full Salon interior to my build. The lighting operates independently of the other features on the model.

I have a Closed Iris if I want to close up the window. I also added raised breathers another display option which can be switched back to the closed position.

·
Super Moderator
24,451 Posts
Nice look at the sub. Could the doggie hear the music during the recording or did you add it later? :cheers2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings Solo,

you did a really nice job on the Nautilus. I've been fascinated with the Nautilus since I saw Leagues back in 1968 as a kid. A few years back I made a CG Nautilus very accurate to the plans Disney has floating around on the net. I decided to make a version that incorporates the plans and the Hero model. It came out very nice and I almost forgot about it until a couple of month ago. Then, for some reason, I got a bug up my nose to incorporate the CG version with my new hobby, 3D printing. So that's where I'm at, converting the CG version to a printable 1/48th scale version. It takes even more time and effort for the conversion. It soon became apparent to me that I would probably not print the hull in it's entirety, instead, construct the hull with traditional techniques and then cover that with 3D printed hull plates that have the rivet detail on them. This approach would also let me overlap the panels the way they were intended to be. Thinking ahead, I'm also looking for electronics. This seems like such a trivial thing, but it's not. For instance, I'm looking for a DC motor that will run the prop. I've already bought a couple of supposedly "quiet" low rpm motors that were anything but. These motors were gear motors bought on ebay and Amazon, but they all produced quite a bit of gear noise at 60rpm. This kills it for me as it ruins the overall illusion when you hear a small gear motor grind and whine. What did you use for your motor and how satisfied are you with the noise level it produces? I may end up going to an electronics surplus store tomorrow and test out several motors instead of buying stuff online only to be disappointed. That's my rant for today.

Cheers

Eric

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greetings Solo,

you did a really nice job on the Nautilus. I've been fascinated with the Nautilus since I saw Leagues back in 1968 as a kid. A few years back I made a CG Nautilus very accurate to the plans Disney has floating around on the net. I decided to make a version that incorporates the plans and the Hero model. It came out very nice and I almost forgot about it until a couple of month ago. Then, for some reason, I got a bug up my nose to incorporate the CG version with my new hobby, 3D printing. So that's where I'm at, converting the CG version to a printable 1/48th scale version. It takes even more time and effort for the conversion. It soon became apparent to me that I would probably not print the hull in it's entirety, instead, construct the hull with traditional techniques and then cover that with 3D printed hull plates that have the rivet detail on them. This approach would also let me overlap the panels the way they were intended to be. Thinking ahead, I'm also looking for electronics. This seems like such a trivial thing, but it's not. For instance, I'm looking for a DC motor that will run the prop. I've already bought a couple of supposedly "quiet" low rpm motors that were anything but. These motors were gear motors bought on ebay and Amazon, but they all produced quite a bit of gear noise at 60rpm. This kills it for me as it ruins the overall illusion when you hear a small gear motor grind and whine. What did you use for your motor and how satisfied are you with the noise level it produces? I may end up going to an electronics surplus store tomorrow and test out several motors instead of buying stuff online only to be disappointed. That's my rant for today.

Cheers

Eric
I purchased the motor from Amazon. I have no idea what the make was. Yes I am very satisfied with it. Very quiet. The rest of the electronics/lighting are my own design.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fantastic build. I've seen a couple of kits here and there but have been hoping to find a good one to build with my limited skills....don't suppose anyone here has a suggestion for one?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts