Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nice bunch of Stangs. The 2000 convertible is actually a new casting, possibly modified or improved. I couldn't tell ya what's different about it let's say over the VIP Mustang convertible but it does have a different casting number ( 235B ). Maybe PMS can tell us.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
That's because it has thin white-wall tires with full wheel discs.
These are called "Real Wheels" by JL.
The others have Cragar mag wheels mounted inside the tires.
The remaining five vehicles may not have "Real Wheels" but do utilize Cragar rims.
I hope this helps.

BYW, I sure like the looks of the 2000 convertible.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It baffles me why they've never put rubber tires on the Mustang II releases. Maybe just one one of the releases, at least. They would look even better!

And I'm yearning for a new '68 casting.

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
accobra64 said:
That's because it has thin white-wall tires with full wheel discs.
These are called "Real Wheels" by JL.
The others have Cragar mag wheels mounted inside the tires.
The remaining five vehicles may not have "Real Wheels" but do utilize Cragar rims.
I hope this helps.

BYW, I sure like the looks of the 2000 convertible.

Cheers. Cobra
The tires on the 65 are actually plastic and not rubber, not real wheels. Yes a plastic tire with thin whitwalls. JL has been using them on a few releases already.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Thanks Gary for the new information on the thin white-wall tire.
I will have to check some of my other castings to see which type are actually used on them.
My CG 22 '72 Grand Prix has "Real Wheels". As it is parked beside my computer.
I will investigate.
Yes, it is a bummer that JL did not use "Real Wheels" on the Mustang II series.
I wonder why. It would have made them even better.

Cheers. Cobra

Cheers. Cobra

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALL Classic Gold will have the real rubber Real wheels for sure. It's a standard for that collection. I think Muscle Cars as well but I am only 90% certain.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
tinywheels said:
nice bunch of Stangs. The 2000 convertible is actually a new casting, possibly modified or improved.
A&B castings designate two different chassis: solid axle (GT) and independent rear (Cobra).

jk

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
got these last week. The 70 Boss 302 is killer.

At first glance the 65 does look like it has real wheels. Took me a minute of investigating to determine if they were rubber or not.

The 69 Shelby casting really deserves rubber tires. Would make a nice addition to the Classic Gold lineup.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
tinywheels said:
your funny ... hahaha ... I hope
Seriously. I'm not kidding. The club car had the Cobra chassis, I think it was A, and the GT has the B chassis; the club car was the debut of the Cobra chassis stamping as it had not been used previously (the VIP and Modern Muscle cars used the GT chassis). That, and the very changeable Mini Cooper/S models, are the only ones I recall having this.

jk

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Good looking set of Mustangs. After completing R1 and R2, I passed on R3 due to the WL issues. For that matter, I still haven't seen many R3s in stores. Wonder if they'll show up at KB at 3/$5.

Not a fan of the hub (hubcaps? :D) on the '65 personally. Glad the WLs are done with white hubs this time.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
tinywheels said:
nice bunch of Stangs. The 2000 convertible is actually a new casting, possibly modified or improved. I couldn't tell ya what's different about it let's say over the VIP Mustang convertible but it does have a different casting number ( 235B ). Maybe PMS can tell us.

http://www.tinywheels.com/
235A is the Cobra, and reflects the independent rear suspension.

235B is the regular convertible.

I don't remember seeing any plain 235(with no letter) castings in my collection. Have you seen any that don't have the A or B?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Jeff Koch said:
Seriously. I'm not kidding. The club car had the Cobra chassis, I think it was A, and the GT has the B chassis; the club car was the debut of the Cobra chassis stamping as it had not been used previously (the VIP and Modern Muscle cars used the GT chassis). That, and the very changeable Mini Cooper/S models, are the only ones I recall having this.

jk
There is also the '69 Shelby, hardtop is 842A, ragtop is 842B, and Zinger, of course, is 842-Z. Note: All the Zinger chassis have the -Z after the casting number so far.

With the Mini, A is the "S" and B is the regular Mini. The bodies are a little different, too, for the tailpipe access hole.

The one that surprised me the most was when I first noticed the Stinger pipe on the VW bug. Details, details.

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wyatt said:
235A is the Cobra, and reflects the independent rear suspension.

235B is the regular convertible.

I don't remember seeing any plain 235(with no letter) castings in my collection. Have you seen any that don't have the A or B?
I thought the Modern Muscle Mustangs were a plain 235 with no letter. I don't have any left to check. If you could check I'd appreciate it..

I do now see that the VIP are 235B.

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeff Koch said:

A&B castings designate two different chassis: solid axle (GT) and independent rear (Cobra).

jk
What I thought you were kidding about is that these JLs had a solid axle or independent. It's the real car you talking about ... dah. What would I know, I'm no Stang fan, although a 70 Mach 1 looks mean.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts