Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Ya'll,

Today I was approached by someone who has what may be a sealed case of 30 Johnny Lightning Muscle Cars USA IV for sale. His asking price was $90, and he said he was not 100% sure that the box was unopened. I'm asking here if something like this is a good investment because this series pre-dates my JL knowledge by several years. ANY input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
As I recall, I think sealed boxes came in 12 packs per one box. But if there's 30 cars in that box then he's looking for $3.00 per car which isn't a bad deal since that's what they were selling for originally at that time. I'd suggest to find out which release he has and for sure if he has 30 cars in that case. If you need some pics of the cars, I suggest you try Wyatt's site and scroll through all of the Series IV releases:

http://www.jlcollector.com/mc4r1.html

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I'm pretty sure Muscle Cars U.S.A. IIII inners were 12 cars per inner, not 30 cars per inner (never heard of 30 cars per inner). The asking price of $90 for 12 cars cars ($7.50 a car) sounds HIGH IMHO, but if he is selling 30 cars for $90 it doesn't sound bad. There were 6 different JL castings in Muscle Cars U.S.A. IIII, so there would be 2 complete sets of 6 cars with a chance for a WL that isn't worth much now.

Muscle Cars U.S.A. III inners had 20 cars in them. There were 10 cars in each of 203 series inners (203-01, 203-02, 203-03, 203-04, 203-05, and 203-06). I wonder if he meant Muscle Cars U.S.A. series 203-04? (series 4 of the 203 Muscle Cars U.S.A. that has 20 cars per inner) A 203-04 WL red 1967 GTO would be nice to pull from an inner.

Here's a pic of a Muscle Cars U.S.A. 203-05 inner. It had 20 cars per inner.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info guys! $3 a car is a great way to look at it. The number 30 struck me as odd as well, which I why I included it in my post. Here is a picture of the box in question:

It looks like a second round of tape, but there appear to be some nice pieces in the release, so maybe it comes home with me after all...

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Thanks so much for the info guys! $3 a car is a great way to look at it. The number 30 struck me as odd as well, which I why I included it in my post. Here is a picture of the box in question:

It looks like a second round of tape, but there appear to be some nice pieces in the release, so maybe it comes home with me after all...

Thanks again!

I'd have to take a chance on that for $90 ($3 a car for 30 cars).

Please post some pics of the cars if you buy it. I'm curious.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'd say that's a good price ($90) assuming it wasn't opened and nitpicked through. JLs seem to go for $1.50-$3 for the later PM era releases depending the castings nowadays.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Which cars are in this release?

30 count box... I don't recall.

Series 204-01 through 204-06 were all 6 cars each X 2 in the inners. 12 total per inner

203-01 through 203-06 were all 10 car sets, and they would have been 2 per case...20 per inner.

205-01 through 205-07 were all 6 cars per series X 12 per case.

series 8-20 were funky pre and post JL #'s sets.

...Unless its a series 202-04. That series had 7 cars, and I am totally unsure how they were packed.

Does the box have a series # on it like the ones I mentioned?

Make sure it's not these!!! (No WL's)!!

http://www.jlcollector.com/mc1r4.html

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I REALLY appreciate everyone's feedback! I've made arrangements to go see the case tomorrow AM (its a bit of a drive, but what are saturdays for?) so I'll let everyone know what happens.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Which cars are in this release?

30 count box... I don't recall.

Does the box have a series # on it like the ones I mentioned?

Make sure it's not these!!! (No WL's)!!

http://www.jlcollector.com/mc1r4.html

I think your guess is a good guess Paul. I didn't start to collect JL cars until January 1998, so I never saw a 30 count JL box in a store with the 200 series cars. It makes sense because the picture of the case has the number 200-140 on the box. I don't have a carded version of these cars handy for me to look to see if 200-140 is on the back of the card.

It's not worth $90 for 30 of the old (first release) Muscle Cars U.S.A. cars. I wouldn't pay $30 for 30 of these cars.

Does anyone have a carded version of these cars to verify the series number on the back of the card?

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
200-140 (about 1995?) Would Be Before The 202-04 Series Cars.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
I bought these when I was starting collecting little cars. Even before looking for HW's I looked for this original MCUSA.
I have some cases with these inside, and I do know they stacked the inside like a jigsaw, and made them all fit. Gotta dig one of these relics out and check the box.

I wouldn't make that road trip quite yet, unless you have some stores to check on the way...

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I bought these when I was starting collecting little cars. Even before looking for HW's I looked for this original MCUSA.
I have some cases with these inside, and I do know they stacked the inside like a jigsaw, and made them all fit. Gotta dig one of these relics out and check the box.

I wouldn't make that road trip quite yet, unless you have some stores to check on the way...

Can you take a picture of the back of the card (so we can see the series number) and post it Paul?

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
The 4-5 boxes I have are burried in the deepest recesses of my spare bedroom. Gonna try and look this weekend after work both days and let you know.

Too late to go rummaging tonight. I did, however go up to see if they were on top somewhere. (they weren't):(

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I replied with the idea these were from post '02 or so period of JLs. The mid 90s stuff imo is definitely not worth the cost here. The early PM era JLs were nice castings for the time period esp compared to brand x, but are pretty crude by today's standards. Perhaps this was ill-informed advice on my part.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Looking at the picture of the case, those appear to be the first Muscle Cars release from 1995. Most people don't like them because the castings look like 4x4's compared to today's cars. These are worth $1 apiece on a good day, so $90 for the case is certainly NOT a good investment. However, if you like them for yourself and aren't worried about value, then buy the case.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK - best to go informed!
I'm on my way up that direction anyway, but I'll play it safe.
Thanks again everyone - I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Whoa! stop the presses!

Do not buy this case at this price! although I'm afraid I'm to late with this post,it appears as if Franklin has left his home to inspect this case.

This is the 1st series of Musclecars USA release 4.

There are no wl's in this series.

Franklin...please do not buy diecast as an investment, especially if your unsure of what your buying.

Let's all hope he does not buy at this price.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Whoa! stop the presses!

Do not buy this case at this price! although I'm afraid I'm to late with this post,it appears as if Franklin has left his home to inspect this case.

This is the 1st series of Musclecars USA release 4.

There are no wl's in this series.

Franklin...please do not buy diecast as an investment, especially if your unsure of what your buying.

Let's all hope he does not buy at this price.

If Franklin read all the previous posts, I'm sure he knows the cars aren't worth $90.

I hope he didn't buy them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Greetings Ya'll!

I did NOT buy the case. It was in fact still sealed, and he did offer to come down on the price. Based on what I learned here, though, I passed. However, I actually went on the drive for a few other things as well, and they turned out to be exactly what I was hoping for (pics below).

Thank you all so very much for your help! I genuinely appreciate every post, as I did not know a thing about the older JLs and was looking for an investment for my collection. I was able to come away with a smile on my face and a slightly smaller dent in my wallet, but I'd have been at a loss without you all.

Pics of the new additions:

Tonka Hydraulic Dump Truck (hydraulic arm still functioning!)

Tonka Cement Mixer (complete with legos and 3 magnets in the tumbler)

AND

An original Structo Bulldozer - original box still stapled together!

The Structo box has $4.00 written on it, which at the time was a HUGE markup over the $2.99 asking price on the original sticker from Joe's Bike and Hobby (still attached to the side!)

Thanks again everyone!

:wave:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
200-140 must be the original Muscle Cars Series 4 (http://www.jlcollector.com/mc1r4.html). I have in my hand a series 2 Chevelle that is 200-120.

I am certain these were 3 complete sets per inner making 30 cars per inner. I used to see 3 complete sets on the pegs when they were new.

As far as what they are worth, I'll be glad to sell any and all extras I have for $3 each. I would value them at about $1.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts