Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a disc that gets a very high recommendation.

Universal has just released the movies MUNSTER, GO HOME! and THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE on a dual layer DVD.

Both of these movies were previously released by GoodTimes on DVD. The fact is, the GoodTimes disc of MUNSTER, GO HOME! was very good. It's a rather historic disc for me because it was the very first DVD I ever mailordered about 6 years ago when I was just getting into DVD. I never saw their release of the second movie.

Although the GoodTimes disc of MUNSTER, GO HOME! was very nice, it was a full frame transfer of a theatrical movie. The new Universal release is ANAMORPHIC widescreen. We all know I love anamorphic widescreen. Not only is it in it's proper aspect ratio, we get the increased resolution of an enhanced transfer. It looks great. There's a touch more grain than some folks would like and a bit of edge enhancement but it's very well done for a 40 year old movie (it CAN'T be 40 years old...I'm barely old enough to...never mind). The color saturation is phenomenal. If it wasn't a Munsters movie, I'd say it was oversaturated. But the comic book like color is very fitting for something we are used to seeing in B&W.

I watched THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE for the first time ever and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. This was a made for TV production from 1981 and is presented in it's proper 4x3 aspect ratio. I had low expectations and I often hear this referred to as an inferior work. In fact, I thought is was very well done and extremely entertaining. Compared to big budget theatrical film, it may well be inferior. But compared to the TV show from which it came, the production values were very high. The plot is pure kid stuff but this is the Munsters after all. Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis looked like they hadn't aged a day or lost a beat in the 15 years between the TV show and this movie. Yvonne DeCarlo was starting to show her age but that's likely a product of that long clingy gown that doesn't give much leeway to disguise a few extra pounds. Of course, a new Eddie and Marylin were required since Butch Patrick and Pat Priest would have long since outgrown their roles. But it was a fun flick and there are lots of cameos by the classic Universal monsters.

Screen cap from MUNSTER, GO HOME!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The colors look outstanding in the screen capture. I love it when the color red looks that bright and clear without bleeding. I've got to get it!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Heh... it's awesome to see a bit of natural skin tone peeking out of Fred Gwynne's collar where his Herman makeup has worn off. Really gives off a cool "old-school Hollywood makeup" vibe. :dude:

Brent Gair said:
Here's a couple of screen grabs from THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Same as Fred , i passed on it last weekend but have had second thoughts since .
guess it looks like i'll have to pick it up .
thanks for the heads up and the screen caps Brent .
hb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts