Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The project I'm currently working on is using a combination of home-made and purchased decals. In some places, they will overlap, or be applied is layers.

Can I apply a decal directly to a decal, or do I need to clear-coat in between?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
You can do it, but the water will make the two slip around, usually opposed to one another.

A clear coat might be better to lock the first decal down.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you do not use a clearcoat between them- give them some time to dry out. Let the first decal dry/cure if you will, a day or two before doing the other layer.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,311 Posts
Yeah, just let the first one dry before you apply the second one and you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
443 Posts
just remember that looks can be deceiving, and a decal that looks dry might still be movable if moisture in applied. So yeah, give the first layer plenty of drying time.

Josh

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Letting the first one dry is essential. Using MicroSol or MicroSet on the first decal will help it dry tight on the model surface. Don't use MicroSol or MicroSet on the second decal until it's in place and nearly dry and then apply a little carefully. You may move the first decal if there's too much solvent.

You say you're using homemade decals so be careful about the translucency of those. You may be able to "see" the first decal through the second. Test the translucency using a duplicate homemade decal before applying any decals. You might need to change your approach.

Jim

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

I worked on this last night, and had no problems whatsoever applying the second layer of decals withour clearcoating.

In this case, I was applying JT Graphics decals over my own, so translucency was not a problem. Basically, my home-printed decals are for panel shading, and then I'm using JT's for name, insignia, etc.

My decals dried for a full 24 hours before I applied the second layer.

Thanks again,
Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts