Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am into RC airplanes, especially aerotowing. Recently, I started offering Multi Function Displays (MFD) for cockpit instrument panels. A fellow modeler suggested to post the video of my SciFi MFD here:

Available here:

http://www.iflytailies.com/store/multi-function-displays/25-x-25mm-tflcd/

It is my understanding that SciFi models are smaller than RC airplane models. The smallest screen size I have available is 20x14mm. The SciFi image from above may be loaded onto any screen I currently offer except the 1x1" Economy. We can custom load many different images onto those MFDs, although this is my only SciFi image at the moment. Again I am new to SciFi modeling, but willing to learn. Feel free to PM me with questions and comments.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
http://shop.4dsystems.com.au/4dgl-display-modules/307-oled-96-g2gfx.html

Or they could just go here and get them for about half the price, unless you feel that having someone else convert the videos, worth the extra $48.00. All the software to work with these displays, including transcode video files are free on their website. I looked at these displays back about 2009 as a possible display in my J-2 for the communication console, after loading a few converted videos, I found the resolution soooo low that I passed on using them and they're too large to fit in any of the Moebius Vipers so that's out.....:drunk: IMHO, if anyone has an interest in these displays, take a look at the manufacture's website for more and better info. Just a thought......:wave:

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
That's fantastic!
A couple examples spring to mind.

Almost any star trek, any series.
Specifically, the original has tv screens above the work stations on the bridge. Those are in the ~1" range.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Any of HAL9000's computer screens would rock for 2001 fans with larger scale model kits (specifically, Captain Cardboard, more specifically the 1/12 EVAPod and upcoming Command Module.)

Is it possible for the user to load imagery or does it have to be done at your end?

It may not work in some applications as Teslabe mentions, but other applications, like straight up HAL graphics, it might do well. But with HAL, there are so many possible screens that it gets awful expensive, fast. Same for the TOS Bridge @ almost 2 screens per station...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
our screens also come with an SD-card slot. We could preload for you, unless you know how to program the software and load it onto the card.

·
Registered
321 Posts
our screens also come with an SD-card slot. We could preload for you, unless you know how to program the software and load it onto the card.
Thank you for dropping in and sharing the link, I think these are really nice. Several have been attempted for individual kits that I'm aware of (and have seen in person). It's definitely a fun addition to any model - especially in the SF crowd. And yes, there are plenty of folks who'd be perfectly fine shelling out extra bucks for a quality solution that doesn't require tinkering with low-level hardware & software (not that there's anything wrong with that). If I can slap in an SD card and go... NICE!

If you're looking into the Sci-Fi model field further, there's recent news that the Enterprise Bridge model kit is being updated and re-released this next year by Round2. Certainly a subject worth a small screen treatment (or twenty).

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts